HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:22 pm 

So, the Swedish summer seems like the rainiest one yet... Winters are no better lately.

I don't mind riding in the rain, and ofcourse have a dedicated 'nine bike' with fancy carbon hoops and the whole nine yards... But, BUT, it's becoming such a drag to pull on waterproof pants over the lycra bibs... I wanna omit that whole part of the daily routine...

Hence, I feel the need for some completely waterproof (3hrs+) full long, padded bibs. I'm done pulling two pair of things over my legs and I'm done with floppy pants waving every which way in the wind just cause it rains... High quality, Assos and the likes, is preferable as I'm forced to ride every weekday of the year.

Searched the interweb, came up with nothing... Is there actually no such product on the market?

Please point me in the right direction?

P.S, absolutely needs to be 100% waterproof, not just repellent or some other half measure...

The Shivenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:20 am 

I've not come across anything like that.

I have a pair of Endura Stealth Lite tights that are waterproof softshell, but they have no pad, and the thighs saturate in a downpour. I used to have some orfthe original Stealth tights that were heavier-weight and more waterproof, but quite restrictive.

Castelli used to make some bibs with a set or more waterproof panels on the hips and thighs, but I bought a pair an returned them as they were a horrid fit.

Given the nature of articulation required for bibtights, I just don't think it's possible to make a 100% waterproof garment that will fit like a pair of normal tights, and not create a boil-in-the-bag experience.

For me, unless you go with some hardshell over-trousers, you can't stay totally dry. The key to staying comfortable is to keep at a comfortable temperature, and not get your chamois saturated.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:20 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:47 am 

Sportful make some No-Rain bib tights, but I can't speak for how waterproof they actually are.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:55 am 

They're not waterproof at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:52 am 

Really? Do you have firsthand experience with them? I was thinking about getting a set, as I just decided to skip a sportive on Sunday because it's going to be raining.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:08 pm 

I have some they are much better than a non waterproof bib when it rains but not fully waterproof. They are also a winter bib, i.e. warm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:53 pm 

Marin wrote:
Really? Do you have firsthand experience with them? I was thinking about getting a set, as I just decided to skip a sportive on Sunday because it's going to be raining.

No - I have the No-Rain shorts and leg-warmers. And also some Castelli Nanoflex bibs. They bead off a little water in a light drizzle. After that, the water starts to soak in to the fabric and the hydrophobic coating is no longer effective. Water resistant - yes. Waterproof - no.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:51 pm 

Oh bummer... I've been riding hardshell over trousers (Specialized branded...) and they do the job, but was really hoping this wasn't the only available route. Thanks guys, I much appreciate the feedback on this thread. Will keep my eyes open but cancel the active search from here on out... Hopefully some manufacturer cracks this nut one day :)

The Shivenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:01 pm 

If you don't like the full length over-trousers, then you could try some 3/4 waterproof over-shorts and pair them with some Assos after-snow booties.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:19 pm 

What would the benefit be over full length trousers or non-padded waterproof full length tights (like the Endura Stealth's) over short bibs and normal rain boots/covers for the feet? I try to imagine it, but it seems like the same amount of hassle (same number of garments) with no benefits (i.e still flappy fabric)?

The Shivenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:50 pm 

Just different. Just an idea. You'd have hardshell over your hips/thighs for complete waterproofing, but they're open below the knee so a little more air can circulate up the leg than with trousers down to ankles. Those Assos booties should keep everything below the calf dry.

Personally, if it's cold enough for tights and wet I'll wear some Castelli Sorpasso tights which stay pretty warm when wet. If it's very cold or torrential, I'll stick some 3/4 shorts over the top. The last few wet rides this spring I've just worn the Nanoflex bibs. You get wet, but they're roubaix fabric so you don't chill, and they have a decent long leg.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:37 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

I've been using Gore (the brand) Gore Tex shorts over lycra bibs and combined with nanoflex leg warmers in rainy cold spring and fall weather. (My mother was kind enough to mod them with quite fancy custom suspenders so they stay in place in the back). Works a treat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:37 pm 

?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:10 pm 

Seems like an odd requirement....bu how about a heavy coat of spray waterproofing fabric treatment over your favorite bib tights ?

OR....once I showed up at a race where it started to rain before the start. A friend of mine from Belgium just immediately started greasing himself all over with vaseline. So I figured, "Hey, he's from Belgium, he must know the secrets of to deal with all sort of harsh conditions on a bike". :lol:
So I did it too and it worked great. My clothes got soaked by I felt nice an warm and the water just rolled off my arms and legs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:25 pm 

Hehe, well coming to work soaked in grease seems like a rather unpleasant alternative. Actually I personally don't mind being wet when riding. It's really the aftermath of rainy rides that is my main concern... Clothes all soaked thru and wet. If you have to put them back on before they're dry again, well that's just pure horror. And I find that soaked non-waterproof clothes leave much, much bigger puddles of water where they're left drying than waterproof over trousers/jackets/shoe covers...

And also, the dilemma of doing extra things to keep dry, whatever they might be, like pulling on extra layers, is just a pain. One thing if it was occasionally, but it's not occasionally enough not to become a drag in my everyday life.

It may seem odd to find that extra work of a few extra garments like such a drag. But I never stay indoors and don't go riding because it rains. And as such, I want the rain rides to be just as pleasant and "easy" and uninterfered as the dry ones... Or as close as possible to it.

The Shivenge

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:25 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next