Paris Roubaix history question

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wester-Ross

by Wester-Ross

I though some of the great minds on this forum would know the answer to this question.

I was watching the 92 P-R the other day and was interested to see that Adri Van De Poel was surging forward on the cobbles in order to exit each section first.
According to the commentators there was a 'king of the cobbles' competition for the person who 'won' the most cobble sections. The competition must have been important because the winner also got one of the famous cobblestones as a trophy.

I cannot recall hearing any mention of this competition in recent years.

Does anyone know more about this ? Is it still a prize ? or when did they end it ?

rustychain

by rustychain

Its my understanding that this is the prize for the winner (king of the cobbles?) and the race to get there first is for the obvious advantage it gives in being able to select your line. I don't recall a prize for getting to the cobbles first but I still can't remember much of the 60's and 70's :oops:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_roubaix

I don't see it mentioned there. Perhaps he was just accelerating through in order to avoid crashing with everyone else?

Or he was just doing sprint-intervals while everyone else was racing. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

monty dog

by monty dog

Being at the front of the Peleton through each of the sectors is a big advantage - you get a clear view of the road and get to choose your line. Many of the riders know the sectors intimately and know when to jump from the crown to the gutter - it can also vary whether the race is wet or dry - if you get caught on the wrong long or get held up by a slower rider, it takes a lot of effort to get back up to speed. To race P-Rx is to take part in the longest, toughest maximal-interval session going.
Just ride

Danton

by Danton

Wester-Ross wrote:According to the commentators there was a 'king of the cobbles' competition for the person who 'won' the most cobble sections.
I've never heard of this. I met Adri Van der Poel last month by chance, if I see him again I'll ask him :wink: