How can you afford all of these toys & goodies?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

surftel wrote:Graduated high school with a c- average. Told by my guidance counselor and my parents that pumping gas was in my future. Went to a junior college, then a 4 year, spent 7 years pursuing a worthless Sociology degree because it was the easiest possible. Took 7 years because I was aways training, Traveling, Racing.

Took the work ethic and focus I learned from sports and applied it to business, now I employee a bunch of A+ students who work hard, don't ask questions and make me, the lazy stupid one, lots of money. Oh, and I have a hot, smart, wife.

That's a good story.. :)

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

surftel wrote:Graduated high school with a c- average. Told by my guidance counselor and my parents that pumping gas was in my future. Went to a junior college, then a 4 year, spent 7 years pursuing a worthless Sociology degree because it was the easiest possible. Took 7 years because I was aways training, Traveling, Racing.

Took the work ethic and focus I learned from sports and applied it to business, now I employee a bunch of A+ students who work hard, don't ask questions and make me, the lazy stupid one, lots of money. Oh, and I have a hot, smart, wife.

Isn't imagination great?
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

surftel

by surftel

DocRay wrote:

Isn't imagination great?

You must be an A student, want a job?

:D

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

From what I infer in your story, you're a fry cook manager at McDonalds.

always amazing to see pride in being second rate.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Doc, you need to concentrate...

Don't fixate on the job, question the "hot wife" thing until he posts a pic :wink:

Personally I make an OK living. I worked a lot to get in a good spot and now work but also get to play a little too.

This thread is just too damn general...

We got the high horse folks and the low road who point at the high horse folks and some in between...

Rather than taking a piss on someone not in my demographic...

I'll say I spend what I can on a sport I love right up till i think I'm being stupid. Then I buy one more thing... :roll:

What I might call money well spent might be what someone else calls stupid. And that other person might make more or less money than me... Wise has to do with perception way more than income.

Pretty much everyone here is a little over the top with bike stuff. No way you find weight weenies and spend time on forums and not be well beyond what most people would consider wise in your spending.

The rest of the world outside the sport thinks a price range for bikes maxes out at what most folks here pay for a wheel set (er wheel) and they think every single one of us here is a jackass...

Everyone here spends what they can...

While we might think more of ourselves than the next guy or want to comment based on what someone else rides... I would bet theirs damn little difference in the love of the game between anyone that comes in here...

STARNUT

by STARNUT

I have post grad degrees in Biz and Economics. Spent a stint at the BEA in WaShInGtOn and wanted to shoot my self. Taught some at a 4 year and wanted to strangle my students and picked up and the wife and I moved to Colorado for 4 years.

Now I run a bike shop :D and am putting wifey through Dental School :thumbup: . I think I can handle being "mr.mom" when she's done.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Star , your story reminds me of this:

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?.

surftel

by surftel

DocRay wrote:From what I infer in your story, you're a fry cook manager at McDonalds.

why the anger? Are you just tired from riding the torn up roads of Hamilton and decided to point some of the venom my way? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Not a fry cook, it is a true story.

lite pete

by lite pete

No car, no kids and now no partner well something generally gives in a cyclist life if it isn’t the money it’s the time spent trawling the internet and then there is the actual riding,

Looking back I could of spent less and ridden not quite as often but as Sarah said after she left, I wouldn’t be the same person.

In all fairness we get along now as well as we did before I became an addict,

So I think it’s down to how you prioritise your life and money,

Mortgage and bills come first then food then bikes and nothing really matters after that and to be honest there’s not a lot left either to spend on fast cars and a loose women,

My only other passion in life is Oliver my GSD he has illness that can’t be cured and returns every couple of years so with no pet insurance it’s a £1000 bill so as this year bike purchases become second on the list

KB

by KB

surftel wrote:
DocRay wrote:From what I infer in your story, you're a fry cook manager at McDonalds.

why the anger? Are you just tired from riding the torn up roads of Hamilton and decided to point some of the venom my way? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Not a fry cook, it is a true story.

Yes, but it's a story most don't want to here. You've fallen for the trap set by Leloby. What comes across is bragging and it don't look too cool on paper despite the wealth!!!

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

By only spending on stuff I need and being lucky enough to have a bunch of people believing that I will win races.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves a little less seriously.

Rasmus
Administrator

by Rasmus

By working. my ass. off.

(Periods added solely for the purpose of dramatization. Thank you. Be sure to tip your waitress.)

STARNUT

by STARNUT

DocRay wrote:Star , your story reminds me of this:

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

what makes you think I'm a hillbilly?

starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

pritchet74

by pritchet74

STARNUT wrote:
DocRay wrote:Star , your story reminds me of ..... blah, blah, blah

what makes you think I'm a hillbilly?

starnut

Perhaps Doc just likes hillbillies, eh? :wink:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

lite pete wrote:No car, no kids and now no partner well something generally gives in a cyclist life if it isn’t the money it’s the time spent trawling the internet and then there is the actual riding,

Looking back I could of spent less and ridden not quite as often but as Sarah said after she left, I wouldn’t be the same person.

In all fairness we get along now as well as we did before I became an addict,

So I think it’s down to how you prioritise your life and money,

Mortgage and bills come first then food then bikes and nothing really matters after that and to be honest there’s not a lot left either to spend on fast cars and a loose women,

My only other passion in life is Oliver my GSD he has illness that can’t be cured and returns every couple of years so with no pet insurance it’s a £1000 bill so as this year bike purchases become second on the list

Hang in bro.

I just lost my Chow... Liver cancer came back. 12 happy insanely expensive years and I wouldn't have spent the money any other way :wink: