"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

xena wrote:If it hurts less and you push harder then the chances are that you could well be doing more harm to your injured body part. If riders are just taking pain killers to get some kind of gain then they are in danger of becoming drug addicts. Pain killers are very addictive for a lot of people.

We're not just talking about pain from injury. A large number of riders are taking painkillers to dull the 'hurt' from riding at the limit.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I think they should just go old school and start smoking fags again.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16627574/

An oldy, but wada was looking into banning nicotine.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/olympics/sto ... rc=desktop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

MattSoutherden wrote:
xena wrote:If it hurts less and you push harder then the chances are that you could well be doing more harm to your injured body part. If riders are just taking pain killers to get some kind of gain then they are in danger of becoming drug addicts. Pain killers are very addictive for a lot of people.

We're not just talking about pain from injury. A large number of riders are taking painkillers to dull the 'hurt' from riding at the limit.

I take on board your point. What will be legal? Will sugar puffs be banned :D
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

jooo

by jooo

What about pasta? I'm addicted to pasta... :lol:

xena wrote:If riders are just taking pain killers to get some kind of gain then they are in danger of becoming drug addicts.

You don't think it's already a problem for some/many?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

headwind816 wrote:Racers are paid to race and win NOW without regard towards their health. If a racer cannot perform, the team will get a new racer. Therefore a racer who wants to continue to employed will do what is necessary to not be marked for replacement.

Someone needs to tell Andy Schleck.

xena
Banned

by xena

jooo wrote:What about pasta? I'm addicted to pasta... :lol:

xena wrote:If riders are just taking pain killers to get some kind of gain then they are in danger of becoming drug addicts.

You don't think it's already a problem for some/many?

I knew about Tramadol. I have only read about it recently concerning the impact it seems to be having in cycling.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

Using Tramadol in a bike race seems unbelievably dangerous under any circumstances. I had Tramadol prescribed for me by a doctor about 3 months ago for a back injury from a bike crash). I took it one night about a half hour before bedtime and then could barely find the bed. (Last time I ever tried that...no pain , but decided I was better off without it until my spinal operation). I am sure it works differently on different people, but I can just imagine what effect it would have on me after a 4-5 hour ride. (The doctor had tried oxycoten (sp?) and hydrocordone (sp?) on me earlier and I felt absolutely no relief or effect with those medications.)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I had a back injury early this year, had a mild-ish painkiller prescribed and rode like garbage if I had one any time before I rode.

xena
Banned

by xena

La Flèche Wallonne tomorrow. I opt for Nibali. He had a little dig on Sunday and It's a bit of a longshot but he's my choice.

Rob81

by Rob81

it seems a return to the "low octane" products with painkillers and ADHD medications(?) bouncing back. Atleast in the windows where these products cannot be detected and -I guess- with no effect on bio passport. About different "effects", and being in topic with "PRO", Millar described in his book the use of Stilnox (and fighting it, forcing to stay awake) to infuse an "energizing" effect.

G60

by G60

People react differently to Tramadol, it can knock some people out, cause seizures in others (even at recommended therapeutic doses), cause euphoria, and CNS excitement in others, etc.

I'm certain, due to it not being in the WADA list, nor a controlled substance in the US, it lulls athletes (and other folks) into a false sense of "then it can't be bad for me..."

Working in a retail pharmacy, I see how people get when they get hooked on Tramadol, and I'm very surprised it's not controlled in the US, nor on the WADA list.

glepore

by glepore

Dunno. Had a VERY bad spinal cord injury and took Tramadol for a long time post op. It is nothing like any morphine derivative I've experienced. Had all of the mental/physical effects of Tylenol but was awesome at controlling pain. Jeez, some riders take Ibu for the same purpose, Tramadol is 10X as effective and at least for me had the same level of cognitive impairment.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

KWalker wrote:Tinea- you will surely see a lot more of the doping side in Belgium.

At no point did I say it doesn't happen or that I've not seen it.

Point is, we have Mr Internetz making accusations based off anecdotal experience. Until it's proven (one way or another), why the need to keep throwing cycling's image in the toilet. For a substance that isn't banned, no less. THAT is what I have issue with.

Also making insinuations about other riders notwithstanding.

The reality is, when you're a struggling rider (like me) you have to constantly fight all this to actually have the broader public see your sport worthy of their time and investment. Not that we're some doped up bunch of skinny boys on bicycles. If someone came in to your work and started suggesting you were abusing a substance, that you're allowed to take, you'd be upset. Yet somehow that logic is not applicable in reverse.

Rant over. And fool on me for getting pulled in to another doping mud-slinging match.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ok, now that's done with :D ....

La Fleche Wallonne today! My picks have all been close but no cigar so far for the classics season so, take it with a grain of salt.

My outsiders-

1- Bentacur 20-1
2- Poels 40-1
3- Samu 50-1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

indigo

by indigo

Having my best season ever for cycling betting (alas, that is not saying much !)

Picks are Slagter & Betancur.

By the way, anyone know what is up with Dan Martin ?