HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:30 pm 

racyrich wrote:
TheBugMan wrote:
That looks horrible.

The worst road rage experience I had was an angry red-neck in Puyallup, WA. pulled a gun on me then tried to run me over on the sidewalk. Some freaked out motorist saw the whole thing and called the police for me. It stated when dude got next to me revving his muscle cars engine telling me to get the F$%k off the road, so I told him to F*&k off. At the next light I pulled up next to him and said "Hello" with a shit eating grin on my face which really set him off. He reached under his seat as if to reach for a gun so I grabbed my water bottle ready to shoot back. Well, he actually had a pistol under there and pointed it at me so I took the heck off while he tried to run me over on the walk way. I'm lucky his car was lowered cause he couldn't get up to me.

So he has a car AND a gun. I'd have a gun too seeing as you're allowed.

I have a car, a gun AND a bike....do I win?
Seriously, I've thought about carrying a small one before just because of all the crazies out there. Weighs me down though. :lol:

I thought they reported that guy in Mexico was on Coke.?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm 

From foxnews.com

"A photograph taken by a city official shows the horrifying moment of impact. The force of the collision sent bicyclists and equipment high into the air and Matamoros newspaper El Mañana described children crying, women shouting for help and men trying to lynch Campos before police arrived to arrest him."

I hate to seem like I'm endorsing vigilante justice, but some deep, barbarian part of me wants to go pat the mob on the back.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:19 pm 

american citizen or not, he's going to be spending a significant amount of time in a mexican jail. from what i hear, most would prefer the death penalty.

(assuming, of course, he isn't able to bribe his way out.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:44 pm 

DC41 wrote:
From foxnews.com

"A photograph taken by a city official shows the horrifying moment of impact. The force of the collision sent bicyclists and equipment high into the air and Matamoros newspaper El Mañana described children crying, women shouting for help and men trying to lynch Campos before police arrived to arrest him."

I hate to seem like I'm endorsing vigilante justice, but some deep, barbarian part of me wants to go pat the mob on the back.

i know, it seems wrong. but if you had of been in the bunch when that happened, you're likely to have wanted to knock the driver out.

this has been happening too much lately. there was another serious road accident involving a cyclist a couple of miles from where i live at the weekend. fortunately the driver, who was in the wrong, was arrested at the scene. the cyclist remains in intensive care.

it's a frustrating battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:07 pm 

aarw wrote:

i know, it seems wrong. but if you had of been in the bunch when that happened, you're likely to have wanted to knock the driver out.

No doubt.....
Thoughts are with survivors and families

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:47 pm 

I was just discussing the other day with some folks about why cycling isn't more wide spread in the US. And why it isn't common for people here to use it as a realistic form of transportation. This is it in a nutshell. We are the most vulnerable people on the road. We are just the scumbags who are always in the way. I'm sick of it guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:10 pm 

:( :( :( shocked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:09 am 

drjones96 wrote:
I was just discussing the other day with some folks about why cycling isn't more wide spread in the US. And why it isn't common for people here to use it as a realistic form of transportation. This is it in a nutshell. We are the most vulnerable people on the road. We are just the scumbags who are always in the way. I'm sick of it guys.

Agreed - one thing thats making me furious is, at least here, the lack of media sympathy for cyclists. Pedestrian clipped by a bus - 'oh gods, it's so sad', Cyclists hit by car in mexico - 'look at this amazing photo', 50 cyclists plowed into by a car - ' an unfortunate accident' - some days to me it feels like the media is perpetuating the problem that cyclists on the road don't really have a right to be there. Theres definetly no sympathy for the cyclists killed and injured in tragic accidents.

/rant over

I almost miss Mr Search...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:22 am 

One of the Cops here in the media claimed its 46% cyclists fault, 46% Drivers fault and 8% mixed blame i.e. a dead heat! Am I just a better than normal driver??? (I don't think so)...because I find those figures hard to believe. Anyone in the industry want to comment? NZ drivers are not overly skillful, but I'd have said our riders are generally pretty skilled (on a worldwide basis compared to how crap our drivers are).
Skeptical of the %s quoted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:11 am 

rustychain wrote:
A few weeks back I had a car pass me by inches as I approached a stop sign. I had been doing 25 mph (the speed limit on that road) and do to poor road conditions I was riding about six feet from the edge. This is totaly legal were I live. The car when passing due to the narrow lane crossed a double yellow line, swerved in front of me and it the brakes hard. I could also hear a car behind me and had no option other then to come around the car on the drivers side. I was mad and was going to give the driver some suggestions but when I looked I saw it was an old lady. Then I made the mistake of doing a rolling stop (no traffic crossing at this time). Well that car that was behind me turned out to be a policeman and of that southern American rural type that is well known. He came out of his car swearing at me and all cyclists for that matter. It was to the point I was getting worried for my safety. As I had in fact done wrong by failing to come to a complete stop I did not argue with him even as he said I had no right to the road and he took my license and wrote me a ticket. I then asked if I could respectfull ask a question. I asked why he did not ticket the other driver for failure failure to keep the required 2 feet while passing, failure to fully pass before moving in front of me, crossing a double yellow line. In my state a charge of reckless driving could be prosicuted for the incedent. He infomed me that he rode motercycles so he understod my frustration but I should know that folks don't like cyclist and that seemed to justify his failure to apply the law in this case.
My point in this ramble is IMO we are on our own on the roads. Even in a race we must be looking out. In this tragic case I'm guessing it still would not have helped much but we have no other option. Every day, every single day I ride on the roads I get passed to close/cut off/swerved at and treated as if my life did not matter to the cars right to get to were they are going 10 seconds sooner. I have asked my representitive to pressue our division of motor vehicles to include more saftey information and legal requirments regarding cyclist be included in the driving tests. I have asked that training be givin to police regarding the laws to my local police. I don't expect any results soon but we can all work to put pressure on cars to follow the law. Perhaps that can save a few lives.
Please use more paragraphs :idea:.

Yes most cops are jerks towards cyclists. I had a cop get on his loud speaker and tell my to move out of the way of traffic. That was on county road with basically NO traffic and I was riding the white line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:22 am 

I really can't imagine having to ride under those circustances that some (US and AUS) of you guys have to put up with. :unbelievable:
At least here if someone hits you it is because they don't see you (or their brain does not get the stimulation from their eyes) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 pm 

from what you guys say, i figured i better postpone my planned cycling trip to US..

the problem is - those who can't position themselves in a given situation, will never ever understand it

hardly any politician/major/city council member/clerk/policeman etc rides a bike. heck, they don't seem to be intrested in any sporting activities. remember Sarkozy's photo in 'full cycling mode' on a bike? my (not cycling) colleagues laughed, as it was some kind of embarassement to ride a bike and 'dress in those faggy clothes'. if we assume the majority of society don't do anything sport-related (besides drinking beer in front of their tv), then go figure what's the general attitude towards cyclists, runners, nordic skiers or whoever else.

it's the cultural thing probably, as i can whitness more and more people on their bikes here in PL. building bike paths (although paved thus not very suitable for us, road cyclists) appears to be kinda sorta going forward, but it's still the police who are supposed to guard the safety on the roads.

i had an accident some 3 years ago, where i could easily get killed or at least nicely smashed, and the fellow lady who caused it got a ticked for ~80euro... that's what you can get here for breaking a speed limit by 10kmh :roll:

another story is a lack of driving skills and imagination - sometimes i get horned cause smbd is so confused how to pass me by or to take a turn after me, that they seem to wish i just disappear to ease their brain tension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:02 pm 
Administrator

the story:

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/130981/ ... rhaal.html

Follow me on twitter. I try to be interesting ;)
On Facebook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:01 pm 

theremery wrote:
One of the Cops here in the media claimed its 46% cyclists fault, 46% Drivers fault and 8% mixed blame i.e. a dead heat! Am I just a better than normal driver??? (I don't think so)...because I find those figures hard to believe. Anyone in the industry want to comment? NZ drivers are not overly skillful, but I'd have said our riders are generally pretty skilled (on a worldwide basis compared to how crap our drivers are).
Skeptical of the %s quoted!

57.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:11 pm 

Well just be patient, with rising fuel prices its gunna be a lot harder for those big cars to be on the road at $2.00 a litre. And climbing.

Soon we'll be complaining about all these other slow bikes on the road.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:11 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next