Paris Nice....poor Popo

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sfo423

by sfo423

Supposed to be protected rider for PN, which means Evans works with/for him, not against him by attacking him. Evans ever present lack of class was also shown on his suck-wheel-to-the-line-then-pip-for-win display.

Somewhere Horner smiles...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zeed

by Zeed

This should probably be in cycle chat.

AND I agree with the wheel-sucking statement, but Evans didn't attack, he was pacemaking and PoPo couldn't hack it. If he can't keep up he isn't in great form and the team should work for whoever is in better form. i don't personally like Evans as a rider, but the team's tactics were at least somewhat vindicated considering PoPo probably would not have been able to win the race if he wasn't able to keep up with his own teammates tempo.

Thats just my opinion though...

KB

by KB

deleted
Last edited by KB on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfo423

by sfo423

Stage racing rule #1; don't leave your leader isolated.

SFcyclist

by SFcyclist

Evans covered Gesink when he attacked with 3.2 km to go. Since he was working for Popo he didn't pull with Gesink. That just makes tactical sense.

I guess Evans could have tried to pace Popo for the last 3.2 km but Popo had company and could probably take care of himself for this short distance. Additionally Evans was lucky since he knew he wouldn't have to work with Gesink and would therefore get the stage win. If I was the team director, or Popo for that matter, I would have told Evans to go with the move and try to get the stage. Stage wins always make the sponsor happy, but who knows if Popo is strong enough for the overall.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Gesink was riding for the overall, Evans for the stage. Hence the classic finish.

sfo423

by sfo423

From the race report I read:

Gesink dropped the hammer with 5km to go to ruin the overall chances for Luís León Sánchez (Caisse d’Epargne). The acceleration drew out Frank Schleck (CSC), Evans, Popovych, Rebellin and Nocentini. The latter two dropped on ramps as steep as 10 percent as Voigt latched on to the group to help Schleck as much as possible with about 4km to go.

Evans then took a dig that sent Popovych into crisis.

I hope Popo remembers Evans version of "teamwork" in July.

SFcyclist

by SFcyclist

Evans wasn't in contention for the overall. Even after this stage he is almost 7 minutes back.

sfo, I agree, the race report you read does make it sound like Evans was not playing the part of a great helper.

I read a different report at Cyclingnews.com:

"Chavanel got dropped 7km before the top of the climb, and his team-mate Maxime Monfort waited for him. Approaching the 5km to go mark, Gesink surged in the front of the chasing group. The strongest climbers of the day appeared on his wheel: Cadel Evans, Yaroslav Popovych, Davide Rebellin and Fränk Schleck. They caught Voigt within 4km to go.

3.2km before the top, Gesink accelerated. Only Evans was able to follow him. Popovych was 30 seconds behind at the 2km to go mark. Gesink passed first at the KOM and Evans out-sprinted him on the finish line."

Definitely two different perspectives.

Phill P

by Phill P

I agree that I wouldn't be happy with somebody drafting me the entire way and out sprinting me. But Gesink would have gone that hard anyway as he was riding for the overall, which he now has.
Had Evans worked he would have been doing Popo harm by helping Gesink.

Lets face it. All the riders have radios. The team director would have told Popo to go with Gesink, he couldn't, nor could the other contendors around him. Evans had the gas and went with the directors orders, but did not help.

Popo still has a good chance at a podium, but less likely the overall, but the team has had a big name win a stage and the sponsor's names have been in all the photos.

Who know Gesink may have burnt himself out trying to drop Cadel. Time will tell.

Evans would have simply done as he was told, as he has done all week and hence he is in 16th place 6:40 down (saving himself to work for the team or for Popo)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

SFcyclist wrote:3.2km before the top, Gesink accelerated. Only Evans was able to follow him. Popovych was 30 seconds behind at the 2km to go mark. Gesink passed first at the KOM and Evans out-sprinted him on the finish line."

Definitely two different perspectives.

Will give you the right story (I saw it in video): Evans gives a hard work at the front immediately when they were 3 men left (Cadel, Gesink and Popo) but he definitely burn the legs of Popo who was starting to lose few meters, like 2 lengths. Evans looked at him, braking a bit and so Gesink immediatley put the hammer again (not really accelerating compared to Evans rythm before), Popo was suffering but Evans didn't hesitate between pacing his mate or jumping in the dutch wheel. :D Then he stayed in the wheel and pass the dutchman 50m before the line as Gesink was still hard to beat!!!

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

sfo423 wrote:From the race report I read:

Gesink dropped the hammer with 5km to go to ruin the overall chances for Luís León Sánchez (Caisse d’Epargne). The acceleration drew out Frank Schleck (CSC), Evans, Popovych, Rebellin and Nocentini. The latter two dropped on ramps as steep as 10 percent as Voigt latched on to the group to help Schleck as much as possible with about 4km to go.

Erm. Have you ever raced before? Like really races?

Evans covers the move from Gesink and Popo couldn't hold the wheel. You can tell Evans was covering by the fact he didn't pull and he takes the win to keep the time bonus from going to Gesink.

Popo can be the "team leader" but if you can't hold the wheel and you don't have the legs than being "team leader" doesn't matter. 2004 tour de france comes to mind as an example.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Skunk

by Skunk

Quotes from Velonews.com

Gesink wrote:I really wanted to win today. I said before the race started I wanted to win on Mont Ventoux, Evans sat on my wheel and I was not happy that he came around me to win. I made it a long sprint because I was trying to put as much time as possible into (Yaroslav) Popovych for the GC. I heard Popo yell to Evans to slow down, so that’s when I upped the tempo, I couldn’t drop Evans but I tried. I really wanted to win today alone on Ventoux

Evans wrote:Popovych and I still have to get used to riding together. He’s a good teammate and I wanted to help him today, We need to keep learning a little about each other

Gesink is amazing for being 21. Forget Contador Gesink is the future of cycling.

Zeed

by Zeed

2002SaecoReplica wrote:
sfo423 wrote:From the race report I read:

Erm. Have you ever raced before? Like really races?

Evans covers the move from Gesink and Popo couldn't hold the wheel. You can tell Evans was covering by the fact he didn't pull and he takes the win to keep the time bonus from going to Gesink.

Popo can be the "team leader" but if you can't hold the wheel and you don't have the legs than being "team leader" doesn't matter. 2004 tour de france comes to mind as an example.

:exactly:

Also, totally agree with Gesink being one of the future prospects of the sport. He is fast becoming one of my favorite riders...he's aggressive and isnt afraid to be the one making the moves

Skunk

by Skunk

Gesink only attacked because Popo was telling Evans to slow his tempo down. So in the end Gesink wouldve dropped him anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rayhuang

by rayhuang

Skunk wrote:Gesink only attacked because Popo was telling Evans to slow his tempo down. So in the end Gesink wouldve dropped him anyway.

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they could have done it through race radios so Gesink wouldnt get an earful of "I am dying, attack me now"!!
Last edited by rayhuang on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.