vicks vaporub in nostril before a TT?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

shinkansen

by shinkansen

i've seen pros warming up with cotton buds stuffed into their noses. one friend says it's prob vicks vaporub. anyone know what they're using, and what the best method is? I have some vicks but it says don't put in nostrils...

airsoft510

by airsoft510

Two years ago i asked healthnet what they were putting in the cotton swabs while warming up for a TT. They said it was eucalyptus oil. I tired it out this year and it works very well for me (i have asthma and allergies).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shinkansen

by shinkansen

awesome, thought that's what it might be. Vicks has Eucalyptus in it... Moninger was one of the riders I saw warming up with it. I'll give it a whirl.. I also have asthma/allergies.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Use vicks and your nose is going to be running snot the whole time. Try it. Bad idea.

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

I always thought that it was jut to make you feel like you got in alot more oxygen when you pulled out the cotton right before the TT.
Hell yeah!

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

I use vics nasel spray before and after warming up.

Just dont take as much as it suggests. Your nose will be on fire in the morning otherwise. :?

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I've seen a few riders using cotton wool to blot nosebleeds too while warming up on the rollers before TT's. I assumed they just swallowed a load of caffeine pills to raise their blood pressure legally? It seemed half the Discovery team used to have nosebleeds warming up for the Team TT's in Armstrong's days?

MaestroXC

by MaestroXC

Seriously? I never saw any actual nosebleeds. Also, unlike now, I believe caffeine above a certain level was prohibited.
Zealots beware.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

And an urban legend is borne...

Aardvark

by Aardvark

MaestroXC wrote:Seriously? I never saw any actual nosebleeds. Also, unlike now, I believe caffeine above a certain level was prohibited.

No, they were cotton wads soaked with olbas(sp?) oil.
shut up and ride

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

You can see Eddy Merckx using eucalyptus oil prior to his world record run in Mexico in "tete de course" documentary.

Not recommended for long term use. Vapo rub is also dangerous when abused due to the camphor oil.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

hockinsk wrote:I've seen a few riders using cotton wool to blot nosebleeds too while warming up on the rollers before TT's. I assumed they just swallowed a load of caffeine pills to raise their blood pressure legally? It seemed half the Discovery team used to have nosebleeds warming up for the Team TT's in Armstrong's days?

Why would you want to raise your blood pressure? More likely blood thinners like coumarin used to counteract effects of RBC promoting agents.

Danton

by Danton

Yes, it is an old thing to put eucalyptus oil on cotton wool and then put this in your nose. It makes you start breathing with your mouth during the warm too, so you start breathing correctly too.

rustychain

by rustychain

I have used eucalyptus oil in the past when I used to fence saber. A touch on the mustachio works wonders but for only a short time. IMO eating a clove of raw garlic works much better. That will clear your head and is good for you. Keeps away the groupies too :wink:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

rustychain wrote:IMO eating a clove of raw garlic works much better. That will clear your head and is good for you. Keeps away the vampires too :wink:

Fixed, but clearly, you have the kvorka with women.