Scale - hanging or the flat table top kind?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

I'm looking to get a scale. Is it better to get table-top kind or hanging kind? If hanging scale, can I weight small things with it? I was thinking of using a container of sorts (like a small bucket), and subtract that individual weight from total weight of whatever part is in there. Don't really care about weighing individual pieces, more about the whole bike, hence why I'm leaning towards that type.

Any suggestions on which is a good but not too expensive model?

Thanks for the tips.

by Weenie

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You will want both.

Even if you declare no interest in weighing individual parts now... you will soon enough. You definitely will.

For the hanging, you can go with the Park Tool one, or for a much more affordable option seek out digital scales used for fishing. Ultimate Sports also makes a nice one that works really well (± 10g accuracy).

For table, many options available. Personal favourite is the MyWeigh 7001DX. Accuracy within 1g, up to 7000g capacity, sturdy, backlit, and comes with all sorts of sometimes useful accessories. So the hanging scale can be used for anything over 6.8kg... and when you're going Weight Weenie on your project, you can even weigh the complete built bike entirely on the table top model. Sweet!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

go for both, like prendrefeu said you will want them in the near future.

The park scale is waaaay to expensive for such a simple scale. You are better off searching for a "hanging scale" on ebay. While you are at it search for a table top scale as well. (0.1 grams is prefered) If you look good you can get them shipped to your house for less then $ 20. (for the two of them)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

IAmtnbikr

by IAmtnbikr

Ultimate hanging scale works well for me.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

thanks guys. who knew there's a whole world of digital hanging fish scales out there. :lol:

kregg

by kregg

jz4nyc wrote:thanks guys. who knew there's a whole world of digital hanging fish scales out there. :lol:

People who weigh fish :noidea:

:mrgreen:
Tarmac SL3 S-Works 13.75lbs 6.24kg
Jamis Xenith Pro 16.1lbs 7.31kg

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

He is quite expensive. You can find cheaper versions on the bay.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

gumgardner

by gumgardner

It's only $27. I saw cheaper ones on eBay (around $3.00) from
Hong kong but I figured no way these could be any good. Frankie-B...what model do you have?

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Anyone have suggestions on a good table top one?

I bought a $10 or so one on eBay, and the results change every time I put something on it. Anywhere from 0-50% error. :evil:

Edit: looks like this model:

by Weenie

Camilo

by Camilo

For both the table top and hanging scales, you can find very inexpensive ones at your local big box store, general type store and/or sports store. Cooking area and/or fishing area of the store. These things are only $10 retail locally, and then you can return it if you don't think it's accurate.

Me? I use the postal scale at work, set at kg/gm. and my cheap-o hanging fishing scale (which I checked and is plenty accurate).