Vittoria Unique road shoes??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The planet where Vittorias were tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

HammerTime2 wrote:The planet where Vittorias were tires.

Obviously not on this planet...

Only playing with ya, lol. :wink:

shooman

by shooman

Sorry to bring up an old thread but need a little help.
Been looking around for some of these for a while and found some on Planet X's website -
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SHV ... cling-shoe
They quote the weight as 295g per shoe!
Thinking they made a mistake, I emailed them and they replied thus:

'I've weighed a size 42 shoe and true enough the weight of 294g is correct.
Not sure if the other sites could be correct at 195?'

I'm a little confused, are these a different shoe?
Thanks,
David

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I'm sporting Vittorias Circa 1990.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

shooman wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread but need a little help.
Been looking around for some of these for a while and found some on Planet X's website -
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SHV ... cling-shoe
They quote the weight as 295g per shoe!
Thinking they made a mistake, I emailed them and they replied thus:

'I've weighed a size 42 shoe and true enough the weight of 294g is correct.
Not sure if the other sites could be correct at 195?'

I'm a little confused, are these a different shoe?
Thanks,
David

The correct weight for a size 41 without the insole is approximately 195g. I own a pair and can only say that they're absolutely fine shoes for the money.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

micky

by micky

Mine in size 43 without insoles were roughly 245gramms for each.

shooman

by shooman

So is the conclusion that Planet X are selling different shoes - noone seems to be able to clarify this?
Possibly a variant of Vittoria Uniques?
I really don't want to spend this money for a 200g weight penalty so maybe the Vittorias aren't for me.

micky

by micky

I have the 30° anniversary model in white, and it has a different carbon sole than that.

kgt

by kgt

shooman wrote:So is the conclusion that Planet X are selling different shoes - noone seems to be able to clarify this?
Possibly a variant of Vittoria Uniques? I really don't want to spend this money for a 200g weight penalty so maybe the Vittorias aren't for me.

It is obviously a 2006 (anniversary) model with the older sole. Still a nice shoe for the price IMHO.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2 ... 6/shoes033

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

micky wrote:I have the 30° anniversary model in white, and it has a different carbon sole than that.

Same here but in the black version. What Planet-X offers is the older version in gold edition which is a 100g per shoe heavier.
The full carbon sole version is much better IMO and does not cost all that much more.
It is also available in bling-bling gold as well. 8) :lol:

OTOH, if you do not mind the weight, the Hora does away with the straps and offers a Boa like system plus a Sidi style closing system. It also offers better heel support should you need it.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

kgt

by kgt

fdegrove wrote: OTOH, if you do not mind the weight, the Hora does away with the straps and offers a Boa like system plus a Sidi style closing system. It also offers better heel support should you need it.

+1 I have Hora and they're great shoes.

Actually Vittoria invented the rotor closing system in 1998

vittoriashoes
in the industry

by vittoriashoes

I am sorry for coming to this topic/thread late, but Vittoria Shoes has always made their own shoes in Biella. In fact, they are all still 100% made in Italy. All the way down to the buckles we use.

Vittoria Cycling Shoes is in fact the original Vittoria name. The tire company was started before we were back in the 60's. BUT, two weeks after Vittoria Shoes was founded by Celestino Vercelli, the tire company changed their name to Vittoria Tires.

Yep, only two weeks between us. But we are actually the original.

Also, someone mentioned that we had the first cable closure in 1998. On this point, there are a couple of issues. Puma is the original maker of a cable tension closure in 1991. In April of 1992 we filed for a patent in Italy for the user of a cable tension closure. While Sidi claims they had the first, their application is in June 1993. So over a year after ours.

With regards to our Unique model shoes, the original model when introduced in 2006-yes, we had the first shoes under 200 grams-it used our older Lightech model carbon sole. The shoe weight was 390 grams for a pair of size 42 with innersoles. The model currently uses a lighter weight sole, but we stiffened the upper with a heavier material. So the weight of a pair of 42 is 410 grams. Just grabbed them and weighed them.

We do offer other models of shoes of course including the Hora, our flagship shoe with a cable tension closure. All of our shoes at still 100% Made in Italy. Not made in Romania or China or whereever and then finished in Italy. It is still a family owned and run company with the founder Celestino even stepping in and making shoes if necessary.

All of our shoes are available in a men's or women's last. All are available in 4 different widths, 2 different volumes and 31 lengths. Including a multi length option for people with two different length feet. And we offer a Lifetime Warranty on our shoes against defects.

We are incredibly Proud to be 100% Made in Italy and still family owned. We have our US Office located in the Midwest that has a great stock of shoes and more arriving all the time. We have had some tremendous growth over the last year with reviews and features on Pez, Bikeradar, Bikerumor, Dirtarag, bIcycle Times, Road Bike Action, Velo and many many others. We update regularly on Facebook- Vittoria Cycling Shoes, and on Twitter- @Vittoriashoes.

We also sponsor many pro riders and teams including Dan Martin, Fumy Beppu, Maxime Bouet, the Chipotle/Garmin Developement Team, Team Vanderkitten and others.

Please left me know if you have any questions i can answer. I am more than happy to help.

kgt

by kgt

Thanks for the info!
I personally think you really deserve credit for trying to keep production at home and keep the prices low.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vittoriashoes
in the industry

by vittoriashoes

KGT,

Thanks for the comment. Actually, it has been very hard to do that, keep the pricing down, the quality up and keep it all, in Italy. We get calls for making a 75 or 90 dollar retail shoe all the time. But then we would have to move that production somewhere else. This would stop us from making the product WE want and of course would stop us from being able to make the shoes you need. With keeping everything in Italy, we can make the high and low volume options, the 4 different widths, every single model available in a womens not just a men's and of course the multi length option. And of course, we can literally tell customers, HEY, your shoes, the founder of the company made them! Not sure you can say that other than a very small group of companies. And personally, I love that and know our customers do also.

Speaking of making things in Italy, if you have ever seen the tv show, How It's Made, they contacted us BECAUSE of the fact we make everything in Italy and are going to do a segment on Vittoria. I will let people know more as the air date approaches.

Thanks for the time, loving the shoes and let me know if you have any questions.