How long do you keep a bike for?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Cheers!

by Cheers!

How long do you guys usually keep your bikes for? 2 years? 3 years?

Or do you hang on to them forever?

KB

by KB

I get rid of components, but frames are different. I've still got two steel frames that are 13 and 11 years old (Reynolds 853).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

botto

by botto

Now that the clocks have changed, I'm on my winter bike, which happens to be 15 years old. If that answers your question.

irishdave

by irishdave

ti, forever !!!

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

about a year.
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I still have my old steel GT timberline from 1993!
Other than that, a kestrel from 2001.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

DB

by DB

Now that I'm riding ti hopefully forever
ride, eat, sleep, repeat !

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

My steel Bianchi with 8 speed Record for since 1992, stolen last year. Got the new one to replace it.
I have an old Look KG 131 with 8 speed Dura Ace since 1993 still ridden, although she is used mostly in winter.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

The roadrace-bike tends to get changed every year, while the TT-bike gets a few years. When it comes to the stuff I just train on, it's easy... If it ain't broke, I keep it.
Hell yeah!

rustychain

by rustychain

My last Ti frame lasted 10 years before it cracked. It was becoming a pain however to upgrade bits (forks) as specs keep changing for replacement parts. New BB specs will, if the trend continues make even more frames die before their time :(
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

collideous

by collideous

My oldest is 14 years old and will stay with me forever. The most recent bike is now 2 years old already. The three other bikes I have are in between. My 14 year old mountain bike started as a geared hardtail, has seen quite a few components come and go and is now a rigid singlespeed.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

My 1985 Alan Record Carbonio has over 55000 km on it, and is now my backup bike (rode it within the last week). It started with DA 7400 (New Dura Ace) with indexed shifting 6 speed freewheel, and has since been upgraded to 7401 (7 speed) shifters and freewheel. Still using the original 7400 brake calipers and levers and 7400 crank/BB, although with replacement chainrings. Pedals have changed from original 7400 to DA SPD, and now Time RXS Carbon Ti. Ride wither clinchers in the flatgrounds and for the mountains, GL330 rear on DA 7400 hub and GEL280 front on Campy (Nuovo?) Record (1984 vintage) hub. Still use my 1985 vintage American Classic 25.0 diameter setback seatpost, topped with an Ideale 2002 saddle (which has been swapped out a few times).

I still have a 1983 vintage Trek 760 (Reynolds 531 butted tubes, forks, and stays) with Suntour Superbe Pro (but Nuovo Record large chain ring because the Superbe Pro was too flexy). However, it's not really road worthy anymore and has been relegated just to roller use.

mattr

by mattr

anything rare, special or with sentimental value i keep
(prototypes, made to measure, limited runs, bike i've 'grown' into)

anything else i work out how much it is worth to me to keep, and if i can sell it for 'more' when i get bored with it, it'll go.

thankfully only made one bad choice with bike buying in the last 15 (?) years, and that sale made me a nice profit, which isn't bad for a 2 year old bike, with a 5 or 6 year old suspension design!

and of the other stuff, there is only three i'd consider selling, a mass produced carbon trail bike, an ally training bike and an ally cross bike!

I'm sure the wife will disagree

android

by android

I had a Pansonic DX-4000 that I road from 1986 until about 1998. I upgraded the group on several occasions with the final group being Dura Ace 7400 STI 7spd.

I still have the Blackburn bottle cages in my garage and they are worn flat where the bottle fits from bottle inserts and removals. I think those cages were on the bike for about last 12 years.

Replacement for that bike was a custom Spectrum and I am still riding it with an upgrade to Dura Ace 7800.

Latest bike is a Waterford with S&S couplers for traveling and I can see no reason not to keep it equally as long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

I keep my bikes until I can afford a replacement...........as a student it takes a while to stash enough cash to get a decent bike, so my current crop of bikes will be stopping with me for a while.