When did you last crash?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

Prompted by what seemed to me to be a startling remark in another topic, and of course it is a sensitive subject that we probably skirt around with our loved ones, but I am curious: when did you last crash and what happened?

I'm thinking specifically of road cycling, and of purely cycling crashes that were not related to appalling driving, although not ruling those out either. And if you can bear to talk about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

Last crash where I hit the ground was July 2021. Was looking back over my shoulder where the rest of the group is, front wheel got caught in a pothole/crack on the bike path, and I highsided. Didn't think it was that bad at first, cycled another 20something kilometres, then found out later that I had broken my femur (fully, not only a hairline or compression fracture).

Two surgeries, 200 or so Physio sessions, but I am still cycling. The bike was unharmed ;)

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Road must be 3 years ago, descending hairpin off Orient which was, and still is, one of the very few poor tarmac roads here in Mallorca. As a ride group we descend slowly, even the ex pro who says regularly "you want me to descend fast you pay me!"
Gravel, I fell like every other week. Fell two weeks ago and dislocated a finger, popped it back in and off we jolly well went.

Miller

by Miller

Thanks for the responses, interesting. I see it's a subject people are reticent about, understandable I suppose.

It's been a while since I've had a road off but, as noted, gravel is a whole different game. Last summer on a little-used green lane a rut tossed me into a hedgerow full of nettles and brambles. My backside was stinging from that for days.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Konsi wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:57 pm
Last crash where I hit the ground was July 2021. Was looking back over my shoulder where the rest of the group is, front wheel got caught in a pothole/crack on the bike path.... The bike was unharmed ;)
That's funny....the last road crash I had was July 2021...when I hit a pothole. I was going downhill at appx 30mph.

I was pretty much destroyed,...adrenaline is a hell of a thing. I don't remember most of it, but was told by the passing motorist saw my bike laying off the side of the road and stopped. By the time he stopped his car, called 911, and was walking toward the bike, I had got to the bike and was preparing to leave. Apparently, I kept saying "I'm fine....I only live a few miles...I'm just gonna ride home." He said when he saw I was covered in blood and my helmet was crushed he held my bars and asked whatever he could think of to keep me from leaving.

The ambulance arrived a whisked me away. I "woke up" in the ER as my clothes were being cut off. The damages, from top to bottom: concussion and brain bleed (48hrs in a darkroom is THE WORST), 7 broken ribs, collapsed lung, 8 stitches in knee, and "road rash over entire right side of body." Bike was unharmed...just replaced the bar tape.

Took a long while to recover, but back to riding normally...but with a lot mor gravel and a lot less road.