The next crusade for WADA--Exercise in a pill.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

They already went there in the article:
"Exercise in a Pill"

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-sc ... cise.Pill/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Most drugs (>90%) that have effects in mice don't work in humans.
Resveratrol is found in red wine.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

gumgardner

by gumgardner

DocRay wrote:Most drugs (>90%) that have effects in mice don't work in humans.
Resveratrol is found in red wine.

I love red wine, buit it gives me an instant headache (I get cluster headaches). Is there a wine that lacks the ingrediant that causes these headaches? I know they isolated the chemical/ingrediant. Just wondering.

_SJ_

by _SJ_

Yeah, the ingredient is called "alcohol" - take it out of red wine and it's no more headache.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

No that's not it. I can drink all types of alcohol except red wine. There is a certain ingrediant.

Ok did some research.. Red wines are made with the skins intact. White wines have the skin removed. The ingrediant is in the skin they believe. I may need to pull out my highschool chemistry kit. :wink:

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

gumgardner wrote:No that's not it. I can drink all types of alcohol except red wine. There is a certain ingrediant.

It's likely the sulfites they use in most wines as a preservative. Try sulfite-free wines (sometimes sold as organic wines).
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

swinter

by swinter

I think the resveratol is in the skins, which is why it's found in red wine and not white.

You can buy it in capsule form at GNC or on the web for less. No headache. (No buzz either, though.)

I get mine here:

http://www.wholehealth.com/index.cfm?fu ... uct_ID=214

P.S. -- This blurb on the website cracked me up. Maybe next year, a lab mouse in yellow:

Researchers from the Institute of Genetics and Molecular and Cellular Biology in Illkirch, France reported that the red wine compound, resveratrol, doubled the athletic endurance of lab mice,
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

DocRay wrote:It's likely the sulfites they use in most wines as a preservative. Try sulfite-free wines (sometimes sold as organic wines).

Although white wines usually have more than their fair share of sulfites... (more than reds, usually, IIRC). :?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

gumgardner wrote:No that's not it. I can drink all types of alcohol except red wine. There is a certain ingrediant.

Ok did some research.. Red wines are made with the skins intact. White wines have the skin removed. The ingrediant is in the skin they believe. I may need to pull out my highschool chemistry kit. :wink:

The answer to your question is histamines. They are present in greater quantities in red wine then in white. Some whites can get you also so be careful. If you take an antihistamine before you drink red wine the problem may be solved (but you might also fall asleep).

The colour in red wine comes from contact with the skins. Almost all red grapes have white flesh inside. Whites can also be made with skin contact depending on the style desired.

I know a little bit about cycling but a whole lot about wine.

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

I was under the impression it is the tanic acid that causes headaches-

I GET THEM TOO.
This board would be MUCH nicer if everybody would just chill out.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TheFatGuy wrote:I was under the impression it is the tanic acid that causes headaches-

I GET THEM TOO.

Tannic acid is a component of the skins that adds that astringent mouth feel to red wines. I am not sure of the chemical connection between the histamines and the tannic acid other then that they both reside in the finished product. You will get just as much tannic acid eating grapes (skins) or the skin of other fruits and to my knowledge this does not cause the headaches discussed here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HTFU

by HTFU

Resveratrol is just an example, but it wasnt the subject of the study. Dont rush out and buy boxes of wine by the crate. :o It will be gibberish to most people, but here is the abstract from the journal article:

The benefits of endurance exercise on general health make it desirable to identify orally active agents that would mimic or potentiate the effects of exercise to treat metabolic diseases. Although certain natural compounds, such as reseveratrol, have endurance-enhancing activities, their exact metabolic targets remain elusive. We therefore tested the effect of pathway-specific drugs on endurance capacities of mice in a treadmill running test. We found that PPARβ/δ agonist and exercise training synergistically increase oxidative myofibers and running endurance in adult mice. Because training activates AMPK and PGC1α, we then tested whether the orally active AMPK agonist AICAR might be sufficient to overcome the exercise requirement. Unexpectedly, even in sedentary mice, 4 weeks of AICAR treatment alone induced metabolic genes and enhanced running endurance by 44%. These results demonstrate that AMPK-PPARδ pathway can be targeted by orally active drugs to enhance training adaptation or even to increase endurance without exercise.