Helmet Question

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Flossie

by Flossie

I have a 2001 Met Stradavarius helmet which is still going strong and has never been bumped.

My question.... At what age should my helmet be replaced, or, will it maintain its level of protection indefinately?

If manufacturers are to believed, a helmet should be replaced roughly every 3 years or so. Is this just marketing BS?

Thanks
Floss
Arms of a sprinter, legs of a climber, lungs of a smoker!
I cycle, therefore I am.
http://www.dukinfieldcc.org/ http://photobucket.com/albums/b32/clpowellbikes/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Flos the foam can, after time, break down and not have the same crush resistance.

I would call or email Met and confirm the time, but some can break down.

mattr

by mattr

Flossie wrote:will it maintain its level of protection indefinately?

No! From memory its UV damage that does the most damage to them. Compunded by sweat, ozone and a number of other compunds, all working together.

As you live in Stockport you are unlikely to have had much UV exposure. :wink:

But its generally quoted as 3 years before the material properties become unpredictable and performance can no longer be guaranteed, it *could* be ok for another 10 years dependant on how much you've used it, where its been stored, the weather its been exposed to etc, but i wouldn't chance it.

MET will just give you the standard '3 years and bin it' as if they give any other sort of advice they may find themselves in trouble.

And when all said and done, its a 7 year old helmet, and 7 years without a tumble is good going by anyones standards.