HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:43 am 

XCProMD wrote:
Seller: "Campagnolo? That doesn't exist anymore. My father rode Campagnolo, but 20 years ago they closed the factory, so everybody began to import that Shimano stuff from Japan"

That could be a contendor for the most ignorant. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 am 

XCProMD wrote:
Seller: "Campagnolo? That doesn't exist anymore. My father rode Campagnolo, but 20 years ago they closed the factory, so everybody began to import that Shimano stuff from Japan"

Dude, I don't even care- that's AWESOME. That guy sounds completely f#cking bonkers, and I'm loving it.

Like when we were kids, one of the guy's grandfather was insane and lived in a home near the school and we'd stop by and he'd serve us Dr. Pepper and chips and tell us stories about how he was once in a knife fight with Hitler and sh#t. RAD.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:15 pm 

XCProMD wrote:

:no1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 pm 

XCProMD wrote:

Name and Shame, so we can go, point and laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 pm 

A shop in Seville, Spain. Unfortunately, I was too worried trying to stop a laugh attack as to remember to ask him his name.

I think a bike sporting a STX rear mech was the top notch i saw there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:03 am 

Starter wrote:
I had taken delivery of a brand new Alpha Q CS-20 fork late afternoon, the day before a race. Figured if I glued the insert in early evening, it would be ready to ride the next morning. I didn't have a cutting guide, and the cut needed to be perfect for the insert to be flush, so I took it to a local shop to cut... by now it was after seven, and the shops I usually go to were all closed- basically this was the only thing open.

Now let me be clear- I'm the idiot here. The moment the shop wrench said "this is a big job, can you pick it up tomorrow?" I know I should have run screaming. Instead, I explained the situation, how I wouldn't have time to glue the insert if I picked it up the next day. He told me to come back in an hour.

Came back in an hour, and the wrench looked very pleased with himself. He told me that not only did the "job go well", but that I could ride the fork tonight if I wanted to... my heart began to beat fast... sure enough, he went back to the service desk, retrieved my fork, and proudly showed me how he'd hammered a regular starnut into the steerer... effectively destroying the fork. Deep gouges... It was horrible.

:shock:

I'll add a little bit of modesty to the thread, since the stupid thing came from me:

I work as a tech in a pretty good shop in Montreal (our reputation is based on the quality of the shop staff...). I grease a BB (OK, let me at least say that the shop was pretty busy, and I was doing two or three other things at the same time...) then install the Ultegra Octalink bb and put the crank back on, give it back to the custommer, who puts her bike in her car and and goes away.

About two hours later, I see on my work desk a left Shimano cup... it seemed to be a Ultegra one... :oops:

At least I called the lady right away and she lived near the shop and did not ride her bike since my good work on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 am 

OLver wrote:
At least I called the lady right away and she lived near the shop and did not ride her bike since my good work on it!

In the dim and distant past, i fitted a customers brand new rockshox judy SL forks, and at the same time, converted his bike from head set to ahead.

And forgot to do up the pinch bolt on the stem :oops:

In my defence (m'lud)

A) it got noticed as he popped the bike on its back wheel to wheel it thro the shop, and the front wheel flopped to one side.
B) it was the first Aheadset i had ever fitted
C) everything bar the forks had been supplied by the customer, no instructions
D) Aheadsets were still pretty unusual. (I mean, it was still in 'recent memory' of seeing early prototypes..........)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 pm 

XCProMD wrote:
Like when we were kids, one of the guy's grandfather was insane and lived in a home near the school and we'd stop by and he'd serve us Dr. Pepper and chips and tell us stories about how he was once in a knife fight with Hitler and sh#t. RAD.

Did he invite you kids to the basement for ice pops as well? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 pm 

Young wide-eyed kid to shop attendant: "Hey sir, can I please have a look at the GL 330 on the wall. It's on sale isn't it?"

Attendant to yound kid: "Look, I'm not going to show you. You can't afford it"

The thing was like $49 dollars or something, hardly exactly unobtainable. That was at Racer Sportif on Bloor St in Toronto circa 1988. I hope they aren't in the cycle business any more. I actually thought I had done something wrong when I guess all I did was look young, a little scraggly, and perhaps penniless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:40 pm 

Frans wrote:
Young wide-eyed kid to shop attendant: "Hey sir, can I please have a look at the GL 330 on the wall. It's on sale isn't it?"

