21 Team Barloworld bikes stolen

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Ralphi

by Ralphi

21 Team Barloworld bikes stolen during training camp
A total of 21 bikes have been stolen from the Team Barloworld training camp currently underway in Castagneto Carducci (Livorno), Tuscany.

The theft was discovered this morning by the hotel management when they noticed that the lock of the store room where the 32 Bianchi team bikes were kept had been forced open. Italian police in Donoratico were immediately contacted and investigations have begun to try and discover who stole a total of 21 bikes.

Because of what has happened, most of the Team Barloworld riders have been left without a bike to train on. However Team Manager Claudio Corti has already contacted bike sponsor Bianchi, who is trying to arrange new bikes to be sent to the team so that the riders can continue to work hard for the new season.

Interesting... But i'm just wondering what the hell are you going to do with 21 green (sorry, celeste) bikes with rather big barloworld logo's on? It's not a exacly discreet bike. It's not like you cna sell it on e-bay withut anyone noticing it..

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Did they ever recover all those stolen bikes from last year?
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Cheeky bastards! :shock:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Ralphi wrote:
Interesting... But i'm just wondering what the hell are you going to do with 21 green (sorry, celeste) bikes with rather big barloworld logo's on? It's not a exacly discreet bike. It's not like you cna sell it on e-bay withut anyone noticing it..

they could get them repainted or just stripped and clear coated. The components aren't unique so they can easily part those out and sell them then sell the frames as if they were no brand frames.

Still that is quite the feat...to steal 21 bikes from a hotel store room...seems quite a day for somber cycling news...

Ralphi

by Ralphi

TheBugMan wrote:Did they ever recover all those stolen bikes from last year?

Not that i know of, no.

Szczuldo wrote:
Ralphi wrote:

they could get them repainted or just stripped and clear coated. The components aren't unique so they can easily part those out and sell them then sell the frames as if they were no brand frames.

Still that is quite the feat...to steal 21 bikes from a hotel store room...seems quite a day for somber cycling news...

Yeah i thought about a re-paint to. But eventually someone has to notice that it's not a no name frame... but then again if it's cheap maybe people won't say.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I'm not sure the re-spray would be entirely necessary as (at least with last years model) you were able to by the Bianchi 928SL and T-Cube in full Barloworld livery. Unless the proper team frames have some more distinguishing features?

I wonder if the crooks would be smart enough not to to try and sell all the frames together however.

"This one? Oh yeah fell of the side of a mountain it did. And this one. And this one. And this one too..."

Frans

by Frans

check on eBay. I know a shop caught an employee hocking stuff that "got thrown out with the rubbish" that way. seems obvious enough but a lot of shop monkeys are not exactly ricket scientists

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com