Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 am 

Hello weight weenies!! This is my first post so please go easy. Right, here goes.

Being slightly ham fisted i managed to over torque a bottle cage bolt on the downtube (worst place, fully sealed tube) on my Cannondale BadBoy Carbon. Which led to the inner portion of the boss spinning with the bolt, and neither tightening or un tightening. Yeah, real clever i know.

Having Dremmel'd the bolt head off, this allowed the broken inner portion of the boss and remaining bolt shaft to fall into my frame. About 4 hours and some serious swearing later i managed to grip it with some pliers and twist it out. (Having flared the hole by about half a millimeter) So now im without a bottle boss thingy. Any ideas on where i could get one?? Bearing in mind its a carbon frame? My LBS is manned by monkeys so there no good. Cheers folks.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 pm 

You could try an alloy riv-nut(Rivet with thread inside).Before you rivet it put some epoxy glue around the hole, rivet it and paint it black?

Post subject: Riv nuts ehh??
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:02 pm 

Riv nuts ehh?? Will be Google/eBaying them!! hope they work with a carbon frame though, dont want to do anymore destruction to my precious bike. Cheers Irish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:37 pm 

i beleive you need a tool to fit them (or at least fit them properly, so they won't move/rattle)

Find a another good local shop or frame builder. They may have the nuts and the gun/tool available.

Post subject: The tools needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:40 pm 

Yeah man, that seems to be the case. But ive just bought 10 M5 Riv Nuts for a quid off eBay (Cool huh??)

Now im going to investigate how much the tool costs, as im the kind of person who likes to fix the things i break myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:44 pm 
Shop Owner

Depending on the kind of rivnut that shows up you can easily make your own rivnut tool. All you need is a steel bolt M5x20mm or longer and an m6 nut. Slide the m6 nut onto the bolt, it won't thread on as the nut is larger than the bolt. Then thread the bolt into the rivnut threads. While holding the M6 nut with a wrench begin to tighten the m5 bolt. Since the m6 nut will allow the bolt to spin it will pull the top of the rivnut against the m6 bolt. Doing this will expand the rivnut and lock it into place.

Fair Wheel Blog

Instagram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:10 pm 

....and the epoxy glue stops it rattle....(and chemically bonds it to the frame)

Post subject: What a good idea.......
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:14 am 

That is a very good idea, Cheers

Indeed i will try that. but when it comes to glue, is epoxy safe to use with carbon? dont want to damage or degrade my frame......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:17 am 

Also, I cant believe i managed so long without this kick ass forum. Its soooo reassuring to know im not on my own out here/there, Cheers again boys.

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:17 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:33 am 

I'm a perfectionist and would either get a quote from Calfee or from the manufacturer.... :shrugh: