"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Just watched the video.... So awesome. And a timely example of the entertainment provided by someone taking a risk and defying the 'odds' to attack solo and hang on to win. That is what is great about cycling.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

tymon_tm wrote:it's so comforting to hear doping doesn't actually screw up every pro's brain

You gotta give 'em some slack. These guys are pro cyclists because they're good at sitting down and twiddling their legs around. Rational thought is an optional extra.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

"I've ALWAYS wanted to win a race like that. Went w/my gut, put my head down and never looked back." - Taylor Phinney

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Pa.......wait for it......nache

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

It was damn impressive! I hope he can eventually do the same at Roubaix one day

Horze

by Horze

KWalker wrote:Won nothing? You must be oblivious. Wiggins won a lot before Sky. According to the Secret Pro, the peloton believes and respects Froome. Who else on Sky came from nowhere?

Everyone knows except paerhaps forum racers..
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

airwise wrote:Now if he started using a power meter and was signed by the likes of Sky he might start winning without wasting his energy.

To then be accused of racing like a robot and have the 'anti-powermeter' brigade deride him for 'racing to numbers'?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Besides which, not as if he hasn't used one. And he races with their head unit. Good chance he trains on one at some point.

airwise wrote:I tend to apply an asterix to all amazing Spanish performances in the Vuelta given the country's record. Sorry.

Luckily, Italians didn't dope for the Giro.

Or Turks for the Tour of Turkey.

Or...

Oh, wait.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

So no one wants to take Zabel's green jerseys away? Seems like they should go with his new admission.

boysa

by boysa

I would love to see some consistency. Either strip them all or leave them all alone. Too much grey area for my liking.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

53x12

by 53x12

I think that is the biggest issue. The sport needs to be consistent in punishment. Might have started with Armstrong but must continue with Virenque, Zabel...etc.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

KB

by KB

53x12 wrote:.... The sport needs to be consistent in punishment. ...

Agree with that.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Young Danish gun upsets the big boys, impressive....

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Great win by Phinney. Drama was increased by another T.O.P. on-screen graphics cock-up when it said he had 1.4Km to go instead of 1K.

airwise

by airwise

Tinea Pedis wrote:To then be accused of racing like a robot and have the 'anti-powermeter' brigade deride him for 'racing to numbers'?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I agree. But racing by numbers is what wins in this day and age. By all means take away PM's, Team radios and Satellite links to the cars and make it more like the old days. Then you might get riders not waiting until 5km from the summit of the final col to attack.

There will always be two sides of the coin I guess. But for me, if you want to win under the current regulations, it's a real long shot doing something unexpected. Sports science and data analysis has ensured that IMHO. Racing in the eighties was far more fun - but then we didn't have the TV access to it that we have today.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I do think training with powermeters and racing with them have caused some people not to actually "race" their bikes. Example: Guy has been training and knows that his LT is somewhere around 320 watts. He is so set on this number and dialed in that he can repeatedly, while training, hit this number. He gets into a race situation though and goes in the break...Thing is, in the first part of the break, that number is higher than he is used to seeing and he starts thinking to himself that he cannot hold the higher power numbers he is seeing, in which case he dials it back and comes out of the break, or just gets dropped because he thinks he cannot go harder.
Over simplified I know, but this is a scenario.
I know myself in a race recently that I was hitting numbers on a climb that I have never hit on my own training, but if I was strictly racing by the powermeter, and not what my competition was doing, I would have not been able to stay with the surges.
I think you should have your display set to show you a training day data and a race day data. Race day data is MPH, time and distance.

Just my $.02

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?