"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

"secret sauce" = win
Speedplay is the devil!

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Post tt interview: "...I went into today thinking I'm going to try to limit my losses... to go through the finish line with the fastest time, I really didn't see that coming."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/07/ ... ean_295608
Not a ringing endorsement from JV. Obviously he's got some bad blood with Rupert's boys...

Leviathan

by Leviathan

actually the interview was more balanced than I thought it was going to be. Its a fair point that at this stage, after 100 years of "assistance" no one in cycling has the right to be assumed clean. Mind you Ive yet to read on here a Brit (or a Kenyan) saying "yes hes doping" do its nice to see national bias still holding good...

djconnel

by djconnel

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

djconnel wrote:quintana

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

kbbpll wrote:Post tt interview: "...I went into today thinking I'm going to try to limit my losses... to go through the finish line with the fastest time, I really didn't see that coming."

says a guy who wears a yellow jersey, has recently stormed onto Ventoux, won a TT stage and is pretty much unbeatable whenever road goes up.. i wonder if he really is so stupid, or thinks others are. so lame :doh:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Like I said....he is portraying a facade. He thinks we are that stupid to believe it.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

mdeth1313 wrote:"secret sauce" = win

It aint 'reggae reggae' that's for sure....

fa63

by fa63

tymon_tm wrote:
kbbpll wrote:Post tt interview: "...I went into today thinking I'm going to try to limit my losses... to go through the finish line with the fastest time, I really didn't see that coming."

says a guy who wears a yellow jersey, has recently stormed onto Ventoux, won a TT stage and is pretty much unbeatable whenever road goes up.. i wonder if he really is so stupid, or thinks others are. so lame :doh:

My thoughts exactly.

btompkins0112 wrote:Like I said....he is portraying a facade. He thinks we are that stupid to believe it.

I am starting to think the same.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Given that a TT is basically man-vs-man (w/ no other variables like a huge break potentially screwing you over), I wonder how much of the TT (uphill and down) was "coached". i.e. I'd be interested to hear the radio comms from Sky, I'd bet on it being like "slow down, we can't pull a minute gap on Contador, it would raise suspicion". Eeking out a win by a few seconds while going last seems all too coincidental.

Am I being too cynical?

MikeyT

by MikeyT

Swings and roundabouts. Had Contador had switched bikes it could have been a completely different result. Love or hate Sky you have to agree they couldn't have planned that TT any better.

Froome is relatively inexperienced when it comes to dealing with the media. It's entirely possible that he just trying to be humble and therefore down plays everything. The flip side to that is he's doped up to the eye balls and is trying to hide it by spouting complete nonsense as a diversionary tactic :shock:

KB

by KB

Leviathan wrote:actually the interview was more balanced than I thought it was going to be. Its a fair point that at this stage, after 100 years of "assistance" no one in cycling has the right to be assumed clean. Mind you Ive yet to read on here a Brit (or a Kenyan) saying "yes hes doping" do its nice to see national bias still holding good...

I'm British, but it's difficult to understand this thing about nationality. When Froome opens his mouth he speaks with a South African accent, and it's doubtful he's ever spent much time in Blighty, so it could be construed as a flag of convenience. Based on the way people talk, then the first Brit on this Tour would be Dan Martin (British Junior RR Champ; speaks with a pronounced Birmingham accent, but chooses to ride for Ireland, principally because all the funding went in to track, not road).
Froome: I could say yes, he's doping, but I don't know, so as I've said in earlier posts, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise, which is my reading of JV’s comments. And I would do that regardless of nationality. I’ve followed every Tour since 1967, so the doping issue is nothing new to me, and nothing surprises me.
We also need to understand where British sport has come from. In the 96 Olympics, we won 1 gold medal. At the last 2 Olympics, it’s approx. 20 times better. The UK Govt put money into sport and reaped the benefits, but it’s about results. I think the catalyst for cycling was largely based on the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) of developing talent. The Brits envied the way the Aussie track team were so much better. The road was seen as far more complicated.
Then Sky came along and funded it to a level much higher than the other teams and I believe that’s why they are getting the results. However, I think in view of the witch hunt currently underway against everything Team Sky, I believe they have to divulge all their records to WADA. But even then, people’s prejudices will never be assuaged judging by some of the rants on here.

wingguy

by wingguy

ricerocket wrote:I'd be interested to hear the radio comms from Sky, I'd bet on it being like "slow down, we can't pull a minute gap on Contador, it would raise suspicion". Eeking out a win by a few seconds while going last seems all too coincidental.

Am I being too cynical?

Yes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com