GPS compatable phones (US)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

rustychain

by rustychain

My Blackberry just died. I'm looking at a new phone. The one feature I would like is something that can get me home when I go on one of my "ride abouts". The IPhone looks great but the service charge is double that of my Blackberry. I am asking what phones are available and how helpful the GPS is. Some require downloaded maps others like the IPhone do not. I would prefer the latter but its not a deal breaker. I would also prefer lite weight and durable. The last GPS I had was one of the first generation cookie crumb models, that is not what I'm looking for.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

you can get small bluetooth GPS units that work with any bluetooth phone.
I have one from holux. It works with google maps.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

M_b•

by M_b•

are you sure the iPhone service charges are double??? There really is no "iPhone" plan -- it's simply the all-inclusive data package that you would have to pay for a blackberry anyway... ok, maybe it's like $5 more for unlimited web access.

My iPhone is now costing me LESS than my previous t-mobile package with all the nickels and dimes for data here, text there, etc... Sure the iPhone is a bit more money up front (depends on the situation actually), but you could not pry it out of my hands.

... and with the real time navigation, i could see where it could really come in handy if i ever find myself on a strange road in a strange city after having made a wrong turn somewhere.

sorry, but what you describe you are looking for is the iPhone. Look into it a little closer and you might be surprised how affordable the plans can be.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Actually, new Blackberrys have GPS and G3 web.

Among Canadian carriers, the iPhone and Blackberry packages for enterprize servers is within a few dollars of each other. Either is insanely expensive and I would not have one if I were personally paying for it.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

nikh

by nikh

I'm with AT&T and my iPhone plan is cheaper when comparing with my old crackberry plan.

rustychain

by rustychain

This all got started on my recent trip to Lancaster Pa. Its almost impossible not to get lost in those back roads

I looked at the Blackberry with GPS, in my area GPS is added to the "unlimited" plan :? . Cost $73 a month total
I do have one issue with both the IPhone and Blackberry in that they both tend to be fragile (insurance not available as well) and prone to making calls inadvertently (I once had my Blackberry call my Senator when my phone was in my pocket :oops: ) but the Iphone GPS software is just what I want. I just have to reconcile my wants vs my needs :roll:

Thanks for your replies

Taz

by Taz

Get yourself an HTC Diamond and Garmin's Mobile XT (or other similar software)
No need for downloadable maps and no extra charges.
Keep in mind though that with the GPS on the battery lasts only a few hours with these PDA phones.

rustychain

by rustychain

went with the IPhone, Prices have come down. Can't wait to get lost

Tugboat

by Tugboat

I've found that the GPS on my iPhone isn't particularly accurate. It's often 100 - 200m out which in a city, puts you on a completely different street than the one you know that you're really on.
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Keep in mind the iPhone complaints of when you actually need to use it for something useful, it's battery is too small. This has spun off iPhone secondary batteries from a few companies.

bcheung

by bcheung

DocRay wrote:Keep in mind the iPhone complaints of when you actually need to use it for something useful, it's battery is too small. This has spun off iPhone secondary batteries from a few companies.

Battery management is an issue with any self-powered device.

You want to know how to prolong the life of your iPhone? Turn off 3G when you don't need it. Turn off push email when you don't need it. Turn off WiFi when you don't need it. Turn off Bluetooth if you don't need it. Turn down screen brightness.

los318

by los318

i was under the impression Iphone's used cell towers and triangulation for their gps system. I have a BB Curve (well did till it died 2 day ago) and that had an actual GPS system built into it. Worked like a charm and fairly accurate. but like most things on the phone, i rarely used it.

bcheung

by bcheung

@los: iPhone also has a GPS chip/antenna. But it uses triangulation to assist the GPS.

rustychain

by rustychain

Accuracy of the GPS is in my limited understanding a function of the resolution standards allowed by your government. Worries that it could be used for military purposes leads some governments to a less accurate image. Let me assure you in case your not already wise to it that I am far from an expert in this field however so feel free to disregard my opinion.

All I can say is that its working great so far. I have the thing in a hard case for protection. My only complaint is its heavy :shock: I went out and tried to get lost today (no snide comments please) and it was easy to find were I was and get directions home. Thats all I needed (oh ya, I can make calls too)

Taz

by Taz

rustychain wrote:Accuracy of the GPS is in my limited understanding a function of the resolution standards allowed by your government. Worries that it could be used for military purposes leads some governments to a less accurate image. Let me assure you in case your not already wise to it that I am far from an expert in this field however so feel free to disregard my opinion.

That is not entirely true. This was the limiting factors a few years ago but not any more.
Accuracy in GPS units can vary greatly. The fact that the software places the vehicle in the nearest street does not let you know when the signal is less than accurate most of the time. Here you can find a test someone did with various GPS units. It is in Greek but the photos are self explanatory.

http://www.navimania.gr/showthread.php?t=7896

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com