Does anyone ever worry about hearing damage while riding?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

synchronicity

by synchronicity

You know the story... you're cycling along a nice flat road anywhere between 35 and 45km/hr... and your feel the wind in your ears. When you get up to 50-60kph, this becomes quite noisy.

But over the long term, is this giving us hearing damage:?:

There's even a few strange looking patents: :shock:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5477564/fulltext.html
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6029282.html
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

I didn't really think about it until I went riding for the first time with an mp3 player. Just one ear, and I couldn't hear anything, so I yanked the remote, wound up the volume to a level I could just hear and went from there. Turned it off post ride, turned it on the next day and was nearly deafened, I'd had the volume up 5 times higher than usual, right on the top threashold of what the player could do.

Though I wonder if hteres any actual hearing damage because of air deflection causing a threshold audio intensity level to penetrate that air layer before a person can hear it...but that could just be bullshit.

Admittedly, my hearing is fairly dodgy, and it certainly got worse wihle I was riding, so.....
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

irwan

by irwan

I do feel my hearing worsening, but can't confirm if it's because of riding or something else.

Wasn't there some kind of device which can be attached to the helmet strap to deflect noise?? I thought I read it in this forum a while ago...

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

pardon?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

slipstreamz...

And yeah I think your hearing can suffer... I know a motor patrole officer who had one ear covered and the other open all the time for hearing and for the microphone mouthpiece to mount on that side.

In the last 10 years he now hears 30% better in the ear that was covered...

Needs more study but I think you're correct.

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

Sensible motorcyclists wear ear plugs, as the combination of high speeds and the amplifying effect of a full enclosure helmet can generate noise levels of 90dBA+ (well over 100dBA with very high speeds and poor helmet designs), enough to cause hearing damage. I don't see anything like that being generated on a bicycle, even going downhill at 40mph.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Slipstreamz make it worse, the turbulence is noisier.

I would suggest taking a typical expanded foam plug and cut it in half. This will reduce high volume damaging noise, but still allow you to hear traffic.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

I wear head phones connected to a MP3 player. I adjust the volume pre-ride to where I can hear and talk. During the ride, the buds act more as deflectors to bugs and wind with music just barely audible.

I have ridden without and I have to say my ears felt raw. I always have plugs whether the player is on or off.

seriousconsult

by seriousconsult

Also as you up intensity the blood flow to ears decreases making the rider want to turn up the volume.

Be careful with mp3 players.

iliveonnitro

by iliveonnitro

Motorcycles have to deal with really loud engines, so that doesn't really apply in our case, though.

Scottybee

by Scottybee

i used to ride with the in-ear phones (kinda like earplugs) they worked well in the sense that the volume could be at the same level as normal.

I stopped when one day i almost got run into by some guy who could not hear me coming (he made a sharp right turn from the middle of the road) i then realized that people who ride with music are a pain in the ass.

and all of them are indeed

so stoppit :evil:
17 and stupid, bear with me

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

iliveonnitro wrote:Motorcycles have to deal with really loud engines, so that doesn't really apply in our case, though.

You've obviously never actually ridden a fast or modern motorcycle. Wind noise completely obscures engine noise for any moderately well silenced engine at even quite modest speeds.
http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Below 30mph, machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.

Source:
http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Tubes6al4v

by Tubes6al4v

I wonder how sound dampening headphones (like Bose ear buds and similar) would do. I find myself running my headphones at rediculous levels. Not only does this make my ears hurt post ride, but I blow the speakers left and right.

Anyone know of some nice noise dampening headphones that will work with a phone? Nokia if that matters.

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

Tubes6al4v wrote:I wonder how sound dampening headphones (like Bose ear buds and similar) would do. I find myself running my headphones at rediculous levels. Not only does this make my ears hurt post ride, but I blow the speakers left and right.

Have you considered turning off all the electronics and just enjoying the sounds of nature while you ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com