HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:47 am 

I am 187cm / 78kg and have a difficult time finding high-quality bib shorts that are tight fitting around the legs but also offer long enough shoulder straps that don't cut into my shoulders after two hours on the bike.

So far the best are Assos T.CENTO size XLG but I still wish the lowers were more compressive and the shoulder straps were longer/looser, plus I don't love the new pink floating chamois; the older green one worked better for me.

Rapha Pro Team bibs size L - perfect down low but far too uncomfortable over the shoulders.

Castelli Body Paint 2.0 size XL - very good down low but still too tight over the shoulders. Uncomfortable after 90mins.

Are there any top-end bib shorts with great pads that are known for having longer straps better suited to tall riders? At this stage comfort is far more important that cost so I am open to all options.

I am considering the Giordana FR-C or Sportful Total Comfort. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:34 pm 

I'm the same height as you but 4 kg lighter. The gore bike wear xenon bib in size m works really well for me, maybe you could try gore?

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:34 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:54 pm 

If you purchase directly from Desoto Sports they may customize for you. I know they have adjusted the straps for customers in the past. The 400 mile bib shorts are high quality in materials and workmanship. Pay attention to their sizing or just call them and tell them what you need. They do the sewing in house so they can make changes and repairs. I have had repairs to bibs done free of charge, I just have to pay to ship them back.

https://www.desotosport.com/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:22 pm 

I am 193cm / 84kg and my favorite bibs are my assos T.equipe size M. I have been fitted for hiking backpacks before (which come in different sizes depending on torso length) and I have a regular length torso (not long, weirdly) I'm not sure how loose you like your shoulder straps to be. I guess the size M might be a little tight on the shoulders but they offer great compression on the legs. I typically do around 3-4 rides each week, totaling 10-16 hours on the bike and have not had problems with straps cutting into my shoulders.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:00 am 

Why not just buy the bibs that fit down low and then just have a good tailor make them longer in the straps?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:43 am 

If you liked the S5 series chamois, you can still get them at a pretty good discount at assosoutlet.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:48 am 

m the same height but weigh a bit less. The Rapha classic bib has longer/more comfortable straps (I also wear the pro team one and it is a bit tighter like you mention). Pearl izumi pro large also has comfortable straps, but a bit thinner chamois

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:29 am 

CBJ wrote:
Why not just buy the bibs that fit down low and then just have a good tailor make them longer in the straps?

:exactly: this...

Why compromise? Especially on the pad that feels right to you. Focus on seating comfort, pick the brand/pad that works and then find a competent tailor who can sew in a simple extension using straps from a retired set of bibs and flexible thread. Simples.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 pm 

The pro team bib-straps are a tad bit short for me aswell, although not really uncomfortable.

But La Passione is a brand I recently discovered and their bibs are superb. Alot cheaper aswell, and a bit longer in the legs. Gutted I just missed out on the black bibs during their ongoing sale.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 pm