Looking a light weight rain jacket

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

HakeemT wrote:Had to use my Rapha Race Cape (horrible name I know) for the first time today. Was quite impressed; good fit, nice long arms, stayed dry and warm throughout the ride (5 hours, of which at least 2 in medium to heavy rain). I do find it difficult to justify the retail price though...

...especially when ur a dumbarse like me and crash while wearing it. Of course we now have the coldest and wettest early summer in ages round these parts.

Hate to say it, but even tho I loved mine, got it at half price and can't justify a full price for a replacement :-(

gummee

by gummee

konky wrote:As long as it's not too cold a gilet in my view is better than a full rain jacket. It gives enough protection and crucially you don't get the 'boil in the bag' problem. For summer use - go gilet.

The Rapha one is the best summer gilet by some margin. A very superior piece of kit.

I have a Gore Xenon half sleeve jacket that rocks. You wouldn't think a waterproof jacket with short (elbow length) sleeves would be so great, but as long as its over 50, its a great thing.

Rolls up small enough to fit in a jersey pocket.

For colder days, the Gore Phantom jacket is pretty darn water resistant too. Its not water proof 'cause they didn't seal the seams, but I went on a 2hr rain ride in my Phantom and came back dry.

M

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I like the look of that half-sleeve Gore piece.

In the end, my lbs was nice enough to give a bit of a deal for me on a clima-shutz from Assos. I has a climajet for a few years but had gripes with the floppy fit, breathability and all around fit. The new version is measurably better in every respect, especially love the wrist and back of neck panel (almost elimates flapping) and added ventilation plus pocket access.

Like Assos neoprene gloves, it's not a wind/cold/wet piece, these are pieces for riding in consistent rain.

Fwiw- rode in probably the biggest downpour I've ever had to, in 7 degrees and riding essentially a 2-up TT for 175km with a masters champ...it was a tough old day in the saddle!

swinter

by swinter

I ended up with a Gore Oxygen. Pricey, but when we got caught in a heavy downpour last year in the Netherlands with 25-30 miles to ride back it was worth every penny. I was dry . . . and not sweaty! The thing really does breath well.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

ultyguy wrote:Hate to say it, but even tho I loved mine, got it at half price and can't justify a full price for a replacement :-(

Have you tried to get it repaired by Rapha? They'll do it for free if it's fixable

HillRPete

by HillRPete

cydonian74 wrote:Sportful Survival, you'll go a long way to beat this one! ONLY gripe is no pockets, but other than that its mega! :thumbup:

I've been thinking the same for a long time, but when actually riding in the rain, I prefer to put my stuff into the jersey pockets below, for protection. Also for unstable conditions / long rides, when you put the jersey on and off, having stuff in the pockets would just be an extra hassle. No pockets for me.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

joshvoulters wrote:Have you tried to get it repaired by Rapha? They'll do it for free if it's fixable

Not fixable, arm shredded and a hole on hip too....however, with the creative use of some scissors I now have a limited edition Rapha shorty cape :-D

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I also managed to score an older, but great shape, Caisse d'eparnge pro issue race cape with full velcro closure on the front like the ones Curve used to sell from time to time...40 Eur!