The stupidest thing you've heard at a bike shop...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

And if you live in America, you do not offer advice to anyone because of the law suits that will come your way if you help an idiot.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

^^^ Owner could just sell you the right crank/BB tools without telling you anything (avoiding his purported "liability") and probably sold you on several more tools, or he could insure that you never come back. Unless he's the only game in town, I really don't get this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

TBH. The number of idiots we used to get with badly maintained (I.e. actually broken) bikes, and shredded fingers, knuckles, face, hands, legs. Even when they've had the right tools, the instructions and some hints and tips. Plus a chance to watch a proper mechanic do the job. I can kind of see his point.
Luckily I've never worked in a litigation happy country!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Problem is it is becoming more and more common in the UK that the customer is looking for someone else to blame. The idea that something is their fault and not warranty or litigable is a fast dying concept.

micky

by micky

That "someone else to blame" concept is popular everywhere.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You're right!! You're to blame for the someone else to blame concept being popular everywhere.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

HammerTime2 wrote:You're right!! You're to blame for the someone else to blame concept being popular everywhere.

I'm to blame? How so?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

There was a bike shop in AZ lost a million dollar law suit because they didn't tighten a kids bmx bike front wheel, kid crashed and got hurt.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Well no shit they lost, they made a very serious mistake. What is ridiculous is selling some one a pedal wrench and showing them how to use it, they go home and mess up some how then they blame you for it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

LOL, to lay the blame like that one has to be a total moron. on the other hand, world is full of people giving bad advice that may result in some sort of injury/damage etc.

as a shop owner (in US) i'd think twice before telling a persone how to change a spare. but, as someone used to say, every problem is an opportunity in disguise - maybe i'd think of offering my clients a 'do it yourself' after-hours course - i'm sure many customers would appreciate that sort of initiative, plus i'd make some extra $$$ :idea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

dofman wrote:Sorry, but If you need to ask him what tools is needed to tight a crank, then clearly he was right..

Dude, I've been overhauling BBs since I was 16 - I know how to tighten a crank. What I was after was the little two-pronged tool I'd never seen before.

My problem is the way he delivered his message - he could have started by saying, "I'd love to show you, but I've had this incident in the past...blah blah blah." And if he took the time to know who I was he'd have had a different answer. I doubt very much he'd know how to install ilink cables.

Nice first post by the way. Oh, and it's a 10mm hex. ;-)

mattr

by mattr

mellowJohnny wrote:What I was after was the little two-pronged tool I'd never seen before.
TL-FC21? It's a standard tool, if you've done much spannering you should have one (for gripping the other side of a chainring bolt, or inserting any number of lock rings.) or at least know of its existence.

quattrings

by quattrings

I believe mellowjohnny is talking about a pin tool commonly used for older type bb where there is a preload on the bearings. Also handy for loosening up the lefty hub cap.
I made one myself from a piece of 4x4 and some nails. If you ever need one in a pinch, it certainly gets the job done.

Bicycle maintenance is something you can learn on your own pretty easily with just basic knowledge of physics and mechanics. Granted mistakes will be made so start of on cheaper parts and bikes as a weight weenies' mistakes can be expensive and irreversible with smaller margins for error.

mattr

by mattr

^^^^ which are even more common than the shimano tool!

(I've got both, and a proper peg spanner. Somewhere......)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Yeah - probably. I just wanted to be sure I had the right tool before I tried, hence the original question...

Bicycle maintenance is something you can learn on your own pretty easily with just basic knowledge of physics and mechanics. Granted mistakes will be made so start of on cheaper parts and bikes as a weight weenies' mistakes can be expensive and irreversible with smaller margins for error.

Exactly my point! That's how I've learned to do everything over the years. Since this crank is new to me I wanted to be sure.

This is what I'm talking about:

I don't mean to hijack the thread...