LED vs HID headlights

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I just compared two Light & Motion headlights, the 675 lumen ARC li-ion and the 400 lumen SECA 400.
I was quite shocked to find the SECA 400's light was superior to the ARC. The white beam(s) (spot and fill) provided a much clearer view of what was ahead (over virtually the same distance) as compared to the blue/white HID light, which didn't provide as wide nor as clear a view.

Anyone else have experience with this? Looking for feedback-- I had both lights on my handlebars and took turns riding the same road with each one (a 2 mile loop).
Speedplay is the devil!

fl8216

by fl8216

Thanks for the useful information. I have used the (675 lumen ARC li-ion) for 2 years, and when the light unit burns out I will replace it with a LED SECA model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I just got a physics lesson on the light spectrum and the short version is the light the led gives off is better suited to human vision. Works for me.
Speedplay is the devil!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Aside from light quality, also factor in that LED lights are far more robust than HID bulbs and can handle far more on/off cycles. That's why you don't see to many flashing HID lights.

tantra

by tantra

A halogen light is even better than an LED in terms of light quality. The use more juice tho.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, but unlike an Halogen bulb, the LED bulb will actually outlast everything else... the plastic, metal, rubber, and whatever else used to case the bulb will not last nearly as long as an LED bulb itself. LED bulbs will outlast your own life span. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

prendrefeu wrote:Yes, but unlike an Halogen bulb, the LED bulb will actually outlast everything else... the plastic, metal, rubber, and whatever else used to case the bulb will not last nearly as long as an LED bulb itself. LED bulbs will outlast your own life span. :thumbup:

I think my first headlight used halogen bulbs-- a niterider. But ditto the quote above, and you get longer runtimes, more light output and less chance of blown bulbs. :beerchug:
Speedplay is the devil!

nycmtber

by nycmtber

I used to run the L&M arc but have gone to all LED lights for the past two years. I use Dinotte's 200l or 400l depending on what I need.

I find the light to be somewhat better, but I was quite happy with the HID as well. The Arc put out so much light it was overkill for most types of riding besides technical mountain biking.

The batteries are far superior with the LED lights, and are the only reason I switched. two tiny batteries gets me through the longest night of the year on full power with the 200L and three with the 400L. The two batteries are lighter weight than the one HID battery I had.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com