Polar battery change: DIY?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Roel W

by Roel W

Did anybody change the empty battery of a Polar by himself?
I have a S710i. It has 4 small screws on the back which are easely to remove.
I would think it's easy to replace the battery by myself if I'm sure I don't need to recalibrate the watch or replace some rubber seals.
My memory is full, I would like to use it this week-end and I don't have time to go to the offcial service center.

LEC135

by LEC135

If you replace it yourself I think it nullifies the guarantee

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Polar is a complete pain in the ass to deal with. Their online service stinks and their service centers are even worse. Having said that I have changed the battery on my 725i several times myself. Make sure you pay attention to detail when replacing the back cap of the monitor and that the O-ring is properly seated. Mine is just as waterproof as it was when I bought it.

Note - you will need to source the battery from a Polar shop or watch store as it is a non-standard size.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

pick up a battery from this place http://www.smallbatterycompany.co.uk/ and fit it yourself. Dead simple.

Rascal

by Rascal

I've done it several times on my 720i. Just reasonable caution with the seal and there is no prob. I've had luck getting the battery from local electronics supply stores (Fry's and the like) here in Southern Calif without having to order it. Just a reminder, don't forget to reset the date & time like I did last time :oops: .
The incorrectly dated exercise files were easily moved after download however.
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

I've changed the batteries on Polar monitors for years. The older models use to always be standard sizes like CR2032 or CR2025. Newer monitors like the 720i take odd sized batteries that are monstrous in thickness compared to the older ones (CR2354). They last longer, but are hard to come by at a local store.. I just buy them mail order as others have. You will need a jewelers screwdriver set, and some patience. On some models, Polar does not make it at all easy to remove the battery hold down straps, and you almost need three hands to keep from bending stuff or losing a spring, etc..

I use a bit of dielectric grease or watch sealant silicone grease on the rubber gasket before buttoning everything up, and have never had issues with water leakage, etc...

If you have doubts about your mechanical ability, just send the thing in for battery replacement. If you open the case, the warranty is void.

Billy

xjaysonx

by xjaysonx

look, polar does not void your warranty if you change the battery. they are but make sure you seal it correctly. we recommend to all of our customers to take your polar watches to a dive shop and they will pressure test it to make sure it's sealed correctly.

drjones96

by drjones96

xjaysonx wrote:look, polar does not void your warranty if you change the battery. they are but make sure you seal it correctly. we recommend to all of our customers to take your polar watches to a dive shop and they will pressure test it to make sure it's sealed correctly.

I was thinking that someone said there was a service center in CO that would swap batteries out for you and the turn around time was actually pretty reasonable.

To hear the poster above say Polar is hard to deal with is a surprise to me. I've never had to do it before personally though.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have dealt with Polar in 4 different countries - let me rephrase that - I have TRIED to deal with Polar in 4 different countries and I always ended up in a mood that made me want to break furniture. Their customer service sucks. It is too bad that they make such a nice product, otherwise I would find another training tool. Perhaps Garmin next time when my 725 is up for replacement...

Taniwha

by Taniwha

It's as easy as pie to do. Just do as suggested and make sure the o-ring is seated correctly. Just be diligent about ensuring no seal contamination as you seat it, eg. fluff, hair, dirt. Have done it to my s710 3 times and no dramas.

However I switched to a Garmin Edge 305, now a 705 and have never looked back.
The 305 is lighter than the Polar s710 and sensor, more reliable, etc. but that's not what you asked. :lol:
In what furnace was thy brain?

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

I've had a Polar-watch for... 6 or 7 years, and always changed the batteries myself. No problems at all. Just be sure to get good batteries, not shitty ones that work for just a few months.
Hell yeah!

TMK001

by TMK001

How the f*** do I change the battery on my S725x cadence sensor!?!

All it says in the book is undo the two screws and change battery, when you pull it out, it has three little tabs that hold the battery into a holder on the circuit board. It looks very delicate and I have fat fingers...

Do I just pull the cover off from over the battery?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

Hi,
I changed the S710i monitor battery myself.
It was a piece of cake.
It took me a while to find the CR2354 battery (had to look in 3 shops).
If you have the right equipment (small philips screw driver), it can be done in less then one minute. Set the date and time again and you're done.