Austrailian Open Road Championship result

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

So Columbia, the winningnest pro men's and women's team last year while on Giant Bicycles, switches to Scott, gets two out of three in a break against a domestic semi-pro on a Giant, and the Giant wins....

(1) You've gotta love bike racing
(2) This might just sell a few Giants....
(3) I'd love to have seen that final.

The obvious question would be why the two time trial champions on Columbia didn't take turns attacking the Drapac-Porsche rider, McDonald. Always easier said than done, I know...

BTW, I was inBike Nüt yesterday and again saw their "stealth" Giant TCR Advanced: clear-coat carbon, no graphics. It's one of the best-looking bikes around. I wish I'd had my camera to take a photo (the web site has a comparable mountain bike shown). On the other hand, I think the Giants with the graphics and paint are ugly. Just my opinion.

vidman

by vidman

djconnel wrote:The obvious question would be why the two time trial champions on Columbia didn't take turns attacking the Drapac-Porsche rider, McDonald. Always easier said than done, I know...

I was there today.
The 3 riders didnt really come together at the front till last half a lap and with a 3ish km downhill run to the finish, I think it was hard to attack and pull away. McDonald just read the final sprint better than the Scott boys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

That makes sense.... stuff can happen so fast, and if McDonald's the strongest, it's hard to do much about it. It's a challenge for the Euro-based guys to be at peak form in early January, while McDonald no doubt is at the top of his game right now. Still, super-impressive win. I love to see this sort of thing (other than Adam being a participant in this forum).

Option

by Option

djconnel wrote:That makes sense.... stuff can happen so fast, and if McDonald's the strongest, it's hard to do much about it. It's a challenge for the Euro-based guys to be at peak form in early January, while McDonald no doubt is at the top of his game right now. Still, super-impressive win. I love to see this sort of thing (other than Adam being a participant in this forum).

Macdonald is a bloody good criterium rider, too. Rogers has a good kick for a GC guy, but I doubt he's been at the pointy end of as many races recently.

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

vidman wrote:
djconnel wrote:The obvious question would be why the two time trial champions on Columbia didn't take turns attacking the Drapac-Porsche rider, McDonald. Always easier said than done, I know...

I was there today.
The 3 riders didnt really come together at the front till last half a lap and with a 3ish km downhill run to the finish, I think it was hard to attack and pull away. McDonald just read the final sprint better than the Scott boys.

Ah, I see. I didn't know that. When I first saw the results, I said to myself "You've got to be f***ing kidding me."

If there was any section of flat ground where they rode together, though, they should have tag teamed that guy into a coma.

andrewgordo

by andrewgordo

rumour is that Macdonald was offered $10,000 to let Rogers win!

3 of them with a few kays to go and they said to him sit up and columbia will pay!

I heard this from a trusted source.

morephyous

by morephyous

I would not sit for 10k :lol: Jersey's worth more than that 8)

kudeta

by kudeta

I heard that Rogers was rumoured to win on Saturday, (race was Sunday) they just had to make it look good. Who says pro racing isn't dodgy

djconnel

by djconnel

morephyous wrote:I would not sit for 10k :lol: Jersey's worth more than that 8)

Divide that by the probability of winning against a pair of Colombia riders. If he thought he had only a 10% chance, that would be a $100k jersey.... "What the heck, I don't have a chance against these guys anyway, why not?"

I'd love to see a video of the last 3km!

JBIKES

by JBIKES

Spot the happy one!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/ ... _MenRR_769

I talked to Adam after the race and there was nothing he could do! The gap he bridged was massive! Most people ruled him out with one lap to go (except those who know just how well Adam can ride :wink: ). As soon as Adam got to Mick and McDonald, he attached, gave it everything but that didn't work so he tried to lead out Mick and well....... watch the reply and make up you own minds.

Well worth watching anyway!

JBIKES

by JBIKES

kudeta wrote:I heard that Rogers was rumoured to win on Saturday, (race was Sunday) they just had to make it look good. Who says pro racing isn't dodgy

Ask anyone at the race and they would have told you another pro is going to win- Meyer, Lloyd, Hansen, the list goes on..... If I was a betting man, (lucky I'm not) I'd would have put it on Hansen. Anyway, if Rogers wasn't strong enought to be up the front of the feild, then about 20 others would have been ready to take the win and jersey. You only win the Nationals if you've done the work and play it smart (there is no hiding on 16 Ascents up the Mt).

Well thats what I think anyway.....

mvogt46

by mvogt46

A good friend of mine rode in the race, he has a blog that he keeps updated almost daily. Some good stuff on there. He wrote a couple of blogs on the race, not race reports, but I find that sort of stuff interesting anyway!

Slightly off topic (sorry), but a bit further down he writes about a team mate that stuffed up the champagne spray on the podium. Very funny!

mvogt46

by mvogt46

Sorry, blog is at: http://cyclingtipsblog.com/

sakic

by sakic

andrewgordo wrote:rumour is that Macdonald was offered $10,000 to let Rogers win!

3 of them with a few kays to go and they said to him sit up and columbia will pay!

I heard this from a trusted source.

I think the offer was $5k though.

he told rogers, "nah mate it's worth more than that"

He was training in the national kit this morning, they got that made quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timbat

by timbat

See video of it here:

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/

Someone pointed out Drapac had the nationals kit for Lapthorne 2 years ago .... think that is how it was out so quick!