Earthquake in SoCal

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Skunk

by Skunk

Did anyone else just feel that? It shook here pretty good for a couple seconds.

I hope my bike didn't fall over :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skunk

by Skunk

5.8 in Chino Hills :(

Hope nobody got hurt!

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

Revised to 5.4. Described as a small to moderate quake.

Yeah, I felt it. I was on the side of a freeway helping my dad whose van had engine trouble. I was in my car, and the car just rocked and bounced for a good 3-4 seconds. Didn't really thought much about it and thought it was the wind generated by semi trucks passing 4' away shaking my car.

Later I found out it was an earthquake...and the first thing I thought, "I hope my bikes are alright!" LOL, kinda silly thinking about my bikes after a quake. Sheesshh.

House and bikes in Glendale are just fine.

If I lived near the epi-center, I'd be more concerned...especially if it's bike related. You know, bike falling from a bike stand (5' up) and such.
Last edited by XL_Carbon on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I was riding my Trek 760 with GEL 280 wheels on Foothill Expressway in Los Altos/Los Altos Hills during the 6.2 magnitude Morgan Hill earthquake of 1984 http://eps.berkeley.edu/~eps20/intensity/index2.php . People in areas all around where I were said they felt violent shaking. I never felt a thing and didn't find out about the earthquake until after my ride. Maybe it was the combination of the Corsa CX/Pave C.G. tires and the Reynolds 531 butted tubes, forks, and stays steel (which was real) of the Trek* which isolated the effects of the quake. :wink:

* plus the luxuriantly firm Ideale 2002 saddle

Skunk

by Skunk

I hope the "big one" doesn't hit till I move.

Glad your bikes are ok XL_Carbon :D

Mine was leaning against a couch so hopefully it didn't fall over.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

We had a very rare Quake here a few months back around 5am, first checked on my daughters then ran downstairs to check the bikes.

Hyde

by Hyde

We felt it pretty good in Alhambra. I lean my bike up against the wall at work & it was rolling back & forth pretty good. Our wood building was built in the 20's, then the main floor was raised in the 50's, instead of just building upwards(who knows why...) But it was kinda scary watching it swing & sway. I don't wanna be in there if we get a big one, I know that for sure!!! I'm glad it was mild & that no one was hurt. 8)

Skunk

by Skunk

My bike is ok!

HOORAY!

Hyde

by Hyde

Good to hear! I unintentionally left my other bike in a safe place, I'll try to do that more often :wink:

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

Skunk wrote:I hope the "big one" doesn't hit till I move.

Glad your bikes are ok XL_Carbon :D

Mine was leaning against a couch so hopefully it didn't fall over.

Thanks J,

Move from SoCal? What, are you crazy? LOL. Yeah, any sane person will want to move if they experience more than their share of earthquakes out here. I guess it's just a matter of coping and adapting. I'm planning to move to Berkeley soon and even there (in the Bay Area), earthquakes are little more prevalent. But life goes on...and we live with it.

Correction: the bike stand puts the top bike 7' up and the bottom bike 3.5'. Note to self -- remove bikes when away! :)

Mel

Sidenote: ultra light bikes fall a little easier than heavier ones...but gravity knows no mercy. ha.

Skunk

by Skunk

When are you moving to NorCal?

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

Skunk wrote:When are you moving to NorCal?

Don't know exactly when but should be before the end of the year.

BTW...if you guys haven't seen these yet...

Scary videos of bikes shaking, swaying and accessory racks falling over during yesterday's quake.

The videos below happened in the Incycle Bicycle shop in San Dimas, about 5-7 miles from the epi-center in Chino Hills.

(Scroll all the way to the bottom.)
http://incycle.com/index.cfm

rward325

by rward325

Was standing in LBS when quake hit. Bikes on racks shaking like crazy. Some stuff fell off shelves but that was about it. We were in Irivine, CA. I lived in Granada Hills (Balboa and Devonshire) in 1994 so this one never really got going like that one. Most of us just stood there to se if it got worse. Kind of bad when you are used to earthquakes... :shock:

Skunk

by Skunk

Wow, that incycle video is nuts.

Those dudes left that building fast!

ak47

by ak47

I have expierenced an earthquake once. It really is not a nice thing. You get a feeling that you can do nothing to stop it and can only wait. I hope there won't be any bigger earthquake over there in California!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com