Please suggest some good Cycle shops in London

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

legs 11

by legs 11

Hey, sorry ultimobici, that was not meant as a personal poke at you, but it is I think a general reflection of the bike shops in town and in the suburbs.
Of course, not every person that owns or works in a bike shop is a twit, but when looked at as a group, the standard of proffesionalism and customer respect is appalling.
You should see it as an opportunity, lets face it, when the competition is that poor, with a bit of effort and the right people working with you, you could clean up.
I have always thought that the biggest mistake any bike shop could make was employing nippers on very low wages, OK have them in as part timers or saturday staff, but in general the shops are staffed full time by kids who know nothing about road bikes, alot of them know nothing about BMX'x or mountain/jump bikes either.
It's got nothing to do with age or cycling dicipline, it's more about education and working in retail that's missing.
And let's face it, it's not just London, the same is true all round the UK with the possible exeption of some of the shops up north where they seem to have a higher volume of loyal customers and wages can be lower, allowing shop owners to employ more experienced staff.
In the UK in general the problem seems to be that shops can't make any money because the wholesalers and distributors are skimming off the profits before the shops even see it, the shops are forced to get in dirt cheap labour to save on costs.
Or, the shops are making alot more money than they let on by employing kids and selling expensive kit to people without any kind of sales or after sales service.
Sorry for the rant, but that's the way things have gone in London and the surrounding areas for the last 15 years or so. :thumbup:
Cheers, Rob.
Pedalling Law Student.

Steve P

by Steve P

Brick lane bikes is worth a visit if you like fixies and retro stuff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

_SJ_

by _SJ_

Do London shops make money these days on anything other than selling inner tubes to couriers for 5 quid and fixing flats for 20 (bike with shopping basket brought in by a female customer)?

I think everybody's assumption that ANY London bike shop staff should be able to tell tubular glue from tube patch glue by smelling it with their eyes closed is wishful thinking. It's not going to happen since there are many couriers wanting to buy inner tube for a fiver and ladies with a flat on their shopping basket bike to cater to.

racyrich

by racyrich

Central line to Hainault and visit Ciclos Uno. You'll be amazed at how much lightweight stuff you can fit in a room.

arcspin

by arcspin

Condor (of course) sounds like an interesting shop to visit.
At least just to check out their line of clothes...

Seeing that I'm an foreigner, the shops probably try to rip me of or not bother talking to me. So I'm pretty much set on minding my own business while I'm in the shops.

This is going to be great!

//arcspin

Now, If I only knew if there where a descent Pub in London that I could go to...hmmmm :wink:
a climbers delight...SCOTT ADDICT Ltd
http://arcspin.wordpress.com/my-bike/

Camp Mallorca
http://www.campmallorca.se

Sprinter

by Sprinter

Truth is there is no good bike shop in London. If you go to Condors seek out the Australian guy - he's a legend (if he's still there).

Evans is appaling, a joke - the stories I could tell.

You need to head out of the center - Sigma, Pearsons etc.

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

arcspin wrote:Now, If I only knew if there where a descent Pub in London that I could go to...hmmmm :wink:

I'm assuming you mean 'decent', but you get a descent as well at the one on the corner of Clerkenwell Road and Eyre St Hill (or thereabouts, it might be Vine Hill or Back Hill, but you get the idea) where all the couriers go for after work beers. :beerchug:

On a summer evening, you can't see the pub for fixed gear bikes chained to the wall, and it's close to Condor so you can kill two birds with one stone

KB

by KB

After hearing this lot I'm glad I'm from up t'North.

All the staff in my LBS are good guys. Their boss doesn't always think so, but I like them. The only attitude problem they have is fitting Campag. They look down on it as old men's gear. Cheeky buggers. I have them get frames stripped and repainted, stuff polished, even arranged anodising.

The only one I've dealt with in London is Barry Scott at Bespoke. The guy's a diamond to deal with, but like others have said it's not really a shop so far as I can tell.

Standards of service in the UK are not good. You don't expect people to kiss your arse, but in a lot of places they think they're doing you a favour.

nikh

by nikh

My vote is for Sigma Sport.

www.sigmasport.co.uk

The selection of products is very good. Plenty of exotic parts. And a good selection of clothing.

Try and speak to Dan if he's on the shop floor. Good bloke.

arcspin

by arcspin

Many Thanks you guys,
I'm soon of to the airport.

I will check out Sigma and Condor for sure, after that I'm at a Pub :beerchug:

Have a great week, I'm sure I will :D :beerchug: :D

//arcspin
a climbers delight...SCOTT ADDICT Ltd
http://arcspin.wordpress.com/my-bike/

Camp Mallorca
http://www.campmallorca.se

sawyer

by sawyer

KB wrote:Standards of service in the UK are not good. You don't expect people to kiss your arse, but in a lot of places they think they're doing you a favour.

Well put KB. One of the UK's enduring myths about itself ... the world class service culture. Pile of scrotums.

One thing I'd add is there are some very good low to mid-end bike shops in London (e.g. Apex in Clapham) run by knowledgeable and nice people ... but high-end WW stuff isn't their market.

sawyer

by sawyer

arcspin - any feedback ... interested to hear what you thought of the stores you visited.

tochnics

by tochnics

never been to any bike shop in/around London but what about mosquito and posh bikes ?

one day i am bound to make trip
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Dauphin is good.. plus you get to check out the Surrey hills which are worth a ride. There are so many pubs you cant go wrong. Let us know how it goes have fun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

tochnics, Poshbikes is no where near London.
Don't go looking for bike shops here, just head south or west from the city and get out into the country to ride.
+1 Dauphin is right near some nice riding country, in my back yard. 8)
Pedalling Law Student.