Looking for a little input from fellow WW's on a legal bike vs car subject. I'm based in Hawaii, USA so laws from other countries aren't applicable. OK, here's my situation...
1) I was going through an interesection when an oncoming car entered the intersection after me, made a left turn into my path, resulting in my hitting the car and going flying.
2) The driver stopped, came over to see me, dialled 911, and waited for the ambulance to arrive.
3) Ambulance arrived, took me away.
4) Cops took 40mins to drive 0.9 miles from their HQ to the accident scene. By the time they arrived, the driver had presumably left.
5) I filed a police report the next morning as the cops didn't bother to come and get a report from me at the hospital
6) Had a few injuries which are healing... 8 stitches to a finger which now has some loss of feeling, and a painful hip that's getting physio.
7) Main bike damage is a 3-week old Cervelo R3SL with a cracked top tube. Looks like maybe it's only clear coat, but I guess there's still some risk riding it.
I don't have car insurance... Only covered by my work's insurance, presumably during business-hours only, and not while out training! No renters insurance either.
What would you guys do in this situation? I'm left footing bills for all of this, cops haven't been of any use getting my the drivers info from his 911 call. Supposedly they can get it but I'll have to hire a lawyer to sue them to release that info - Proving to be a little difficult to find a lawyer to do that.
Would appreciate any advice...
If the driver hit you and left before the police showed up that's a felony hit and run going by the letter of the law. Contact a lawyer and see what they can do for you. If you know who hit you, you certainly have recourse against them, even if the police are not helpful. There is always civil court.