HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:15 am 
Formerly known as PezTech

lite pete wrote:
No car, no kids and now no partner well something generally gives in a cyclist life if it isn’t the money it’s the time spent trawling the internet and then there is the actual riding,

Looking back I could of spent less and ridden not quite as often but as Sarah said after she left, I wouldn’t be the same person.

In all fairness we get along now as well as we did before I became an addict,

So I think it’s down to how you prioritise your life and money,

Mortgage and bills come first then food then bikes and nothing really matters after that and to be honest there’s not a lot left either to spend on fast cars and a loose women,

My only other passion in life is Oliver my GSD he has illness that can’t be cured and returns every couple of years so with no pet insurance it’s a £1000 bill so as this year bike purchases become second on the list

Hang in bro.

I just lost my Chow... Liver cancer came back. 12 happy insanely expensive years and I wouldn't have spent the money any other way :wink:

Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:15 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:11 am 

DocRay wrote:
From what I infer in your story, you're a fry cook manager at McDonalds.

always amazing to see pride in being second rate.

Whats wrong with being a fry cook manager at McDonalds? Thats precisely how I pay for my WW experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:41 am 

Screwed off for 21 years. Became a pilot. Now screw off with slightly nicer toys.

Seriously, it's all about priorities. Whatever is important to you is where the money goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:36 pm 

Well I got suckered into doing a PhD. It took 5 rather miserable years to finish that. And so here's my story:

Soon after that, I saw a special opportunity here on the island of Tenerife (yeah I fell in love with a local girl too :oops: ). I now rent out 20-something quality road & MTBs for cyclists who want to train on the slopes of Mt Teide.

So that's what I do for a living. I save money by riding Deore / X7 equipment. I only have one expensive bike, and that was bought way back in 2000. I've put a few upgrades on it here and there, and trickled a few parts down onto the rental bikes.

The idea of having nice bikes for me was always because they last longer... what helps is that I don't even like the look of Parlees, lightweights & ax components. I wouldn't buy them if they were 20% of the cost. So that certainly helps. Good post by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:46 am 

I dumb lucked my way into a good industry for marketing. Very fortunate I am. Hard work along the way? Sure. Some dumb luck? Definitely!

I agree with a previous poster who wrote that buying WW parts slowly makes it a bit more reasonable (while I often wish I'd have spent all that money over the years on a single high zoot rig, I wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger on it IF I even had that much $ all in one place). At this point, I've only got two hobbies to funnel my discretionary income towards which makes it easier than some of you who have fourteen. Plus, my wife has been very understanding in her sort of cynical way.

That being said, my wife and I are expecting our first child later this year. Very excited and I'm more than willing to put my hobby expenditures on hold (temporarily that is!).

My ~9.3kg / ~20.5lb Scale 29 Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:31 pm 

lite pete wrote:

My only other passion in life is Oliver my GSD he has illness that can’t be cured and returns every couple of years so with no pet insurance it’s a £1000 bill so as this year bike purchases become second on the list

GSD > bikes every time. My shep costs me a bundle, and I'd sell all my bike stuff if I needed to cover her costs. Take care of your pup.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:30 pm 

prendrefeu wrote:
So I'm reading a thread about Shamals vs. Boras vs. ZIPPs. Then there's a thread on even more pricey, unique stuff... and I look at my bank account, which is o.k. but not amazing, and I'm wondering:

What do you people do for a living???? I realize some of you may get a lot of this stuff through being a product tester, or owning a bike shop, or even being on a team...

But the rest of you?

Respond, discuss - tell me what I need to be doing for a living in order to be able to afford all of these wonderful things...

We all are millionaires :oops:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5