downhill position?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xavier lord

by xavier lord

wich is the fastest downhill position??

pictures please

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

This would be the safer, faster position:

hands near in the middle of the bars, elbows in, chin near stem, knees in toward top tube, feet near 3 and 9 o'clock.

Of course you would need to switch the position when coming into a turn.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

stella-azzurra wrote:This would be the safer, faster position:

hands near in the middle of the bars, elbows in, chin near stem, knees in toward top tube, feet near 3 and 9 o'clock.

Of course you would need to switch the position when coming into a turn.

I agree, although overall, i would be in the drops all the time so i wouldn't need to change position for braking. I also can get wayyyyyy lower in the drops.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

it's not only about how low you can go, but also about reducing frontal area, which is nice in stella-azzura's position. with a bit of practice, you can easily change hands from the middle of the bar to the drops while keeping the exact same position with your upper body and head. for more aerodynamics you can sit on your toptube for longer parts between corners. looking down would be even more aerodynamic with a normal road helmet, but that's dangerous as hell and that's just for races when you know that the roads are free from other traffic(but then again this "horrific crash-thread"shows that you never know...)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Position of the body is one thing, position of the stem and bars is another that enhances the first - I have found and most will agree that the front end of the bike is much more stable when descending at speed when the stem is set low - it gets your center of gravity down and puts some extra weight over the front wheel.

frd

by frd

Have you seen Ignatiev in stage 17. of this year's Giro? That was a fast position (but very dangerous!).
He was basically "seating" 1 cm above the rear wheel, a little pothole and... :shock:

mxfox

by mxfox

Mine, its fast, no one can stay with me when I assume the position, on my local roads I can corner also.
Ride hard, you can rest when you die!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mxfox997

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

frenk wrote:Have you seen Ignatiev in stage 17. of this year's Giro? That was a fast position (but very dangerous!).
He was basically "seating" 1 cm above the rear wheel, a little pothole and... :shock:

.and them it's Miss Ignatiev. RAI was warning people not to try this.
If you try this, wear a CF jock cup. STARBIKE must sell them.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

=4cranks

by =4cranks

The fastest way to the ER
Equality for Cranks.

swinter

by swinter

stella-azzurra wrote: . . . feet near 3 and 9 o'clock.

There's another thread about this somewhere, but I think the windtunnel testing said 10 and 4 was better (or is it 2 and 8?).
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Hyde

by Hyde

Grab as much weight as you can at the top of the hill :wink: My buddy outweighs me by 15lbs. I really have to work to keep up with him on a good descent, no matter what position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com