Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:49 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Natovi Landing
madcow wrote:

Shops cannot exist to only service products and handle warranties on items they never sold.


Disagree - they absolutely can. Why? because it's a service for which people are willing to pay. how many shops we'd have is another question ...

what you say can't exist is all around us with many other sectors ... car mechanics anyone?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:25 pm
Posts: 1
Well the link is down now.. I got in yesterday..hope it still goes through


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am
Posts: 3603
Location: A bigger rock in the Pacific (AUS)
sawyer wrote:
madcow wrote:

Shops cannot exist to only service products and handle warranties on items they never sold.


Disagree - they absolutely can. Why? because it's a service for which people are willing to pay. how many shops we'd have is another question ...


It's not viable, it would dramatically decrease the urban saturation of bike shops, and make bike shops in non-urban situations practically unfeasible. Bike shops, sure, they can pay shop staff sallaries out of servicing costs, but the big overheads - shop rental, marketing, utilities costs and all of that could not be supported on a service only basis. Support your shops.

_________________
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:47 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2898
Location: London, UK
Buy direct and you may have a warranty.

BUT - it is likely to be the bare minimum legally required. The consumer will be liable for all costs associated with the warranty like carriage to and from the manufacturer, labour to remove & refit the parts. And you can bet your arse that it the shop will not stretch the rules for you as they have no incentive to do so. You didn't buy it from a shop, because you wanted to bypass the retailer to save a few quid. The chances of you remembering their help when your next purchase comes along are slim at best.
Many premium brands are id'ing their production, so that they can track where they sent said part and whether it was intended for resale or manufacturer use. That is their right. Specialized & Trek don't undermine LBS's by doing this and they could take advantage of prices that PF can only dream of. Why? Because every dealer would drop them like a stone.
I will not stock certain brands for that very reason. Why should I invest in stock that I am unlikely to make anything on, because people only come to look and ask questions about it before going on line to save 10%?
That's why WW shops are few and far between. At this rate they'll be gone forever.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 am
Posts: 876
Location: Mallorca, Spain
I get the sense that a number of the posters here defend the rights of the manufacturers to limit "grey" imports as, quite rightly, the bike shops/retailers do need to be protected and supported to sustain their business model, and hence fix my expensive bike each time I do something stupid.

However, I believe there is an argument to prevent consumers being ripped off... retailers, wholesalers and even manufacturers charge the prices they do because they can, and are happy to gouge consumers in markets which have higher incomes and more disposable income..there was a test case 4 or 5 years ago in the UK where a major retailer wanted to import Levis jeans from the far East as they could offer them half or less of the UK rrp, much to Levis dislike, and Im pretty sure that there was some subsequent EU "guidelines" to ensure retailers were forbidden from selling below RRP in similar circumstances....

"Group Buys" like the Pedal Force at least can serve to keep the standard supply chain honest and efficient.

But having said that, go out and support your LBS!

_________________
"...when they pulled her from the wreck you know she still had on her shades..."


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1389
Location: Zion
If I buy a new wheel from the wrong outfit, I get no warranty? If it's factory new and indeed original, that's complete and utter BS.

If I pay too much for a factory new wheel, do I get a longer warranty? Of course not. If I buy from the wrong outfit, the warranty gets pulled?! One-sided warranty programs steam me (and I'm not even talking about the infamous fine print that exonerates the manufacturer from just about anything).

[My comments are not manufacturer-specific.]


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:54 pm 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2898
Location: London, UK
Johnny Rad wrote:
If I buy a new wheel from the wrong outfit, I get no warranty? If it's factory new and indeed original, that's complete and utter BS.

If I pay too much for a factory new wheel, do I get a longer warranty? Of course not. If I buy from the wrong outfit, the warranty gets pulled?! One-sided warranty programs steam me (and I'm not even talking about the infamous fine print that exonerates the manufacturer from just about anything).

[My comments are not manufacturer-specific.]
No not quite.
Your warranty is the responsibility of the outfit you bought it from (at least in th UK it is under the Sale of Goods Act).

