HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:47 am 

icculus wrote:
thanks Maverick, thats pretty crazy

Sorry if I didnt report the source; I heard it on sunday during last Liegi and it was reported by italian tv speaker.

Actually cyclingnews.com report the opposite.

Going on topic, cyclingnews report also that Henninger Tour leave at home Liquigas cause they didn't sign the Code of Ethics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:23 pm 

But Basso is suspended for 4 years in UCI-ProTour races as far as i know. Well in fact pro-cycling is a house of whores, who knows?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:58 pm 

Quinziato on Basso:
http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?option ... cle&id=158

2006 Specialized S-Works E5 Aerotec - Stolen
1995 Pinarello Stelvio (Fixed Gear)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:06 pm 

MaaseyRacer wrote:

Seems like he respects him but not sweet words either.

OT: if Im not wrong Quinziato is writing as journalist for a Spanish newspaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:21 pm 

Basso on Cannondale

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanbasso/ ... 1/sizes/o/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:03 pm 

tymon_tm wrote:
2002SaecoReplica wrote:
It's not like being a part of the protour was guaranteeing anything these days.

what does?
can someone please explain who supervises what here? why do riders, who dope with predictable permition/help/acknowledgement/whatever of their teams, and get a 2-year from UCI, face another yet longer ban set by.. the very same teams!...?
what'd UCI (or higher instance) say if a cyclist after doing his time was forced to remain unemployed?
another thing - has this 'gentlemens agreement' it's reflection in cyclists' employment contracts? if not, it sounds like some rules are broken here

Missed this one before and you make some good points. It has all the hallmarks of a restraint of trade case. Once someone has served the sentence then they should be allowed to compete without this hanging over their heads. However, the companies employing them can employ who they want.

As for who supervises what. Well, Amadeus was right that Verbruggen was a disaster for the UCI. It allowed the cheating to carry on unfettered. Unfortunately, ASO have basically taken their place and they are a bunch of bully boys and they will become more powerful. That would be OK if they had the same rules for everyone: unfortunately they don't. They cherry pick who they allow to ride their races. Their 'portfolio' is steadily growing. What was once just the Tour now encompasses Paris - Roubaix, Criterium International, L-B-L, Paris-Nice, et al.

So, who gets invited to their races depends on the whim of ASO management and I don't think that's good for the sport. If they had the same criteria for everyone, then hardly any of the teams would qualify, but they seem to have a particular hard-on for Astana.

Like Pez, I'm against doping, but the playing field has to be fair and what's going on in the sport now with these pissing contests doesn't do anyone any favours. Maybe ASO should make it French riders only then the cock can crow again and bring back warm feelings of Anquetil and Hinault bashing the rest into submission. Yes, I know about Cofidis, but they had to be seen to be acting even handedly. Cynical bastards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 pm 

The TDF can't claim to be the best or most important race if arguably the worlds best tour rider and one of the best teams around, one which also has additional riders capable also being on the podium are not allowed to compete.

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:52 am 

geraldatwork wrote:
The TDF can't claim to be the best or most important race if arguably the worlds best tour rider and one of the best teams around, one which also has additional riders capable also being on the podium are not allowed to compete.

Er. Watch them do it.

The Tour is the Tour. It survived Festina. It survived Puerto. It survived Landis. It will outlast Astana, Liquigas and all their works. Regardless of your view of the merits of ASO's decisions regarding this year's Tour, it will take many years of neglect before the Tour loses its lustre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 am 

people are not that dumb.. le tour is getting more and more boring, just as a race itself. even LA's retirement didn't actually heat things up as much as expected. except for last year's Condador vs. Rasmussen, there was hardly any battle on the ascents/descents/straights..

tour will loose it's monumentality cause there's now show going on. many loooong flat stages, with easy flat finishes, where escape always gets caught. bull$hit TTT rules. crazy polka dot grading scale which makes winning one hilly stage enough to win the competition. less and less mountain top finishes. race organizers who put themselves above the whole thing playing gods. inviting (french) teams that you don't even notice they take part in the race.. etc

take it and compare to the last 2-3 Giros.. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 am 

People are exactly that dumb. Where I live, thousands stay up late to watch the Tour stages live on TV. They couldn't watch the Giro live if they wanted to, because it is not telecast. The Tour is simply bigger - like the Olympics, it is an event larger than the sum of its parts - it is worth watching simply because it is the Tour, not because every (or any) stage is worth watching as a race. Here, only cycling fans understand the Giro. Everyone understands the Tour.

That is why it will take a long time for the Tour to suffer, regardless of how it is run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:30 pm 

don't wanna argue with you, but from what i reckon, very few people (excl. cyclists) are able to stand 2-to-5-hour tv broadcast from a cycling race. my guess is, whoever watches it, is into cycling enough to 'understand' what's going on on the screen and gets the additional context.

i agree though that le tour is widely recognized and even written and talked about in media that usually don't give a damn about cycling (but doping..).

i suppose that cycling fans are smart enough to know what interests them more (i do) and what to watch. that said i'm aware that many cool races are unable to be seen on tv, thus some of us must take just what's been 'kindly' given to them.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3