The thing was like $49 dollars or something, hardly exactly unobtainable. That was at Racer Sportif on Bloor St in Toronto circa 1988. I hope they aren't in the cycle business any more. I actually thought I had done something wrong when I guess all I did was look young, a little scraggly, and perhaps penniless.

The sign said "long haired freaky people need not apply". :)

I was a salesman in a clothing store in college and this young guy comes in. He wasn't dressed very nice and he looked like your average slacker. So I just smiled and said, Hi. Next thing I know he's got about $500 worth of clothes on the counter to buy. "Nice Guy" i thought. LOL He wrote a check for it....which bounced. SON OF A....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:18 pm 
in the industry

I went with my best friend when I was at university to the BMW garage in my rubbish £500 car. My best friend wanted to buy a BMW. The salesman treated us like shit. We wore Jeans, t-shirt, flip flops.... we looked like crap. Pitty really the salesman hadn't clocked my friend's patek philippe. He bought his 330ci fully loaded at a different dealer, but made a point of going to the same salesman at the first place to discuss his 335i and his M3 before purchasing them elsewhere. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:48 am 

Frans wrote:

Racer Sportif in Toronto is run by a complete idiot. They are still in business and in the same location. I once asked to see a Deda bar and the guy at the counter just sort of stared at me kinda of sizing me up. When he realized he would have to "go downstairs" to get the bar he pretended to be busy with some other task until I left the store. The people in there are just incompetent @ssholes - mean, bitter and treat customers like an inconvenience. I have no idea how they stay in business. Crap product selection as well and all of it way over priced. Avoid at all costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:10 am 

I just got one here...

me: Hi, I'm just here to collect my wheelset. (Hands docket for truing service)
A few minutes later mech came out with the wheelset.
me: So is everything fixed now? Do you mind if I check it?
mech: Sure. (Hands me the wheelset confidently)
me: I can't really tell (by spinning). Do you mind showing it to me on your truing stand.
Mech (A bit hesitant now): I managed to true the rear wheel back, but I can't really do much with the front wheel because there's a stuck nipple on one of the spokes
So he put the wheels one by one on his truing stand and proceed explaining what he'd done.
me (surprised that it's actually looking worse than before): Wow! The front wheel still looks quite wobbly ...
mech (interrupting quickly): Yeah well as I said there's a stuck nipple on the wheel and there's nothing much I can do about it. I did the best I could with it.
me (still not satisfied): Well is there anyway to fix it at all? I don't mind paying a little bit extra (was implying at nipple replacement cost).
mech: Yeah I can but it might be about 2-3 hours labour and we charge $85 an hour.

To cut the story short, I ended up paying for it as I didn't really want to continue arguing there and walked out feeling very pissed.

FYI, went to another bike shop later on and the bike shop laughed when I told him the story. This bike shop sprayed a little bit of lube to free the frozen nipple on the front wheel and trued it nicely. Great service too.

This was about two days ago. This morning when I took the wheels for a ride I realized that the rear wheel has extreme uneven spoke tensions. I don't have a tension meter ATM, but some of the spokes basically hardly had any tension on them!!!!

And this was a big bike chain store in my area charging premium on everything (wheel truing is $35/wheel)

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:23 am 

well i know its not a bike shop exactly but once i was in legs 11's workshop and he told me he was giving up beer for a while.. the converstaion went something like this

legs: yea tikka i think i need to get me some of those currie approved cannons gunna lay of the boooze for a while me thinks get rid of some of this gut.

tikka: yea rob agreed it really doesnt help your climbing or aero properties.

legs: i reckon of i keep the power i have and stop getting pissed ill be able to drop my bodyweight by about 20 kilos and be troubleing contador in the mountains. (he laughs satanically)

tikka: (laughing in a scared sort of way ) sweet dude so can we have a look at those wheels now?

legs : no worrys ill pop em in the stand mate... oh damn

tikka: whats up? the wheels ok?

legs : yea there fine mate i just really want a beer

tikka: lol ill get em.

:wink:

tikka

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:23 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:35 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
irwan wrote:
... we charge $85 an hour. ...
And this was a big bike chain store in my area charging premium on everything (wheel truing is $35/wheel)

You got a great bargain on the wheel truing as long as it took at least 24 minutes 43 sec labor per wheel. Now at 24 minutes 42 sec or less labor per wheel, you would have been better off paying the per hour labor rate. :smartass:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next