Florida--Coast to Coast

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

Once completed, this 270-mile stretch of car-free trails through some of the most beautiful preserves across the state of Florida, may one day become a must-ride pilgrimage for cyclists of all levels.

We run along the 22-mile West Orange Trail segment on our way out to the hills of Clermont and Monteverde weekly (yes, we do have hills in FL...we do around 4000ft of climbing during a 3-hour ride and Sugarloaf hits 15%...albeit for just one kilometer :) )...the lakes, swamps, building-size oak trees and wildlife make for a simply magnificent ride...no matter how many times we ride it.

Just 66 miles and $74 million to go!
http://www.fgtf.org/doc/ctcc_map_final.pdf?utm_source=July+2014&utm_campaign=July+2014&utm_medium=email
Training Days: Colnago Cristallo
Mountain Days: Colnago AMOREps
Off Days: Ducati 600SS and Bimota DB1
Track Days: Honda CBR1000RR
Yesterday: Colnago Regal

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

DucatiRacer wrote:(yes, we do have hills in FL...we do around 4000ft of climbing during a 3-hour ride and Sugarloaf hits 15%...albeit for just one kilometer :) ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida wrote: Highest point 345 ft (105 m)
Lowest point sea level
So unless there are bridges or tunnels not accounted for in the highest and lowest points in the state, the maximum climb would be no more than 345 feet elevation gain. A 1 km climb at 15% would be 485.56 feet elevation gain. You seem to have some awfully generous rounding, or play fast and loose with figures like you're a politician. Maybe the 15% ( :roll: ) grade doesn't really last 1 km? As to the 4000 feet of climbing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

It is maximum 15 percent, but probably averages 7-8 percent at most. Still a tough hill, especially when the Horrible Hundred century ride dumps you at the base of it at around mile 80 if I remember correctly.

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

HammerTime2 wrote:
DucatiRacer wrote:(yes, we do have hills in FL...we do around 4000ft of climbing during a 3-hour ride and Sugarloaf hits 15%...albeit for just one kilometer :) ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida wrote: Highest point 345 ft (105 m)
Lowest point sea level
So unless there are bridges or tunnels not accounted for in the highest and lowest points in the state, the maximum climb would be no more than 345 feet elevation gain. A 1 km climb at 15% would be 485.56 feet elevation gain. You seem to have some awfully generous rounding, or play fast and loose with figures like you're a politician. Maybe the 15% ( :roll: ) grade doesn't really last 1 km? As to the 4000 feet of climbing?

Ah, another Sugarloaf doubter...I love it! Let's get technical then shall we...

Sugarloaf Mountain Rd is .72 miles from start to top, or 1.158 km...the climb averages 7-8% and reaches a peak of 14-17% depending on who's Garmin you're looking at...officially, it tops out at 15%, but most of the locals claim 17%. Hill is perfect for climbing repeats and power intervals...up one side and down the other, which is about 6% average and tops out at 12%...we usually do this 5-6 times...head over to Buckhill from there, back around the long way on 455 to The Wall...and you've got yourself 4000ft of climbing easy...though not easy climbing! :D Most every pro in the state comes to ride and train here, as had most of the coaches from our most recent Carmichael Spring Camp.

Didn't mean to imply that the 15% lasted 1km solid, but I see how it came across...not even Passo Pordoi, Sassotetto or Passo Sella maintained 15% nonstop...most every climb in the world varies. Regardless--come ride with us Hammer...me thinks you'll become a believer :thumbup: http://halftriing.blogspot.com/2010/10/hills-have-names-clermont-cycling.html

Now back to the important stuff...who's up for riding across the entire state of Florida with no vehicle traffic to worry about...YES!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I live in S. FL and come to clermont to ride dozens of times. Can't for the life of me understand why s many people in FL talk about those little hills in a mythical way. They are bumps on the rd at best. The only reason they horrible hundred is a tough century is because it is nearly flat and fast with relentless speeds imposed by tons of people that ride flat terrain all the time.

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

dgasmd wrote:I live in S. FL and come to clermont to ride dozens of times. Can't for the life of me understand why s many people in FL talk about those little hills in a mythical way. They are bumps on the rd at best. The only reason they horrible hundred is a tough century is because it is nearly flat and fast with relentless speeds imposed by tons of people that ride flat terrain all the time.

Don't know about mythical...but the Clermont area in general is certainly the best riding we've got in Florida, so might as well enjoy it...as so many folks like yourself travel to do from all around the state. No doubt, nothing spectacular about any of it (save for the trees and heat perhaps), but fun nonetheless. If you want mythical climbs (but not quite legendary like Lo Stelvio), head to Italy...and specifically, lesser known climbs like Besenello or Sassotetto. You won't soon forget reaching these summits!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I hear you. Been there and done that too on the Alps and Italy/Dolomites. Central FL is fun to ride regardless. Oh, and the heat can be brutally scorching between May-oct!!!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Having lived in S. Florida, I loved going up to Mt. Dora for the cycling fest. I'd love to ride across the state!

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

FIJIGabe wrote:Having lived in S. Florida, I loved going up to Mt. Dora for the cycling fest. I'd love to ride across the state!

Right on. The Florida Coast-to-Coast Connector will be completed eventually, then the ride will be virtually car free across the entire state. Gov. Rick Scott vetoed a $50 million proposal to compete almost the entire trail last year, but an additional $15.5 million has passed the House of Reps for 2014. Project has become important to the state...nice to see priority being put on eco-tourism.

The significant trail sections that currently exist are beautiful and allow cyclists to ride in peace...you can literally feel the stress release when you transition from the roads to the trail. Instead of wondering who is going to plow over you with their car while texting, or when the next psycho is going to try and run you off the road for having the audacity to use the roadway on a bike...you can just focus on your riding and enjoying the experience once you hit the tranquility of the trails.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

keep posting updates! I'm sure I'll find it when I visit the area!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com