The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickcube

by nickcube

Finally found a skinsuit that actually appeals to me and isn't too out there!
Kern's a pretty small company and this is their first design that they've released . Id say they've done a pretty good job with it and feels awesome while out on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alpinetrailer

by Alpinetrailer

This saddle bag / wallet on Kickstarter looked pretty cool.
I just backed it. Hopefully it funds.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... vital-case

Lakey

by Lakey

Just got a Colnago C40 B-Stay HP in near mint condition!
Can't wait for it to arrive

Zitter

by Zitter

3T ARX LTD like-new for only $85. Complete steal.
Last edited by Zitter on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgt

by kgt

Lakey wrote:Just got a Colnago C40 B-Stay HP in near mint condition!
Can't wait for it to arrive

:thumbup:

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Front and back derailleur dura ace 9000 for my shiv

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

prebsy

by prebsy

2016 Scott Foil 10 Frameset

Norregard

by Norregard

nd2rc wrote:Norregard, can you give a bit of a review once you've used the Ballista a few times? I'm interested in getting one.

Sure. I've waited to put some thoughts up until now because I wanted to ride with it a couple of times first.

First, since this is weight weenies, I got my kitchen scale out:

Advertised weight for a medium size helmet in black is 262g, so this is pretty much dead on.

Comfort. In short, it's a much more comfortable helmet than my MET. The padding is soft, and the click wheel is sturdy. The Ballista has three different height positions for the harness. On my first ride I had the height position on the middle of the three options (see picture below), which came quite low over the ears, meaning that the helmet slightly put pressure on the arms of my sunglasses. Didn't really notice this at first but after a couple of hours in the saddle, this became quite annoying. Since then, I put the height position on the highest, which solved the problem.
The helmet comes out of the box with a little silicone 'no sweat' pad to keep the sweat away from your eyes, but since this is Belgian spring, I haven't had much use for that yet!

Image Image Image

Venting. The Ballista has 3 large vents in the front, and 6 vents in the back. But again, it's been a Belgian spring so it's been quite chilly and windy which means I've been wearing a buff. My head's been nice and warm, but I can't really say much about the venting.

Image Image

Aero. Honestly could not tell you if this is more aero than my last helmet. I'd hope so, but I really cannot tell the difference.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Also living in Belgum, I thought I should also invest in an aero road lid... Help with the flats, cold and and what not... Nearly ended up going for the Ballista, but got a great price on a protone!

How do you find the Ballista on climbs? I'm still curious about this helmet...

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

Norregard

by Norregard

It's good on climbs. It's light, comfortable and it's stable, which is a big plus when climbing out of the saddle.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

this wasn't today but wanted to share classic bend specialized carbon joint. pretty sick and close bar to my easton TKO and equipe pro. Better than all those imposter classic bends, ritchey classic, deda newton shallow, ritchey neo, zipp round, pro round, etc..... when the aerofly's jig is up, im putting these on.

Last edited by nathanong87 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KWalker

by KWalker

closer to a true classic than the Easton, you know im jealous
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I wish they would flare the aerofly...
Using Tapatalk

Fiery

by Fiery

KWalker wrote:closer to a true classic than the Easton, you know im jealous

What is a "true classic"? Also, how is a bar with a variable radius bend such as the Specialized closer to this "true classic" than a bar with a constant radius bend such as the Easton?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Thanks for the feedback norregard! I live in Iowa so it's quite chilly in the spring and fall here as well. Plus where I'm at it's flat, so if the aero benefit is real I'll take it.

Yeah, please do elaborate on the "true" classic bend. I'm looking for some aero drop bars with a more round classic bend and had my eyes on the Ritchey WCS Wind Steem II