2011 Cannondale

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Carbon_Cowboy

by Carbon_Cowboy

No but 900g road frames and sub 17 lb mountain bikes are. They aren't (just) an aluminum bike maker anymore but if a great alu bike was easy to make everyone would do it.
bradeng wrote:Supersix Evo: 700grams

Whoa! Didn't they hire the German dude who designed the Scott Addict? I think I remember reading this somewhere; if so this is probably the sign of great things to come.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Peter Denk, the same guy who made the addicts, you're correct. He's a carbon ninja and he works for Cannondale and that means pimp stuff. He designed the Flash... so... think about that for a bit.

JV is right, Cannondale has always been engineering, innovation, and technology driven... They were never defined by a "Made in America" moniker. They embrace it but they have never used it as a reason to buy the bikes. Buying a Cannondale solely based on where it's made is like a blind squirrel finding a nut, everyone gets lucky. You're lucky it didn't suck. You're irrational choice was reaffirmed by good performance. Sadly, a lot of people associate that performance with American manufacturing not Cannondale's ability to design and build a bad-ma'm-a-jamma bike, even if it's made on the moon. Adding Denk to the Peck stable means there is likely some really cool sh!t on the way...

Starnut
Last edited by STARNUT on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Industry News: Design Guru Peter Denk Joins Cannondale, GT and Mongoose
By Screamin Mimi - October 21, 2009 - 17:43
http://blogs.bikemag.com/industry-news/industry-news-design-guru-peter-denk-joins-cannondale-gt-and-mongoose

Cycling Sports Group hire Peter Denk
By James Huang, Technical editor - Tue 20 Oct 2009, 6:45 pm UTC
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/cycling-sports-group-hire-peter-denk--23680
Denk is best known for his decade-plus collaboration with Scott (where he and his Germany-based firm steered such key carbon projects as the Spark, Scale, CR1 and Addict, plus their associated CR1 and IMP construction technologies) that ended in late 2007.
For now, Denk and his Denk Engineering GmbH colleague – who is also now a full-time employee of CSG – will both remain in Germany.
"I can't really give you any details at this point but I can tell you that even before this announcement, Peter's been working with us on a number of projects that will come out for model year 2011," he said.

Flash: Cannondale’s 16.6-pound cross-country bike
by Robbie Stout
http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/07/bikes-tech/flash-cannondales-16-6-pound-cross-country-bike_94319
The Flash Carbon was co-developed with former Scott bicycles engineer and carbon technologies guru Peter Denk. After a decade of partnership, Denk and Scott Sports parted ways in October of 2008. Together, Cannondale and Denk have created what they are calling the lightest hardtail, ever.

Scott and Denk Engineering end R&D relationship
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33321

Frans

by Frans

Why do a lot of big guys like Spec, Trek, Giant, Cannondale NOT make carbon CX?

Is it too small a niche to spend the R&D to get it right and not break under Frankie in P-R?

The comfort benefits of carbon over thick Alu that most of us believe in seem a perfect application.

What's really working in the UK are CX bikes with eyelets for fenders etc.

The Genesis Croix deFer sells like hot cakes but more people realize too late that it's a tank.

Would love a 7.5 kg carbon commuter with cantis, Vs or discs, I don't care, and room and eyelets for full fenders. It could double as a tasty winter trainer. I'm lucky that I don't have to lock it up at the work end, I have an internal garage.

With all the bike commuting in London this isn't as niche as it sounds. Boardman realizes this and is selling a GBP999 CX bike (no eyelets IIRC).

greenmachine
Shop Owner

by greenmachine

Most of our customers havent got a clue where Cannondales are made but one thing they do know is how sweet they ride which is why they buy them and the way my supersix performs i couldnt care if my mum made it, its a rocket.
CX is picking up in a big way in the UK at present and Cannondale will get there timing perfectly for 2011 with the carbon model, ill be ordering our first one fo me.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

2011 will see a carbon cross bike from cannondale

Starnut

BB30.COM

coloclimber

by coloclimber

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Carbon CX
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

euan

by euan

2002SaecoReplica wrote:This is not GM or Chrysler we're talking about. Made in the USA Cannondale aluminum has, and continues to be, the benchmark of aluminum bicycles in the industry. Part of the mystique of a Caad9 is that it is hand made by artisans. It's not just cranked out of some factory like some mass produced nike shoes.

And I've got a feeling Made in the Far East Cannondale alu will continue to be the benchmark of alu bikes.

record

by record

I don't agree Starnut.

Cannondale is, in many european cyclists opinions, the brand with the biggest "Made in USA" image out there. They were the only US company that proudly wrote "Handmade in USA" on the seatstays on all their bikes and I believe it was part of the image, a fact that they were made there, from the scratch. Cannondale = made in USA (for many people)
A light bike does replace good fitness.

limba

by limba

STARNUT wrote:2011 will see a carbon cross bike from cannondale

Starnut

Hopefully it doesn't come with an Easton fork.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

record wrote:I don't agree Starnut.

Cannondale is, in many european cyclists opinions, the brand with the biggest "Made in USA" image out there. They were the only US company that proudly wrote "Handmade in USA" on the seatstays on all their bikes and I believe it was part of the image, a fact that they were made there, from the scratch. Cannondale = made in USA (for many people)

Would Euro's have bought them if their performance was subpar. IE is was substantially heavier, softer, uncomfortabler (is that a word :lol:) that it's competition?

Starnut

BB30.COM

cc3chan

by cc3chan

Is the Super Six going to be redesigned for 2011? I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting the Hi Mod frameset and it would kind of suck if it was getting a significant makeover.

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

euan wrote:
2002SaecoReplica wrote:This is not GM or Chrysler we're talking about. Made in the USA Cannondale aluminum has, and continues to be, the benchmark of aluminum bicycles in the industry. Part of the mystique of a Caad9 is that it is hand made by artisans. It's not just cranked out of some factory like some mass produced nike shoes.

And I've got a feeling Made in the Far East Cannondale alu will continue to be the benchmark of alu bikes.

And I've got a feeling you didn't get his initial point.

This is a silly debate. Look people, just accept the fact that SOME (keyword, I didn't say ALL) people admire Cannondale as a company because of their strong American heritage. And yes, despite what you say, seek out the brand and pay a price premium for their products because of where it's built. Well, they did anyway.

I'm not trying to rehash a discussion then went on ad-nosium when Cannondale sold out, just making a minor point. Now move on and discuss the hideously large and many decals Cannondale will place on their 2011 line.

MarvinK

by MarvinK

When I think of Cannondale, I think of warranty claims and shoddy management.... and then maybe engineering ability.

I like Cannondale, but they have as much negative reputation as positive... and being bought by Dorel and promptly moving manufacturing overseas didn't help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

As long as them welds on the CAAD10 are as sweet as the US models it can be made in Timbuktu for all I care.