Tour of California thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Total BS
It is a freakin OUTRAGE!

:cry: Let Levi ride :cry:

edit
sorry i lost my temper momentarily

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

lance is hit by a photographer! crashed out!! tbc!!!!
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sakic

by sakic

I wont quote it from the page before

but whats up with rock racing, in the photo from the page before all 3 riders have different helmets and one guy has a red and white rain jacket?

do they just use what they want? or can get their hands on?

holycao86

by holycao86

Did you read the Velonews article about their backup bikes? Instead of just using name labels, they individually graffiti-ed their own bikes with spray paint. There are a bunch of pictures, here is one:

But also, in case you are confused, that article also explains why they are riding different bikes.

http://www.velonews.com/article/87905

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

I was one of the folks who braved the cold, wind, and rain out on the Golden Gate Bridge just to see the race. Well, at the same time, also, to snap off some shots. It actually was great fun getting all wet. LOL. Not!

I don't care if you're a Lance fan or not (I'm neutral) but hey, hats off to him for coming back from a crash in the stage and finishing in some really nasty conditions (ok relatively nasty).

I think I got a piece of Landis too in a shot but not really sure.

Anyway, I think it was a good time spent watching some of the best talent ride today. I enjoyed it and that's all that matters.

ash

by ash

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Nice pics XL_Carbon.

EDIT: @ ash, I'm going to snipe this auction in the last 20 seconds. Unless it goes over 150,000,000USD.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

theredmiata

by theredmiata

Probably the funniest thing I've read in a while coming from Lance's twitter page:

Getting massage and Horner comes in. He's just back from the race. Johan and I were like, "where have u been?". His reply
about 22 hours ago from TwitterBerry

Reply - "I was at In and Out Burger". What?? He ordered a double-double (xtra onions), fries, coke, and a strawberry shake. Wow.
about 22 hours ago from TwitterBerry

For those not familiar, In and Out Burger is local fast food place serving what else - burgers and fries. I guess if you race in that type of weather you can eat whatever you want.

Ian in SD

djconnel

by djconnel

Interesting Levi tapped Peterson on the rear as he passed him on Bonny Doon-Pine Flat, implying he wanted Tom to come along for the ride. Tom couldn't help Levi much: he wasn't going to pull at all, with Zabriskie a GC contender. And he wasn't going to stop Garmin from chasing, as Zabriskie GC was probably worth more than Tom winning (although it may have reduced the enthusiasm with which Garmin chased). My take is it's just Levi being a nice guy.

The main cycling.tv announcer was extremely premature in announcing the top of the climb. He kept insisting they were on the descent when the riders were still out-of-the-saddle.... It's steep to the town of Bonny Doon, near the winery, then continues further, more gradually, to the stop sign at Empire Grade. Magnus B had it right, though. It's a tough climb, especially in the heat, one I've done many times, so it's inspiring watching how Levi basically big-ringed the thing, in the pouring rain.

added: Memorable quote of the "highlight" (actually the last 30 km, unedited) coverage on cycling.tv: Magnus B described how in the wet conditions, if you pick your lines well and avoid the paint, you can descend Empire Grade without braking. I know that I tend to get way too conservative in wet roads, fearful I'll lose traction at any corner, or that the rider in front of me will do the same. For the latter issue, the answer is to make sure I have a line to the inside of the guy in front of me, as if he goes down he's going to slide outward. But most of all, I need to just relax a bit more.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

STARNUT wrote:The counted the time for the first time across the finsh line only. At that point VN only had 20 seconds on the chase group and continued to increase the gap over the next two laps............ which didn't count :roll:. Why don't they just give Levi the race now........ pretty weak if you ask me.

I understand giveing them the same time if there was a crash but what they did was stupid. Effectivly, FM could have sat up and coasted home with the chase group and gotten his same time and still won the stage.

If I was VM I'd be super pissed.

Starnut

There are a couple guys that said virtually anyone having been on that route before was asking for the thing to get neutralized. They wanted virtually no racing on the circuit in the wet...

On the one hand it sucks, but on the other, it beats the pile of bodies from last year and honestly, if the time would not have been fixed, they would more likely been chased down and lost the 20 second advantage versus the gap puching out to a minute...

Just from what I heard...

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

PezTech wrote:
STARNUT wrote:The counted the time for the first time across the finsh line only. At that point VN only had 20 seconds on the chase group and continued to increase the gap over the next two laps............ which didn't count :roll:. Why don't they just give Levi the race now........ pretty weak if you ask me.

I understand giveing them the same time if there was a crash but what they did was stupid. Effectivly, FM could have sat up and coasted home with the chase group and gotten his same time and still won the stage.

If I was VM I'd be super pissed.

Starnut

There are a couple guys that said virtually anyone having been on that route before was asking for the thing to get neutralized. They wanted virtually no racing on the circuit in the wet...

On the one hand it sucks, but on the other, it beats the pile of bodies from last year and honestly, if the time would not have been fixed, they would more likely been chased down and lost the 20 second advantage versus the gap puching out to a minute...

Just from what I heard...

If that's the case then that's really poor planning on the part of the race organizers. Those guys have to realize that in February in California there is a significant chance it might rain. Which means having brick cobbles in the middle of the turn, while it looks cool when dry, is an incredibly stupid idea when it's wet.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

Gregorio wrote:Total BS
It is a freakin OUTRAGE!

:cry: Let Levi ride :cry:

edit
sorry i lost my temper momentarily

If they didn't stop time when they started the circuits, Astana would have let loose with everything they had, and mowed down all three of the guys up the road.

In case you couldn't tell, they (Astana) were riding tempo on the circuits. No offense to Nibali, Van de Walle and Mancebo, but if Armstrong, Horner, Morabito, Popo and Rubiera get going, those three are f***ed.

Yiannis-Super 6.

by Yiannis-Super 6.

currieinahurry wrote:lance is hit by a photographer! crashed out!!
tikka

CRASHED OUT?, tikka,I've must have missed that!!!
Next time,you may want to wait a bit and let Eurosport or whoever you were watching get it right before jumping the gun.
10 SuperSix Hi-Mod
07 System 6.
06 Caad 8
90s Merlin Extralight.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

:lol:

Let Levi Ride....right into Lance's back wheel and into the ground.

:lol:
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

icculus

by icculus

Has anybody else been watching the stages live on http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/ ?????

These commentators are absolutely terrible. Whoever let Frankie Andreu on the air needs to be fired along with Frankie. I understand that it is a difficult job and I probably couldn't do much better but this is actually painful to listen to. I think I have been spoiled by Phil and Paul but this is absolutely terrible. I havn't heard him pronounce one riders name correctly and he just informed me that Oscar Pereiro is a 3 time world champion. Looks like I'm going to watch the rest of the ATOC on mute.