This means that if there is a problem you have redress via that channel. If you choose to try your local stockist, he is under no obligation to you whatsoever. I've had numerous "customers" check out the latest bling in store and next time we see them they have said item on their bike. when you enquire where they ended up getting it, they utter the magic mantra "online, way cheaper". Only problem is that they rarely ever ask if you can do a better price. Price is important, I know. But there is value in paying more - if there is a problem 13 months on. Bought online - 12 months and that's it. Bought on the high st and that 13 months is 11 months. Because there is a positive rapport.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm
Posts: 2
cyclemanpat wrote:
i hit the link and cant get any Group Buy for wheels to show up? It says "no products available'. Is the wheel group buy gone now??


Does anyone know if this group buy has been withdrawn?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 am
Posts: 5752
Location: Phoenix Arizona
sawyer wrote:
madcow wrote:

Shops cannot exist to only service products and handle warranties on items they never sold.


Disagree - they absolutely can. Why? because it's a service for which people are willing to pay. how many shops we'd have is another question ...

what you say can't exist is all around us with many other sectors ...


car mechanics anyone?




You know of lots of Auto shops that don't sell parts AND labor???
Even for things like transmission / brakes / oil changes they are providing parts and labor. especially on non warranty things.

Even if that were not the case (and it is...) do you know many Auto shops that will let you bring in your own brake pads and rotors and will charge you $20 for the complete overhaul using your parts?

Or replace a car's transmission (if you can find the replacement transmission on ebay...) for $45 bucks?

Changing a tire (when you don't buy the tire from the shop) cost you $5 at what auto mechanic??



The dollars and volume involved in repair only are not enough to sustain a cycling business like they are for other industries...

Even in places like Holland and Asia where the pressures and volume are extremely viable and more main stream, service and supply is the norm.

In asia even the "mobile tire" guys that are in that culture carry parts and equipement and are not service only. Yet they are only trying to run a one man virtually no overhead opperation...

_________________
charles@pezcyclingnews.com


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm
Posts: 2
Skunk wrote:
The minimum advertising rule only applies to Pedal Force not consumers. They probably put that in their e-mail to cover their own ass.

I'm sorry if I violated some rule and if the Mods want to they can delete my post.


I just got an email from Pedal Force and they withdrew the wheelset group buy...thanks to people posting the prices! Thanks man


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 am
Posts: 5752
Location: Phoenix Arizona
eh,

That sounds perfectly reasonable, kinda, erm sorta maybe.


Good to know that It wasn't pulled because they were doing something they shouldn't have been.


damn customers, telling others about a perfectly legit deal always ruines things... em... YEP.


:lol:

_________________
charles@pezcyclingnews.com


Last edited by CharlesM on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Posts: 144
Since it has been pulled, what were the prices?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:19 am
Posts: 590
Location: nr Derby, UK
sawyer wrote:
madcow wrote:

Shops cannot exist to only service products and handle warranties on items they never sold.


Disagree - they absolutely can. Why? because it's a service for which people are willing to pay. how many shops we'd have is another question ...

what you say can't exist is all around us with many other sectors ... car mechanics anyone?


The difference is that modern cars are designed to be serviced ONLY by a qualified/equipped garage (which is a bit of a scam IMHO), where as older cars were to some extent user-serviceable in a straightforward manner. Bikes are very much easily user-serviceable unless you are a total muppet, so the servicing doesn't happen in the same way.
This is why I service all my own bikes and my 15 year-old BMW E30 touring myself :twisted:


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. SRAM Red XG-1190 cassette w/ Force 1 group. Why it doesn't work well???

in Road

gerardk1111

13

764

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:02 am

Marin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2016 Felt AR FRD and running Sram Force 1 mechanical group on it?

in Road

gerardk1111

3

376

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:48 pm

gerardk1111 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Best 10 speed group? Or try to convert wheelset?

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

loudtiger

33

2619

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 am

duvivr6 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New build, which group to use???

in Cyclocross / Gravel / Touring

jrobart

9

1671

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:04 pm

wheelsONfire View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. And the FSA wireless group set is out in the open

in Road

2old4this

0

298

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:15 am

2old4this View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: WheresWaldo and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited