HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Windy Riding :(
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:10 pm 

Well...I'm a Kansan now. Last time I rode seriously I was a Texan. I thought it was windy in Texas but now I think I was just being silly.

So I was just tooling around on the bike a few days ago and had a pretty strong wind gust from about 2 o'clock. I was leaning all sideways and it practically blew me into the on-coming lane. :scared: I thought I was a goner for sure.

At the time I had some medium depth rims (35mm) and was wearing a backpack. It just felt like the wind was literally trying to grab me and pull my ass off of my bike. I could also feel the side load on my wheels. Anybody have any good riding techniques for dealing with really strong gusty wind? Do you lean into it? Is there anything in particular you should do with your position? Would it be more advisable to use shallow depth wheels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 pm 

had similar experiences few times.. i always try to get as low as i can, it helps to maintain stability when your gravity center is closer to the ground. and leaning towards the wind if it blows from sideways (just trying to put more wieght on one side, kinda Mancebo way ;)
normally i ride on 40mm rims and strong blows are something you can't fool with on such wheels..

Post subject:
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:57 pm 

Glad you're ok though mate, its pretty scary to be blown about in a big way like that, maybe pick up a box section for the front for really windy days?
I found the secret is to try to keep calm and low, easy to say I know.
I did the GS stella weekend TT here a few years ago and its always windy with big hedges on either side of the road, when you go past a farmers gate you end up out on the wrong side of the road!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:58 pm 

welcome to the central US. Wind, Tornados, and Humidity

I'm just south of you in the "3rd windiest city" in the US. Daily average is at least 15mph. I think NOAA says 14.7 or something. OKC was just voted one of the "Top 10 Places to Never Visit" in the world becuase of the wind and weather. I couldn't agree more.......................

You'll start planning your rides based on the wind and you'll get real friendly with NOAA weather prediction chart. It's the chart that will tell you, by hour, which direction the wind is coming from and how hard. During the summer when you have those cloudless HP days you can get sustained winds of 30mph with gusts to 45-50mph. The nice thing is that if the wind is from the south it'll be warm and if it's from the north............. it won't be.

You get used to the wind. I ride deep section wheels almost all the time and don't have problems. You won't be taking your hands off the bars anymore :lol:.

Starnut

BB30.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:16 am 

I weigh 190 lb. That is the key. I have been on a number of club rides with cross/head winds so strong that unless the heaviest guys (me) were on the front corner, the group was going no where - the wind was literally causing riders to bump each other. It's hilarious, all you have to be is huge and the wind is a non issue. Although I admit that over 40 mph even I have to hang on real tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:33 am 

When I ride at the beach there is a strong steady cross wind. Most often I end up leaning into it. Gusty winds that you get around mtns are more of a problem as when I suddenly found myself in the next lane after an approx 30 mph gust hit me as I was riding at speed. I found Zipp 303's to be very good in a cross wind however (until they exploded in a ball of blue flame as "I was just riding along"). :wink:
Try and think of it as crit training, you get pushed and shoved all the time in a crit don't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:56 am 

Stick with your deep wheels - the more you ride them the better you will get in handling them in the wind. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:05 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Lay off the 68 mm rims. And it's Kansas - what do you expect - didn't you ever watch the Wizard of Oz?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:55 pm 

After riding in Oklahoma for a few years and Iowa now I know wind. It sucks for small guys like said before. I feel a lot better when riding in the drops than anyway else. I think the wheels are a personal choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:01 pm 

Mr.Gib wrote:
I weigh 190 lb. That is the key. I have been on a number of club rides with cross/head winds so strong that unless the heaviest guys (me) were on the front corner, the group was going no where - the wind was literally causing riders to bump each other. It's hilarious, all you have to be is huge and the wind is a non issue. Although I admit that over 40 mph even I have to hang on real tight.

:hmm: My wife was right. I guess I do need to put on some weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:25 pm 

HammerTime2 wrote:
Lay off the 68 mm rims. And it's Kansas - what do you expect - didn't you ever watch the Wizard of Oz?

It's funny you mention The Wizard of Oz. People around here seem to have a fixation with that stuff. They collect figurines and other garb. I went to view a house to buy and the lady had her whole house done up in the stuff. There was something in every room related to the Wizard of Oz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:16 pm 

drjones96 wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:

It's funny you mention The Wizard of Oz. People around here seem to have a fixation with that stuff. They collect figurines and other garb. I went to view a house to buy and the lady had her whole house done up in the stuff. There was something in every room related to the Wizard of Oz.

I'd much perfer that than the University of Oklahoma worship that goes on around here. I've never been somewhere that has such an obsession with a college team........................ not even Nebraska.

Starnut

BB30.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:58 pm 

I had to deal with similar stuff in Texas. There were Texas A&M, University of Texas, and Oklahoma U grads all around me and they all were super proud of where they came from. I just wanted to gag.

Now I'm in Kansas and everybody is very proud of the big Jayhawks win in the NCAA finals. At least they aren't as obsessive as those listed above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:51 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Yes, if you didn't go to a school with good academics, at least you can brag about the football or basketball team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:03 am 

Or the NCAA violations...

Here are some tips to riding in the wind.

-Keep your head down
-Find someone bigger than you to draft
-Don't relax, you never know when the next 40 mph gust is coming
-Lean into cross winds, you pretty much do this naturally or you fall over

Post subject:
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:03 am 

Go to page 1, 2  Next