* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:45 am 

What the factorial !

http://bicycling.about.com/b/2007/08/29 ... market.htm

Lets talk a little about this... Is anyone else upset ?

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:45 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:14 am 

Hi,

I'm not from the US so I have never personally been to a Wal-Mart. I've only read a couple of articles about how they seem to be doing business.

So if I were willing to spend $1.900 for a bike I would definitely NOT consider Wal-Mart (which would also be true for any other shopping).

Btw. I think a bike shouldn't be treated like a packet of milk which you just put in a shopping cart. It deserves our full respect! :)

So long live our LBSs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:25 am 

Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.
Guess what I'm going to use my employee discount on this year!

Seriously though, I've lived in a couple small towns in Kansas and Alabama with no bike shops but there was a Walmart. They really helped me feed my passion back in the day. Maybe there's some kid out there who'll get a carbon bike of his/her dreams then win 9 TDF races in a row with the CERA which is also very cheap by the bulk there.

I am a Walmartian!!!

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:34 am 

No reason to get angry. If Wal Mart sells a few more bikes, it still won't change the fact that they sell more than bikes any other outlet in the world right now. And we Americans (don't let where I live now fool you) need more people on bikes yesterday. The sad part is though Wal Mart has crushed a lot of small town mom and pop businesses - including many many bike shops. Service is zero at a Wal Mart. I wonder how many people will buy this bike and then a few months down the road need to get a RD dialed in and get pissed because their "high end" bike does not shift properly and Wal Mart closed down the last bike shop in town where real service could be found. Long live the LBS indeed.

Funny how $1,900 is considered high end for some people and entry level for others... It's all relative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:14 pm 
Banned

This is just the tip of a very very shitty iceberg exquisitely formed by mr Lance Armstrong.

I just wish you would all get back to playing golf and leave our sport alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:22 pm 

wal mart is one evil company! how dare they enter our sport!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:28 pm 

EURO wrote:
This is just the tip of a very very shitty iceberg exquisitely formed by mr Lance Armstrong.

I just wish you would all get back to playing golf and leave our sport alone.

Is this post in the right topic?

I fail to see what relevance this has to the topic at hand.

Specifically, Lance rides Treks...which are only sold at LBSs; you can't buy them first-hand online.

So, if anything, Lance helps keep the LBS around. Seems to be quite the opposite of Wal-Mart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:38 pm 

I hate Walmart. But I probably go once every week or two to punish myself for being alive because that's how I roll. :lol:

I've bought bikes at Walmart...not for me though. I'd never ride that crap. I've got probably 5 kids bikes that came from Walmart. The reason I didn't buy them at an LBS is because:
1. Even the lowest end kids bikes at your typical LBS are double what they are typically at walmart. Are the LBS bikes better? Yes...too good for my kids in fact.

Which leads me to....

2. My kids treat stuff like crap. It would be a shame if I spent $150 on a little kid bike only to see it left out in the rain to rust, thrown on the ground when they were done playing with it, left in the driveway to be run over by my wife or one of the neighbors. It wouldn't break my heart if I just spent $40-50 on it....which is what the Dora the Explorer and Barbie bikes cost me. They're crap bikes with cheap components, paint and stickers that come off when they get wet. Yeah...so? They'll still last well beyond the years that my kids will use them. A given bike will only last them a couple of years before they grow out of them...then they will get handed down to the next kid in line. I've got 4 different sized kids bikes. They belonged to our oldest daughter and as the younger two grow up we pass them from one kid to the next. It works great and I don't have to go buy new bikes all the time. When they get old enough and learn to respect things and know the value of a dollar I'll get them a bike from the LBS.

But I'd never spend over $300 on a bike from Walmart. They simply do not know how to service it and I have doubts about the quality of assembly. Does a clown at walmart who assembles bikes have a clue about how to set up deraileurs properly, or how about how to do a tape job, or adjust any number of things properly with the correct amount of torque? Even if they supplied an assembly manual explaining how to do it properly it's probably going to get glazed over. I'm thinking no....they don't know how to build up high end bikes. I'll gladly pick up one of these bikes on clearance when they fail and realize they are trying to enter a game that the LBS still wins at. "Joe Plumber" is not going to spend $1500 on a bike. And that's who Walmart's typical customer is...the average Joe. This will not spell the end for your LBS. It only means Walmart is trying to sell something that, in the end, people won't want to buy from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 pm 

I only go to Walmart to buy bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:39 pm 

For someone with decent skills at assembling/adjusting bikes this is a pretty good deal. I'm sure they would sell the bike in the shipping carton or get it online. Full carbon frame with mostly Ultegra/105 parts for that price is hard to beat. The weak link are the R550 wheels.

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:06 pm 

Stolichnaya wrote:
No reason to get angry. If Wal Mart sells a few more bikes, it still won't change the fact that they sell more than bikes any other outlet in the world right now. And we Americans (don't let where I live now fool you) need more people on bikes yesterday. The sad part is though Wal Mart has crushed a lot of small town mom and pop businesses - including many many bike shops. Service is zero at a Wal Mart. I wonder how many people will buy this bike and then a few months down the road need to get a RD dialed in and get pissed because their "high end" bike does not shift properly and Wal Mart closed down the last bike shop in town where real service could be found. Long live the LBS indeed.

Funny how $1,900 is considered high end for some people and entry level for others... It's all relative.

If it leads to more people on bikes that is okay with me.

As for Wal-Mart squashing the small town mom and pop business, I completely disagree. It is the consumers decision to shop at Wal-Mart. The consumers have their own values and if that value is to save a penny or two at the expense of locally own shops then so be it. Wal-Mart caters to those values. Wal-Mart does not instill those values.

On the flip side, I believe this will increase LBS business. As noted, Wal-Mart has no service. I have seen many Next bikes in area LBS and this will only flood the service floor. LBS depend upon service for income and I believe this will increase service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:30 pm 

CaptainWilier wrote:
I only go to Walmart to buy bullets.

LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:45 pm 

Yes...

The fact that Bicycling is getting to be more main stream and that will drive down prices and increase the value for your money and bring more people in to the sport is HORRIBLE!!!

It's a far better thing for the sport to muddle around on the fringe so that some of us can feel somehow superior...

The best part is the narrow minded babble from the ignorant who might try and place it as something worth individual blame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:11 pm 

Wait till they start selling electric dura ace at $1000 less than your lbs. Then lets see who still wouldnt shop their out of principle. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:21 pm 

So long as it doesn't say Walmart on the down tube, what difference does it make? The bike doesn't look too bad & it comes with reliable components... is this any different to what Decathlon have on offer? They've become hugely popular in Europe for budget-concious cyclists.

The alloy bike looks alright:

(can't find a decent image big enough to link to for the FC version)

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:21 pm