HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1564, 1565, 1566, 1567, 1568, 1569, 1570 ... 1772  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm 

SolidSnake03 wrote:
Interesting, I guess I have only seen the evade once on a local ride and aside from that it is just all the shot's of the pro's I'm basing this off of. The one look at the Evade "in the wild" wasn't enough to tell if it was really different in any way. To my relatively un-discerning eye it didn't look different...

Also, seems strange to me that they would produce a different version of the helmet for the pro's but I guess it's possible. Anyone have any real insight or proof of this aside from just looking at pictures? It's an interesting an idea but needs some backing to me.

It might also be a difference in the Euro vs American market thing as there are safety standard differences. I have seen about 25 evades face to face and none of them look like what you see on TV. It is anecdotal and a theory, but the reality is I havent seen an evade on anyone in person that didnt look terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:52 pm 

Quintana isn't even going to the tour.. Can't really understand it..

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:52 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 pm 

SolidSnake03 wrote:
Interesting, I guess I have only seen the evade once on a local ride and aside from that it is just all the shot's of the pro's I'm basing this off of. The one look at the Evade "in the wild" wasn't enough to tell if it was really different in any way. To my relatively un-discerning eye it didn't look different...

Also, seems strange to me that they would produce a different version of the helmet for the pro's but I guess it's possible. Anyone have any real insight or proof of this aside from just looking at pictures? It's an interesting an idea but needs some backing to me.

My teammate has both in size M. Measured width is actually the same on both of them, but the Evade sticks up higher and has a longer profile. He says it cools better, but wears the Air Attack most of the time because its smaller. I agree that it does not look like what you see on TV. I wouldn't put it past Specialized because they have lots of pro stuff you can't buy: saddles (the weird Romin hybrid Boonen and Renshaw are on), frames (Boonen and other taller riders have a 60cm TT with a 170mm HT), and shoes (most riders have custom lasts and use the evasive pro-only white shoes).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:07 pm 

djm wrote:

Well that's surprising. Why is that? :noidea:

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 pm 

My betfair account is pretty pissed off that Degenkolb couldn't use that great classics sprint at MSR, but I have to say that sentimentally it's great to see him win G-W. Let's see what he's got next wknd...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:23 pm 

stella, they are going for Valverde. Quintana will ride the Giro, and has stated that it is against his will and that that he will do his best, as far as I can recall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:41 pm 

KWalker wrote:
My teammate has both in size M. Measured width is actually the same on both of them, but the Evade sticks up higher and has a longer profile. He says it cools better, but wears the Air Attack most of the time because its smaller. I agree that it does not look like what you see on TV. I wouldn't put it past Specialized because they have lots of pro stuff you can't buy: saddles (the weird Romin hybrid Boonen and Renshaw are on), frames (Boonen and other taller riders have a 60cm TT with a 170mm HT), and shoes (most riders have custom lasts and use the evasive pro-only white shoes).

That is a good point about the amount of custom Specialized stuff you see *frames and saddles*. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed the odd saddle Boonen and Renshaw have. The saddle is interesting to me personally because I thought Boonen was basically responsible for the design of the Chicane and yet this weird hybrid mix and match thing is clearly different still.

Anyhow, that is interesting that they are the same width measured out. I'm actually considering one of those two helmets not because of the aero benefit but because of that reduced wind noise that I have heard quite a few people say they have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:52 pm 

xnavalav8r wrote:
I stand by my original remark. If the GT contenders for the Giro don't perform to their expected levels I will eat my words. Every big GT team in recent history has followed a similar pattern of performance. If you associate it with doping, then that's your assumption. I'm just referring to patterns of performance... however the gains may be achieved.

Oh come on. You can't talk about "Something 'magical' happening" and pretend you weren't implying doping. State your opinions straight out or don't state them at all. Trying to play both sides doesn't come across well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 pm 

djm wrote:

Well that sucks. If it's right I can only imagine they feel he needs another season to raise his all-round level before taking on the Sky boys head-to-head and they think he can definitely win a GT while doing it if he focuses purely on the Giro and the Vuelta.

Still though, you'd think he' be odds on for a TdF podium and that's a heck of a thing to throw away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:04 pm 

djm wrote:
stella, they are going for Valverde. Quintana will ride the Giro, and has stated that it is against his will and that that he will do his best, as far as I can recall.

Hmm a heart break at the 2012 Giro. Third in 2013 at the tour.
Now Contador is back in shape. Seems like another Jan Ulrich. Wrong time wrong place.

Oops realized I'm talking about Rodriguez :oops:

OK Quintana different dude.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 am 

Who thinks Valverde has a better chance of winning the TdF GC (or green or polka dot for the matter) than Quinatana has of winning the KOM jersey?

My ~9.3kg / ~20.5lb Scale 29 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:25 am 

Quintana is also a more consistent TT rider than Valverde.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:19 pm 

Helmets are very sensitive things... Rigorous Testing and certificates, etc..., life can depend on them.
So I can't see a lighter, less material, less safe helmet used in the pro peloton, than in the general market. Especially after WW's death.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:50 pm 

Valverde is also a spanish star rider on a spanish team...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 pm 

BINGO!!! :thumbup: :exactly:

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 pm 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1564, 1565, 1566, 1567, 1568, 1569, 1570 ... 1772  Next