how low is too low?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I know this question probably gets beat up, but I am throwing it out there anyway. What do you use to determine the saddle to bar drop? Is there a good rule of thumb, not according to distance.

I have read that you should be able to go from your drops to the hoods under load without straining or feeling like you are going to drop forward.

Also you should not be kicking yourself in the chest.

When you are in the correct position, do your shoulders roll forward?

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OJ

by OJ

I think 150mm is pretty frickin low but based on pro bike pics, there seems to be some pros who have such a huge drop...

At the moment I have 110mm drop on my road bike. I've had 130mm at most on shorter frame. I think I have fairly long arms (~74cm) so 110mm is actually pretty comfy.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I agree on the pro bikes, you see them and you wonder what the thinking is, I have mine now at 110mm of drop, but it could go lower, I am just not sure that I can, still, this is with a 130 mm stem and 70mm of saddle setback, It feels really good climbing, and I out in close to six hours on it this past Saturday. I guess my body would tell me if it was too far.

djconnel

by djconnel

It depends on arm length, torso length, arm angle, and other parameters. So the answer is the best drop is the one which gives the proper hip angle when you're in the drops with a bit, but not too much, bend in the back.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

We keep saying "Pro Bikes" like all of them have insane drops...

Lots due and lots don't...

When only a percentage of Pro riders in perfect shape and trained can manage positions like that, I have to wonder why it's ever a part of our discussions here.

In any case,

Go see a fitter.

NOBODY here can give you a rule of thumb for bar drop and any suggestion otherwise will start to get into a "forum fit" scenario which is basically blind guessing.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

PezTech wrote:We keep saying "Pro Bikes" like all of them have insane drops...

When only a percentage of Pro riders in perfect shape and trained can manage positions like that, I have to wonder why it's ever a part of our discussions here.

In any case,

Go see a fitter.

NOBODY here can give you a rule of thumb for bar drop and any suggestion otherwise will start to get into a "forum fit" scenario which is basically blind guessing.

I have, but the bike I was on would not allow the stem to go any lower, seeing as the frame was too big. I know have a smaller frame, and was curious. I can replicate the same drop on the smaller frame, just curious if there was something that could be used.

Danton

by Danton

Try lower as you can get more aero but of course you can lose power or get uncomfortable. Everything being equal, a flat back is better but as Pez says, there's no rule and it's totally personal. Some pros have low positions, some don't and ignore them, get comfortable first.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

HUMP DIESEL wrote:
PezTech wrote:We keep saying "Pro Bikes" like all of them have insane drops...

In any case,

Go see a fitter.

I have, but the bike I was on would not allow the stem to go any lower, seeing as the frame was too big. I know have a smaller frame, and was curious. I can replicate the same drop on the smaller frame, just curious if there was something that could be used.

There's no tool to arbitrarily dictate fit or what is acceptable. There are some UCI rules on position though.

I would simply go back to the fitter and have them look ate your weigh distribution on the new frame and make sure you're both legal and safe, there's really no practical way to do that other than one on one with someone reviewing what you look like, perform like and are riding first hand.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Well, I have spoken to my coach, and we are going to set up a loaded test to check the efficiency and power at different levels.

HUMP

rustychain

by rustychain

I agree 100% with PrezTech on this one. Weight distribution, flexibility, power vs aero considerations. I even find the riding conditions to be a factor. A GOOD fitter will get you started. Then I listen to my body and my power meter to fine tune the fit. Forget what looks fast, a good fit will make you faster. If your frame is to big get a new one :idea:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com