Gloves!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PDXWheels
Shop Owner

by PDXWheels

Looking for the best riding gloves. Thinking cold weather, but feel free to add whatever. Both thinner 'liner' type gloves and heavy duty, weatherproof ones.

I've tried:
Pearl Izumi Amfib - Okay with wind and warm, but gets absolutely soaked on long wet ones.
Specialized BG (old ones) - looked like a cross between scuba gear and a heavy duty BMX glove, better idea in design than in practice
100% Neoprene gloves - Stay warm, but soak up water and get heavy as hell. Also really start to smell really bad after a couple days use.
Ironclad - designed for construction type use, but pretty good for riding. Like anything not cycling specific, just wasn't all it could be on the bike

What next?

I tried search and didn't see a dedicated thread, so please forgive me if this has already been covered.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

I use Pearl Izumi Cyclones, they have some waterproof bits, fit snugly without affecting finger dexterity and also have windstopper. I use them in winter and they hold up nicely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I got some Swix lobster style (thumb + next 2 fingers together + next 2 fingers together) gloves intended for cross-country skiing, which I can wear with and without a (not supplied) inner liner. Unfortunately, by the time I got them earlier this year, there were no occasions to ride them yet, so I don't know how well they work. I did verify I can shift, brake, move hands around the bars, etc. ... at least when my fingers aren't freezing. Really trying to get something effective for long rides at below -1 C ( I have a large collection of gloves which do o.k. down to about 1 C, but they all get into trouble by about -1 C). My view is that if it's warm enough to be raining (and I don't ride in freezing rain due to safety issues), then I don't really need very warm gloves anyhow. So I'm just trying to deal with cold, wind, and sweat, not precipitation. Then again, I'm not in Portland.

swinter

by swinter

I have an older pair of Louis Garneau Ergo Air wintex gloves. Warm, and wick moisture. Also reasonably priced.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

mofo

by mofo

millet, patagonia, assos, first two are my favs for fall winter riding. rapha i've tried for summer, however they just fall apart after a while, or not long to be honest. just moved to the giro glove for summer and they have held up pretty well.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

True waterproof is almost impossible for something you will enjoy wearing. Try waterproof kayaking gloves but expect a sweatfest if you are going hard. There are high end waterproof ski gloves (Marmot) but their best stuff is way to warm for any cycling IMO. Look at their waterproof line - you may find something that works for you. Absolute top quality. Expect to pay top dollar - I pay close to $200 for their top of the line for skiing.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

i use the PI zephrr shell glove, and i've been happy as can be with it in the terrible seattle winter. $25, super lightweight, windproof and damn close to waterproof too. for our winter, you really need a glove system - those super insulated "waterproof" gloves never really work.
i usually just use the pi liner, or if it's really cold out, i'll wear a pair of snowboard glove liners or a pair of cross-country ski gloves underneath. when going on long, wet rides i'll wear my thin liners and my regular padded gloves on the inside.
only real drawback: no nose wipe pad :?.

WinesofWA

by WinesofWA

Forget about it. You're gonna get wet -- either by rain penetrating your not-quite-waterproof gloves, or by sweating inside your waterproof and non-breathable gloves. Ditto your head, legs and torso.

After 10 years of riding and racing in Seattle, I've learned that on really long winter rides the best thing to do is bring an extra pair of gloves stored in a plastic zip-lock bag and put them on near the end of your ride when you are suffering like a (wet) dog.

4cmd3

by 4cmd3

I'm thinking there's a place for wool... wool glove, wool liner glove, wool something!
even wet, wool is warm...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Craft makes some of the best winter gloves you can imagine.

Why? Because the company's primary focus in products and audience is actually Nordic, not cycling. Although they make damn good cycling apparel.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

shadwell

by shadwell

Assos Spring Summer full finger, great glove. Doesn't get colder than 10C here in Winter, hence the lightweight recommendation.
Re. Wet, Same doesn't mater so long as warm.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

HANDS DOWN for winter, check out the Mountain Hardware and Black Diamond Ice climbing gloves! They are amazing in terms of water resistance, yet still breath and are pretty warm while slim fitting.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

shadwell wrote:Assos Spring Summer full finger, great glove. Doesn't get colder than 10C here in Winter, hence the lightweight recommendation.

10C :laughat: :laughat: At 10C, I'm still wearing my summer gloves. Even at 9C when riding CF levers and bar. And another 1 or 2 C below that if already thoroughly warmed up. But to each his own.

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

HammerTime2 wrote:
shadwell wrote:Assos Spring Summer full finger, great glove. Doesn't get colder than 10C here in Winter, hence the lightweight recommendation.

10C :laughat: :laughat: At 10C, I'm still wearing my summer gloves. Even at 9C when riding CF levers and bar. And another 1 or 2 C below that if already thoroughly warmed up. But to each his own.

****Oh man did I realize people are different with respect to cold tolerance this morning... Our team ride this morning was wet, cold and miserable with temps under 38 degrees F and windy.. Just rain, wind, and cold air. I was wearing neoprene boots, over some long wool socks, with my tights over the boots to keep water from getting in, and I brought my fancy Descente gloves which have long wrist cuffs, are windproof, water resistant, and full fingered with this cover built in to make them into mittens (pretty cool actually!) if you want.. I had a full gore-tex jacket, poly pro tights with knee warmers and a helmet cover. I was ok after warming up but had no need to take anything off as it was just pouring rain and cold..

Anyway, most of us were freezing even with all of this type clothing on. However, one guy who sometimes rides with us was wearing a cheap windbreaker over a regular short sleeve jersey, summer riding shorts, lycra booties, and gardening gloves with flowers on them - just cheap cotton gloves dipped in rubbery goo on one side. He was soaked to the bone and seemingly happy just with what he had on... Just looking at that guy made me cold.

I was really glad to get home and take a hot shower. For all I know the gardening glove guy went ice fishing or something...

brrrr...

Musiker

by Musiker

I use these for the coldest days:
http://www.shop.gripgrab.dk/product.asp?product=260

I find it much easier to keep my fingers warm when they are not in a 5 finger glove..

/Henrik

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com