Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:54 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 pm 

Many people, especially those who train on their one, like myself, turn to music to keep them company for the long hours on the saddle. So if you are one of thsoe,what music do you prefer? I personally like to listen to extreme metal (extreme riding-extreme music :P )

P.s Also many say, my coach included, that music should be avoided while riding because it distracts you and that it could lead to an accident... After thousand of hours on the saddle with music on, I tend to dissagree :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:09 pm 
Administrator

I'm from the no music camp. The quiet sound of the drive train, the tires rolling and the wind in my ears is music enough. I do listen to music when indoors on the rollers. At least for me indoor training is pretty boring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:30 pm 

Electronic on the trainer, but it's hard to keep the sweat out of the buds. Stick them in the fan afterwards to air dry..

Nothing on the road. My helmet (Air Attack) actually reduces most wind noise and it's nice to hear the surroundings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:46 pm 

I do the silence thing.

the sound of my thin race tires on the asphalt is great.... even on dirt I embrace it.

Im the type to slow down and look at wild life though, while taking the moment as a break to sip on some water and look at the sky....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:24 pm 

seaneT1, it doesn't have to be your trainer who says that, it's just pure logic (no offense). If you don't hear what's going on around you (even unexpected movement of some animal near the road, or sound of bicycle with kid behind a parked car which you are passing by), something bad may happen more likely.

And if you say you listen to extreme metal, I imagine you have the volume set quite high.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 pm 

martinko wrote:
seaneT1, it doesn't have to be your trainer who says that, it's just pure logic (no offense). If you don't hear what's going on around you (even unexpected movement of some animal near the road, or sound of bicycle with kid behind a parked car which you are passing by), something bad may happen more likely.

And if you say you listen to extreme metal, I imagine you have the volume set quite high.

Well that seems to be the case for most of the people but I personally keep the volume low and I never seem to lose touch with what is going on around...it might be just me though :) the only exception I make is when climbing on remote long climbs with little to no traffic where I usually turn the volume quite high and run like hell!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:23 am 

Cars scare me so much I keep my ears clear to hear what might be outside my field of vision. That aside, music and cycling interest me. A lot of music is directly or indirectly inspired by different kinds of human and animal motion, mostly different from cycling. For example, cycling motion is different from human walking motion. For a start, it doesn't divide into discrete steps. A 360 degree crank revolution starting with one crank in an arbitrary position isn't like a step. Also off the bat--ascending, descending, cruising, sprinting seem like they should have different sound tracks.

adapted from Rabelais

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:13 am 

Listening to music while riding in Shanghai would result in death or at least visiting hospital... so no music for me. At home I listen to lots of different kinds of music. Depends on my mood from calm electronic, through some old school hits (James Brown for example) to rock. No ear/headphones though. If I ride at home then whole building is listening to my music :twisted: :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:55 am 

I mostly ride by myself and I enjoy listening to music on rides. I put one ear bud in and leave the other tucked into my jersey. Just put it on shuffle and listen to what ever pops up. When I was able to do a lot of running I'd listen to books on tape. I'm thinking of trying a few podcasts on the next climb.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:08 am 

I enjoy peacefully riding by myself listening to podcasts in one ear. Not sure I'd go music though, I'd find it more distracting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:45 pm 

Ride to get away from it all.

Ride to train.

Listen to music at home.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:50 am 

I listen to music whilst riding all the time, I generally ride alone anyway so it keeps me company and help me keep a clear head. I hate listening to the silence. I don't have it loud, at least I don't think I do, I can still hear cars and trucks etc. On the indoor trainer I don't listen to music, I'm watching music videos (live concerts) or bike races.

When riding though I listen to metal with a little bit more metal just for good measure, stuff like Mastdon, Dillinger Escape Plan, Metallica, Faith No More, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Lich King, Exodus, Fog Of War, Beastwars, Megadeth, Baroness, Austrian Death Machine, thrash metal, speed metal, shit like that. I used to listen to dance music with a BPM of around 140 - 155 but found it a bit fast for hill climbing. Shuffle is great though.

I wouldn't wear headphones off road though

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:35 am 

I like live concert recordings. They seem to go well with outdoor riding, at least for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:56 am 

I'm usually listening to my own Spotify playlist with various artists and genres. Mostly when I'm doing some longer solo rides, always just using the right earpiece and the other one tucked into my jersey and the volume high enough so I can hear it but without it dominating.

The only time I'm using both earphones is when I'm on a long stretch of cycle path or in the woods.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm 

Mostly Post Rock - no vocals, great for riding! pg-lost, This Will Destroy You, Toundra, What The Blood Revealed. Highly recommended for anyone who loves rock!

I listen to music on about 1 in 3 rides.