Best way to ship a frame? UPS, Fedex, DHL?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Skunk

by Skunk

What's the most economical way to ship a frame across the country?

My box is 48"x28"x8". USPS Parcel Post quoted me at $120...

nikh

by nikh

FedEx ground should cost no more than $35 for a frame and fork.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skunk

by Skunk

Gonna head to fedex now. The online cost estimator quoted me at $55. Hopefully the box weighs less than I estimated.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Insurance (declared value) will raise the price. For instance, if $3000 declared value, then about $18 extra. Given the dimensions of the box, the weight will not matter. It's all about dimensions and declared value in your case.

Skunk

by Skunk

Yeah, It was $54. I declared $500 value.

I guess next time I'll declare $1.

marko

by marko

It's hard to claim replacement if damaged if you state it's only worth $1.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Fed ex is not just cheaper in lots of cases, they also have a FAR better record for not damaging things...

Of all the stuff I get, UPS have a damage rate probably 10 times higher than Fed Ex. DHL are usually (on bigger things) more money. But they're better than UPS.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Just a note if you ever have to ship anything overseas:

USPS is usually better than anything else for cost.

UPS has their own evil customs agents who charge through the nose with the import taxes. Way higher than local customs authorities. It's not uncommon to pay more tax than what the item is worth (for small items). You can't argue with them or they threaten to return the package to sender... They're generally horrendous to deal with.

OTOH, I've been waiting 2 months for my USPS package from the USA to Tenerife. Still not here... :evil:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Irish

by Irish

I bought a 58cm P2c on tuesday from USA(Memphis I think).Sent FedEx arrived today in Ireland cost $140.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

M_b•

by M_b•

FedEx ground is by far the cheapest option... but you might want to read the small print. I did only when it was sent to me while filing a claim.

It's absolutely absurd and states that regardless of what amount of money was paid for insurance, they will only pay out $150.oo (which they will pay out even if you simply state $1 for value) for any item that "federal express deams breakable." When asking the agent on the phone about this little expression on the final line, her response was a confirmation that yes, if it breaks, it must have been "breakable" and thus not covered by the insurance.

... and by the way, the object ended up being returned to me by fedEx in a wonky jimmy-rigged box (different than the crate sent) that also contained random ikea parts (also not a part of the original package). It was obviously their fault, but as they literally told me... i shouldn't be sending anything "breakable."

Needless to say, i now pony up and ship anything of any value UPS. At least their insurance will cover it in the case of mis-handling.