Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:33 pm 

I was perusing a couple of cycling websites and came upon this website...

http://www.granfondocyclingtours.com/ra ... gwodLmVbgA

The Michael Rasumen Cycling Camp (in San Diego)

The gist of the camp besides the obvious riding aspect (I especially like the part about "life in the peloton").

Learn the art of climbing from one of the greatest climbers in cycling today, Michael Rasmussen, aka the “flying chicken.” GRANFONDO CYCLING TOURS is hosting a training camp in San Diego to take advantage of this amazing opportunity. In addition to cycling, our program features lectures and question and answer sessions about climbing, training, and “life in the peloton” by Michael himself. Additional sessions cover biomechanics, sports nutrition, and offer a professional bike fitting.

Ride with Tour de France Star Michael Rasmussen

Learn the Art of Climbing from the Best

Lectures on Climbing, Training & "Life in the Peloton" by Michael

Michael will be available for the entire duration of this camp to share his 25 years of racing experience, and to discuss some of his favorite stage wins. Don’t miss this incredible opportunity! Sign up now to reserve your place. Space is limited to 20 riders and this camp will fill up quickly. Contact: tobias@gftours.com

Ian in SD

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:44 pm 

How do you make the idea of a flying chicken seem more interesting and glamorous. :lol: :lol:
I reckon the advertising guys will have their work cut out with this one. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:51 pm 

Mario Cippolini training camp?........then yes, count me in.
Lots of clubbing, plenty of riding and joking, glamorous supermodels and free booze, now were talking. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:16 pm 

Wonder if there's a proscribed list of Questions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:20 pm 

legs 11 wrote:
Mario Cippolini training camp?........then yes, count me in.
Lots of clubbing, plenty of riding and joking, glamorous supermodels and free booze, now were talking. :wink:

you never know, mexico (as i've been told first-hand) is a good spot for partying hard.. so, given Chicken's cultural etc experience, maybe customers can count on something extra, apart from 'life in a peloton' type of classes..

i can give a bling guess as for what color you get to ride in during that camp..

all in all - i'd go. on Cipo's camp too. i could also imagine e.g. ex-Saunier Duval's 'young talents' camps.. though it's rather para-medical area of things, so wrong forum i guess :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm 

Jezz, I was looking forward to his TT bike handling skills symposium on tantrums and bike tossing and the inner art of blaming others :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:52 pm 

theredmiata wrote:
...and to discuss some of his favorite stage wins.

I know how this one will go...

Chicken: Oh yeah, I remember that one, it was fantastic, what a rush, it was the day everything just fell into place. The needle slipped in so easily that day, and it was a sign that everything was going to be good. Before I knew it, I was at the finishing line struggling to lift my arms above my head to celebrate my first TdF stage win. I don't remember much, but man, I owe it all to that needle.

I almost miss Mr Search...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:58 am 

It's interesting that I always seem to see climbing camps or whatnot but never a sprinting camp, where former/current sprinters show how it's done. I think that would be pretty interesting to attend even though I have 0 sprinting ability.

Ian in SD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:32 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
theredmiata wrote:
It's interesting that I always seem to see climbing camps or whatnot but never a sprinting camp, where former/current sprinters show how it's done.
If you climb slowly, you're still climbing, but if you sprint slowly, are you really sprinting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:53 am 

HammerTime2 wrote:
If you climb slowly, you're still climbing, but if you sprint slowly, are you really sprinting?

LMAO :lol: Might have to put this one on my tomb :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:11 am 

tymon_tm wrote:
you never know, mexico (as i've been told first-hand) is a good spot for partying hard..

It's also a great place to get kiddnapped, up 76%.

".....but our amps go to eleven"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:35 am 

Camps on how to climb are stupid and a waste of money. There is no technique that can teach brute strength. Hence the doping for guys like Rasmussen.

What else could he recommend to an audience of middle-aged, bloated North American yuppies? Going on a POW diet of 150 calories a day for 3 months? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:11 pm 

Maybe Floyd will show up for some guest rides in San Diego?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:32 pm 

Not eating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm 

J-Nice wrote:
Camps on how to climb are stupid and a waste of money. There is no technique that can teach brute strength. Hence the doping for guys like Rasmussen.

What else could he recommend to an audience of middle-aged, bloated North American yuppies? Going on a POW diet of 150 calories a day for 3 months? :roll:

*****Those middle-aged bloated North American yuppies help to pay the bills! More serious racers including an overwhelming number of professionals in the US don't have two nickels two rub together, and some of them supplement their income by doing these camps. Triathlon camps are much the same, and it's good money.

I remember reading that Carmichael had lots of training camps during the Lance years, at several thousand $$$ a pop for him to personally run them, and climbing techniques were amongst the first order of the day after a big breakfast! There were usually some guest speakers - current and former professionals, etc... that shared their secrets to paying members of this camp.. This was info you would never see in fitness columns in Bicycling magazine - this was the really good stuff... :)

Sure, it was expensive, but... You got a really nice team clothing kit, water bottles, and a bunch of supplements/gels/bars, etc... along with specific techniques to improve Max VO2, threshold power, sprinting capability, and other important techniques just like Lance learned from Chris Carmichael himself. Need I mention that Chris personally coached Lance to 7 Tour victories???

Imagine having a coach like that guiding you to reach your potential as a cyclist ! Perhaps you are too heavy to battle for an overall Tour victory (I mean, look at Jan Ullrich... all of those 2nd place finishes at the Tour.. If ONLY he spoke English and could have attended a CTS camp...), but you can still improve other facets of your cycling, and maybe win a lesser race like Milan-San Remo, or Paris Roubaix, etc... :D

Billy

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm