HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Franco
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:16 am 

Does anyone care to be a guinea pig for me? Surely one of you need a very well appointed bike for rain ride and crits. $3000 for Sram Force and HED C2s is a good combination. If the frame is as stiff and light as it looks, it might have just broken the engineering rule of thumb: strong, light, inexpensive, pick two.

My hat is off to the crew that started this. It is a very snazzy website for an initial effort.

http://www.francobicycles.com

Last edited by Arky on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Franco
Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:16 am 

Post subject: Re: Franco Direct
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 am 

They look damn nice, that's for sure.

And Franco is a nickname of mine, so wouldn't be the worst brand I could personally choose.... :lol:

Some pretty aggressive geo's for the race version that's for sure.

And I have no idea what the HED Flanders are like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:27 am 

It reminds a bit of this.

By the way, "capella" has a really naughty meaning in italian slang.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:04 pm 

I didn't even notice there were two fits. That is awesome. It must be tube to tube construction.

I am sure the Franco guys will see some hits directed from WW. Here are some questions in case they see this thread:

What is the frame weight for a 54? Did you do have a comparison test for stiffness against a common competitor?

Last edited by Arky on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 pm 

Micky, that Thompson looks nice!

What's the ride like?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:01 am 

On their website, I requested that they check in on this topic at WW. A gentleman called me on my way home from work (I was busy with traffic, so the name escaped me), to answer some of my questions. They are currently working on getting some comparison stiffness data for us. He said that those who have ridden other stiff bikes, such as the Felt F1 sprint, have commented that it felt stiffer. I also learned that this is not a re-badge frame. They designed their frames in house using FEA, their own layup schedule and their own molds. Hopefully they will chime in here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:42 am 

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Micky, that Thompson looks nice!

What's the ride like?

Not mine. :D
But there was a guy in this forum who had one.

Just saying the look is kinda similar.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:46 am 
in the industry

@Arky, thanks for the feedback. We appreciate the comments about the website. We've put most of our efforts into the product and the website is still very much a work in progress. We have plans to dramatically expand the site's capabilities and continue to work towards them while staying extremely busy keeping up with new customers.

@Tinea, the geometries on the Race version are indeed aggressive. We have a Factory Race Team here in southern California and the geometries on the race versions were designed with their input. Their feedback was "long and low" on the race geometry and we did our best to deliver.

@Micky, that Thompson is in fact a good looking bicycle but it does seem to be very different from ours. The round tubes, the cable stops on the down tube, the seat mast topper, and the design aesthetic of the graphics are just some of the differences we quickly noted.

Thanks for the feedback and for taking notice of our bikes. We absolutely appreciate the feedback and the response we've received to date.

Enjoy the weekend!

30961 Agoura Rd. #307
Westlake Village, CA 91361
o / 818.865.8226

A BETTER WAY TO BUY A BIKE.

http://www.facebook.com/francobikes
http://www.twitter.com/francobikes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:06 am 

Franco should have called the frame: The Dictator.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 am 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:59 pm 

Arky wrote:
I also learned that this is not a re-badge frame. They designed their frames in house using FEA, their own layup schedule and their own molds. Hopefully they will chime in here.

This may be a great frame but I wouldn't trust any company that would blatantly lie to me like that.
They didn't design that in house.
They don't own the molds.
They don't have two different fits.
It's designed and built by Axman. The molds are open and used by a dozen other companies. Zoulou, Janssen, Granville, Velocite, and even Pedal Force have or had this frame.

The race fit is just a very small frame. All of the above companies have the exact same geometries on their models as well. None of them call the 48 a race fit but it has the same geo.

Several people on this board have these frames with other names. vmajor even sells them. The frames are well liked and a good value. They are certainly not original. They have been sold for $800 and less.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:40 pm 

You missed it, there are two different tabs. There are two different head tubes for all sizes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:01 am 
in the industry

Thanks for the replies and the dialogue regarding our bikes. The Balcom frame was indeed designed and engineered in house, and we do own the molds. While our bike may have some visual similarities to others in the market place, it is not the same frame. If you look at the detail photos of our bike, you may be able to quickly spot some of the differences.

We do indeed have two different fits. We offer a Race fit with shorter head tubes, and an Endurance fit with a longer head tube for a more upright riding position. Since we don't recommend more than 40mm of stack on a steerer above the top of the head tube, this type of versatility is critical in being able to properly fit most cyclists. For those that aren't sure of which size fits them best, we also include a bike fit using the Retul 3D motion capture fitting system on a size cycle to determine a rider's handlebar stack and reach numbers and then recommend a size and fit based on the results of the fitting. The price of the fit is included in the complete price of the bike.

From a bike fit perspective, a smaller frame is not an ideal way to achieve a race fit. Achieving a true race fit would traditionally be to allow the rider to run a smaller back angle, while maintaining a proper armpit angle to their wrist. While this can sometimes be achieved with a smaller race frame, one then runs the risk of placing the rider to far over the pedal spindle with the steeper seat angles of the smaller frames, or also causing back problems with a lower back angle but with a reach that is to short to the hoods or drops. This could cause back issues while riding under power (even with a very long stem).

Ideally, a rider would just be able to get lower on the correct size frame. Which is why so many Pro Tour teams run frames with custom geometries, often running head tubes 15-30mm lower than what can be bought by consumers. We're doing our best to bring this type of selection and fit to our customers with our bikes.

30961 Agoura Rd. #307
Westlake Village, CA 91361
o / 818.865.8226

A BETTER WAY TO BUY A BIKE.

http://www.facebook.com/francobikes
http://www.twitter.com/francobikes

Post subject: Re: Franco
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:59 am 

I am a bit fascinated by this new brand. It could be the US version of Canyon if it catches on properly.

There is an initial review now:
[url]
http://testrider.com/fly.aspx?layout=vi ... 82&cid=273[/url]

I am still waiting for more reviews. The rear end stiffness is something I would like to hear more about.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm 

FrancoBicycles wrote:

best new bike pic so far this year.. it's a stunning bike, and i deffinitelly want one as hell :twisted:

Arky wrote:
It could be the US version of Canyon if it catches on properly.

IMO it blows canyon away, much more composed in shape and design. plus this race geometry thing... gotta love it. i hope Franco make it availible in EU 8)

edit: hold on there for a minute... 3k for a force/hed version? that's uber nice [size=85]...do they run a drug money loundry ?[/size]

Last edited by tymon_tm on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm 

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next