HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 am 

Location: UCSB, Visalia CA, Charleston SC, and now Kansas City
. my gf asked me to explain the whole "let levi ride" thing to her, and then led to her question of "what did astana ever do to the frnech" and then i remembered..... last year when moreau was doing pretty well in the tour then vino and the rest of astana jumped him on a windy stage and split the pack and left him in the dust, losing time and basically any chance of the podium?

am i crazy or could this be part of the decision to exclude astana

ps which stage was that?

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:50 am 

The reason is a little bit more serious, althought not totally fair.
Especially for you guys in USA.

Anyway there are already many topics on this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:08 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

This is a fair topic...

And no. Astana didn't kill Christoph, they were simply using all their weapons the way they should...

Also note that despite Astana winning 4 stages of the Dauphine, Christoph won the race. Astana were doing what they should do and were the best "equiped" team to play that out. Astana punished everyone on the road (as it turns out, they kicked so much ass in that tour that they've likely changed this one...)

Moreau was more a hero for blowing up than he was for being well placed... I had more respect for him last year than at any time in his career and it was due in part to the explosion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:51 pm 

kwazi wrote:
"what did astana ever do to the frnech"

Not the French didn't invite Levi, the ASO didn't, and not finishing the Tour in two consecutive years because of doping in the team might have something to do with that also.

Lance wasn't too popular among the French population either and "they" never banned his team.

Pez, do you mean that ASO changed the profile of this years tour, so that no team can dominate this race?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 pm 

Ypsylon wrote:
kwazi wrote:

Pez, do you mean that ASO changed the profile of this years tour, so that no team can dominate this race?

look at it from a different perspective - the giro and the vuelta are tremendously up&down-stage races, their 'fat guys' probably go there and seek for even the smallest bump on the road. given spain and italy have some top-class 'skinnies', makes those races so cool.

the french don't have any 'export' climbers - that's what unables them to win a race with crucial stages set in high mountains.

is there a conspiracy behind it, i don't know, but it would be a typical aso style to do that kind of thing

one more thing - i simply BET they'd ban Lance and whatever team he'd ride from the tdf....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:31 pm 

Ypsylon wrote:
kwazi wrote:

Not the French didn't invite Levi, the ASO didn't, and not finishing the Tour in two consecutive years because of doping in the team might have something to do with that also.

Lance wasn't too popular among the French population either and "they" never banned his team.

At that time they couldn't, now ASO plays by there ruels. Who will and can tell them what to do?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:34 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

Ypsylon wrote:

No, I mean that Astana's actions are being felt this year as much as last... Not for good reasons, but there are a few other threads going about that.

The tour rout the last couple of years, including this year, have been pretty good.

I mean to say Astana, strictly as it relates to Moreau, were doing nothing wrong in their actions in last years tour. They had three very strong men and they would have been best served pounding the field the way they did, with or without Christoph.

After Christoph beat their team in the dauphine, Astana were probably happy that he cracked so hard, but I think it was indirect result rather than their goal.

In the end, Moreau appears to have come out better for it either way, and hi did ride and attack and entertain last year... If Olny Cadel would ride with that type of heart. But then if he did he may also have had that same type of result... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:02 pm 

One way or another a Frenchman will win the Tour again :wink:

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 pm 

Unfortunatly for the riders on Astana - they've already been tarnished by the reopening of Puerto to examine Contrador, which certainly wouldn't have helped their application to race the tour as well.

I don't necessarily think the ASO are doing the right thing, but it is their prerogative.

I almost miss Mr Search...