Do you guys ride naked?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Capisce

by Capisce

This forum is for weightweenies which to me is a place to discuss light components. I get that the actual bike is the most interesting topic and I enjoy it very much, but for once I would like to see a thread or competition about light packages or just light clothing.
As far as I know there are no UCI weight limits on clothing and because of it this could be an area where a rider can gain an not insignificant advantage?

The only "clothing" area where I have seen a company advartise low weight is in helmets, but surely there are large differences in shoes, jerseys, bibs?

So how about it, who can put together the lightest clothing assembly? (Shoes, bibs, socks, jersey, gloves, shades and helmet).
Something or other

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Taz

by Taz

I used to but for some reason this attracted too many dogs :noidea:

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Not so sure lycra could be made to be much lighter without being transparent in the critical areas of the body! I guess shoes are one area, but carbon soles have helped shave sme weight already.

kgt

by kgt

Searching for a new lighweight bike component is much more fun than searching for a new lighweight bib short :D

Tubes6al4v

by Tubes6al4v

I believe some of the new Castelli stuff uses hollow fibers. Their reps have been talking about light weight a lot. Supposedly they want to compete with Assos, by offering similar quality for less money. We'll see where that one goes though. I am really enjoying seeing where that company is going with their tech. Still hate the logo though. But if it falls off, they'll give you a replacement jersey (shorts, warmers, etc).

djconnel

by djconnel

Shoes also market on weight. My Bonts are particularly light with my Speedplay cleats, as I got them drilled with 4 holes, allowing me to skip the Speedplay adaptor plate.

For hillclimbs, I never wear gloves (unless I forget to remove them after warmup) and usually skip the glasses. Socks also can be left behind. If it doesn't make me faster, it's making me slower. And obviously if I want a jacket for the post-race descent, i send it up in an official car, rather than carry it.

But with clothing, usually I'm constrained by my club kit. I think that's the case with a lot of people, which is why the subject doesn't get much attention.

imageking

by imageking

..........of course clothing gets fractionally lighter after each wear & wash....and if you buy assos your wallet will be a lot lighter

Haircut always good for shedding a few grams
Oltre XR4 SR11
2xParlee Z1 Gloss SR11
Enigma Etape Ti SR11 +rack
Colnago K.Zero - LW12spoke/LW Disc
Pinarello Opera 90's steel Rec10

holycao86

by holycao86

djconnel wrote:Shoes also market on weight. My Bonts are particularly light with my Speedplay cleats, as I got them drilled with 4 holes, allowing me to skip the Speedplay adaptor plate.

For hillclimbs, I never wear gloves (unless I forget to remove them after warmup) and usually skip the glasses. Socks also can be left behind. If it doesn't make me faster, it's making me slower. And obviously if I want a jacket for the post-race descent, i send it up in an official car, rather than carry it.

But with clothing, usually I'm constrained by my club kit. I think that's the case with a lot of people, which is why the subject doesn't get much attention.

do you mean that your soles are custom drilled for speedplays, or that you simply drilled four holes into the sole? I would love to have this simply because the cleat stack height is so tall on speedplays. I feel like i have to sit higher to make up for it and it is unnecessary.

djconnel

by djconnel

holycao86 wrote:do you mean that your soles are custom drilled for speedplays.

Yes. Although drilling Bont soles is relatively straightforward.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Bont can make custom shoes based on 3D modelling of your feet etc.
Order a pair and tell them how you want the holes and that's that.

They're not cheap though but are one of the best finished shoes (for custom that is) in the business I've seen.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

djconnel

by djconnel

I got the heat-moldable shoes. I found the heat molding worked really well. I needed to more aggressively form the shoe with fingers than the instructions imply. But once I got it, the fit was amazing. Only downer is I got size "Wide", and I probably could have managed with normal width (my feet are borderline wide). The straps are a bit long: I want to take them to a shoe repair place and get them shortened. Excess straps are probably bad for wind resistance.

the genie

by the genie

riding naked is so harsh, I believe that a proper thong is the absolutely minimum in bike apparel decorum.

chrism

by chrism

imageking wrote:Haircut always good for shedding a few grams

Remember you don't need four fingers for cycling either, and your appendix is also extraneous.
No scales on the trails

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

the genie wrote:riding naked is so harsh, I believe that a proper thong is the absolutely minimum in bike apparel decorum.

that's actually a major benefit and thus a significant advantage of leisure cycling. we don't get that much of this kind of stuff on the road, do we?

it makes me think though, if i could find a female cycling friend, and 'abracadabra-weightweenie' her mind, maybe we'd achieve this at some point?
Last edited by tymon_tm on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

tymon_tm wrote:that's actually a major benefit and thus a significant advantage of leisure cycling. we don't get that much of this kind of stuff on the road, do we?

No, but we do get Liz Hatch... :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com