Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Wed May 04, 2016 5:09 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: From Castello to Rapha?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:18 pm 

I currently looking at some new cycling kit, I have Castelli at present, with the X2 pad in.

I have been looking at Rapha, the Core line seems ok, whats the pad like in them, compared to the Lightweight bib?

Is the cut of Rapha better, long lasting, comfortable etc etc

Any input folks?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:05 am 

the pad in the core is the same as the pro bibs, a bit denser than the lightweight one. not sure if anyone can attest to the durability as it was just released. rapha does have a free repair service though, even for normal wear and tear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:10 pm 

Castelli / Sportful (M. Valcismon) at least provides more bang for the buck. I reckon you can buy two or three bibs from Sportful for 1 from Rapha, yet the durability is probably the same or better from M. Valcismon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:10 pm 

i thought the pad in the core was the same as the classic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 pm 

jeffy wrote:

you're right. i have both the classic and pro bibs and cant tell the difference between the pad though

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:46 am 

djm wrote:
Castelli / Sportful (M. Valcismon) at least provides more bang for the buck. I reckon you can buy two or three bibs from Sportful for 1 from Rapha, yet the durability is probably the same or better from M. Valcismon.

I will completely disagree with this. Castelli is long on style and fit but the durability of Castelli is miserable, particularly concerning their bibs. I have had 5 pairs in the past couple years (team kit and a separate pair of thermal nano flex bibs); all are in tatters despite gentle cycle washing and hang drying. Utter crap. I have one pair of Sportful thermal bibs which seem to be doing a bit better, they were purchased this past fall so not much history with them yet....

I have a small handful of Rapha items and all have been very durable. Expensive yes, but far more durable and more comfortable IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:34 am 

5DII wrote:
jeffy wrote:

you're right. i have both the classic and pro bibs and cant tell the difference between the pad though

Lucky you... Classic , even lightweight pro-team feel different then pro-team to me. I like pro-team unfortunately for the wallet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:05 am 

otoman, I must've been unlucky with my Rapha bibs then. Any of my Castelli or Sportful stuff has yet to wear out due to anything but very heavy use.

A jacket like the Gabba I've exposed to countless hours in rain and dirt, yet my first Gabba is still fully usable.

I think my argument still stands though, if you can get three bibs for one, they only need a third of the lifespan of the expensive one to last the same amount of time.. added benefit is you don't need to wash as often ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:08 pm 

valid point! interesting to hear about the differences in durability. My teammates all had similarly short life spans on Castelli. I'm glad you had good results. And true, I've heard great things about the Gabba.... :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:51 am 

In a conversation with a Rapha rep last summer, the padding apparently is the same across the Pro-team/Lightweight/Classic bib's. The major difference is 1) The spandex material used across the three and 2) the positioning of the pads where the Pro-team positions the pads towards the front to accommodate frequent riding on the drops whilst the LW and classic are meant for increased riding on a more upright fashion, ie he hoods.

I noticed the LW bibs, of thinner construction tends to see saddle rub induced piling much easier than the Pro-team.

In comparing Rapha to Castelli, I also have a pair of Castelli Aero Race bibs and love then to death. Great compression, pads are a bit firmer which is not a bad thing granted Rapha pads feel a bit spongy and soft. Castelli graphics are all part of the weaving while the Rapha graphics are ironed on and can result in the ugly cracking. The great thing about Rapha is their customer service in which I have seen some items used to a point of utter destruction, being exchanged for new ones at no cost to the customer.

You can't go wrong with either.

There is no other way of guarding oneself against flattery than by letting men understand that they will not offend you by speaking the truth; but when everyone can tell you the truth, you lose their respect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:47 am 

I was primarily a Castelli / Sportful guy until about a year or two ago, before starting to "collect" Rapha kit. For summer kit, I probably have 20+ bibs and 20+ tops from Castelli / Sportful (all of the higher end stuff) and about 7 or 8 full kits from Rapha.

I have not had any issues regarding Castelli / Sportful pieces, but do feel as if the Rapha stuff may last longer. Castelli is purely made for the race, and I feel like there are little concessions for anything other than to make you faster, at least in the high end stuff. Even the Rapha Pro Team stuff, which is race oriented, I feel like make some concessions for style and comfort. That said though, for me personally, the Castelli Progetto X2 pad is more comfortable than any of the Cytech pads that Rapha uses. But because I care about "style" I have begun to lean toward Rapha gear for summer kit.

Winter kit though is a different story. I feel as if Castelli and Sportful are way ahead than Rapha in innovating bad weather gear. . .the Gabbas, Sportful's Fiandre line, Castelli's Alpha jacket and whole Tempesta line. . .love them to death. I feel like that foul weather stuff just plain works better than anything from Rapha (granted I have not tried the new Shadow stuff yet). But for dry conditions, I love the Rapha Pro Team kit as well just because IMO it just looks so good.

Mind you I've gone high end stuff from Assos (style just didn't work for me, and neither did the chamois), Giordana, ALE, Santini, some Craft (still can't beat their base layers), Louis Garneau, Capo, Panache, etc. Have not had the pleasure of trying on the more boutique designer brands yet (ie MAAP), but am looking forward to doing so. And q36.5 seems like the real deal as well.

That being said, I like Castelli/Sportful gear the best for foul weather conditions. And Sportful prices from Europe a this point are ridiculously cheap if ordering from the US. Ale's gear can be found for good prices too, and even though not as technical in foul weather protection, it is nonetheless very comfortable and keeps weather out well (ie Klimatik line). I really like Ale's PRR line too, which is super comfortable. For summer kit, Castelli is still the go-to gear if you plain just want to go fast. Not quite as comfortable or stylish for me as Rapha, which is why I have Rapha kit now too. Plus kit from Panache just because I like their funky houndstooth stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:13 pm 

Don't know about Rapha but the quality and durability of Castelli bibs are not the best for sure. Neither Sportful's.
I would also recommend Giordana, Ale or Santini. Much better quality and materials at normal prices.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:52 pm 

Thank you for your input.

I have order some Rapha LW bib shorts, so I shall see how they feel when the arrive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:56 pm 

jimaizumi wrote:
In a conversation with a Rapha rep last summer, the padding apparently is the same across the Pro-team/Lightweight/Classic bib's. The major difference is 1) The spandex material used across the three and 2) the positioning of the pads where the Pro-team positions the pads towards the front to accommodate frequent riding on the drops whilst the LW and classic are meant for increased riding on a more upright fashion, ie he hoods.

This is interesting. I ride on the hoods most, and the drops. Which makes me think, maybe I should of gone for Pro Team? there £40/$55 more.

Thanks
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:35 pm 

I am in the pro Castello bibs camp... My body paint bibs are many times better than the assos s5 bibs.

C