Petacchi suspended until...?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

CAS decided Petacchi has to be squalified for 1 year, for last year value during Giro.

Then Gazzetta reported he can return to racing on August 31 so...kinda confusing!

Anyway, the important thing is that he has been suspended. Now I wonder why Piepoli can still ride..

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

This whole malarkey is such bullsh*t. The CAS conceded that the didn't intentionally take too much salbutamol and that he gained no benefit from it since he took it after the stage finished, yet he still gets banned!!!

Compare this to civil law where premeditation and intent get you a murder conviction and the same offence without intent or premeditation gets you the lesser sentence of manslaughter.

There's no difference in the eyes of these clowns!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NS

by NS

They took 2 months off because he has already served a 2 month suspension

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

The oficial ban ran from September 1st 2007 - Aug 31st 2008.

2 months were knocked off for not riding. So the ban runs from Nov - Aug 31st.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

.....and his winnings will go to..................Di Luca??? Are you kidding?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... may07news2
MyGiant! MyScalpel!
".....but our amps go to eleven"

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

CaptainWilier wrote:.....and his winnings will go to..................Di Luca??? Are you kidding?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... may07news2

LOL! The world rotates funny that way.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

WTF, they will take away his Giro standing from 07, but Basso is still a Giro 'winner'.

Salbutamol (Ventolin) is a mild stimulant. I use it. Gives you the effect of a double expresso, but it is essential for people with exercise-induced bronchitis.

Clearly, Petacchi has pissed someone off and politics have come into play.

As for DiLuca, you have to go FAR down the finishing order in Italian cycling to find the first clean rider.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

DocRay wrote:Salbutamol (Ventolin) is a mild stimulant. I use it. Gives you the effect of a double expresso.

That explains your moon swings. JK, hehe

It's all chimpanzee politics right now in the bike world. So we'll be seeing the Tour of Gombe National Park with J. Goodall as the race marshal.

lincoln

by lincoln

It's ridiculous, he barely went over his allowance. It's pretty easy to do with ventolin...

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

DocRay wrote:WTF, they will take away his Giro standing from 07, but Basso is still a Giro 'winner'.

Doc, why do you try to confuse things here?

you know well Basso didn't literally get caught doping (that is: he would pass all the tests - he's admitted to 'smth' though, upon an investigetion and several strong allegations but it was incoherent with any specific race or period of time) while Petacchin simply failed his test..

whether Petacchi's 1-year suspension is a good idea given the circumstances, i strongly doubt.. especially if they admited that he hasn't benefited from this sabutamol-thing a single bit..

Hubert

by Hubert

Chalk up another fiasco to make pro cycling's governance look like an utter joke.

He did not gain any benefit, he did not "overdose" intentionally and the ruling noted as much, yet his winning (cash and placings) get stripped and he gets some pseudo-suspension on what amounts to nothing?

Cycling's managements needs to get their head out of the asses.
Turn down the suck knob.

Skunk

by Skunk

Anyone else think Petacchi is basically done in pro cycling now?

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Skunk wrote:Anyone else think Petacchi is basically done in pro cycling now?

yup..

i fear he won't be able to return for his head won't allow it. he seemed to me kinda devastated when having all those injury issues, which weren't even half as serious as being suspended. he doesn't look like having the strenght within to fight with all the odds he's facing

but for the good of cycling and for whatever justice i hope i'm totally wrong about him

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com