Cut those house keys if you're a TRUE Weight Weenie!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rasmus
Administrator

by Rasmus

I actually pack my old phone from Denmark as it's hacked, bashed, abused - and light. I also only carry the front door key. In fact, I try to carry as little as possible.

OT: Btw. nice replica. Thought about building an FF roadster myself - we have a few around my neck of the woods - but ultimately I needed a daily driver with a bike rack more.
- Papa R. Fresh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GrahamB

by GrahamB

If I ride from my house I have only an aluminium front door key. If I ride from the car (usually on the mtb), then I just have the remote door lock widget.

The weight difference is more than you get using carbon jockey wheels...
Graham

holycao86

by holycao86

I can't remember where i read this... but Jack I remember you mentioning putting your keys in a saddle bag? Why don't you just eliminate the saddle bag altogether? I just cram everything into my jersey pockets and it fits nicely.

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

holycao86 I dont like the feel of stuff in my jersey besides my cell phone and thin wallet... (in case I crash off a cliff and can't reach my bike, or at a bike shop and gotta pick up the phone, pay for something...)

Stuff in a jersey pocket is also very un-aero and potentially dangerous in a crash..... I already broke my back once before... (not a cycling crash)don't need to tumble and have a brass presta stem stick into my spinal cord, or a carbon fiber pump smash against a vertebrae

I remember when people used to make fun of me for even having a cell phone with me on training rides... until Dory Selinger lost his leg and his best friend died when that lady mowed over his whole team with a car back in 1993...

Interesting post crash history for Dory though.... http://www.doryselinger.com/index.html Tons of World Records, Olympic, National titles after he lost his leg... his prostetic is now a very aero carbon fiber EXPENISVE piece from his knee down... awesome to see him park in the Handicapped parking space at Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose and spank most of the cat 2's!

He has a 5:00.2 4K a 1:10.6 Kilo time and polishes off the 200 meters in 12.05! Imagine riding that fast on the track with a effective cleat mount of right under your ankle bone! Next time you see an amputee who is sitting in a chair getting fat, tell them about Dory!
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NadYdEW3Y
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Wow! I'm pretty sure this is the same guy that used to come out and train on the Saturday Spectrum Ride (my old team) out of Los Altos! This was about 3 to 5 years ago though.

I remember thinking while on his wheel how well he is hammering. This can be an extremely aggressive ride.

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

Bridgeman, I used to do that ride from time to time up until 2000.. also did the Noon Ride... and owned a Cat 1,2 Pro team called Veloce Velo from 1997 til 2000.

Those were back in my 90 to 120 mile a day days.... those rides usually made up the middle of my ride.... there were some strong riders back up in San Francisco back then....
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

JackLawrenceXXX wrote:Bridgeman, I used to do that ride from time to time up until 2000.. also did the Noon Ride... and owned a Cat 1,2 Pro team called Veloce Velo from 1997 til 2000.

Those were back in my 90 to 120 mile a day days.... those rides usually made up the middle of my ride.... there were some strong riders back up in San Francisco back then....

No doubt we've met. I've been doing the Noon Ride since late "82" and been with 5 or so teams around here. Way back before riding, I remember running up to the Stanford dish and seeing these Pedali Alpini guys at the start and thinking well alrighty then, that's for me.

When we started the Spectrum rides they were on both Sat and Sun. Also, many years ago there was the Italian ride on Sun that started at 8am at 92 and Canada. I love those guys and really miss them. Now it is the Pen Velo Ride.

I'll be on the Noon ride tomorrow. I should also mention that there are some really great riders here, which is a thread I was thinking about starting. Something like; "who's on yer ride these days"? I bet a lot of people have some great stories.

AXERA DO7

by AXERA DO7

I for one love your posts Jack, different ideas and projects about reducing weight when you ride is what WW is all about I thought so well done keep up the good work. :D

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

Small World... I used to race for Pen Velo... did the Italian Ride with them every Tuesday and Thursday evening, and usually rode that route every day....

When I ran my team (Veloce Velo) , I had riders like Dave McCook, Dave Botchek riding for me... those were some fun times....
-Jack Lawrence
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

sawyer

by sawyer

i leave the keys with my bemused neighbour

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

sawyer wrote:i leave the keys with my bemused neighbour

I take my single car key, and leave my campus/office/work/home/other/other car keys in my car which I kept the key to. 2-3g instead of a triple digit number... :D Mind over Matter!

Giant DK

by Giant DK

hockinsk wrote:Personally, I'm thinking of fitting a fingerprint yale lock.

Then you need to drill your fingers :shock: :wink:
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II