Time for Floyd (and other cyclists) to stop whining

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

swinter

by swinter

A lot of people like to point out that cycling takes a bigger hit on doping than other, richer sports (such as FIFA and American baseball). And there's some truth to that. On the other hand, not a lot of cyclists busted for doping have actually served jail time. Today, Marion Jones was sentenced to six months in prison for lying (and not coming completely clean) about her doping.

[url] http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/12/sport ... ref=slogin[/url ]

I think we'll see more of this as the Mitchell Report settles in.

Time for Floyd to stop whining about how unfairly he was treated -- see http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13885.0.html-- and either come clean or get on with his life.
Last edited by swinter on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I know I am going to get flamed but after reading three quarters of his book I am beginning to be convinced he wasn't doping and the tests themselves possibly were flawed.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

swinter

by swinter

not going to flame you. but maybe you should read a couple of other books -- and arbitrators' opinions -- before you make up your mind. obviously, floyd's book is going to be a bit one sided.

BTW, can anyone actually read my post? in my browser it is for some reason showing up as empty.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

pinkpanther

by pinkpanther

Keep reading it gets very interesting. I read it all before one week ago and it says some interesting things. As for the test results you have to decide for yourself what to believe.
For me somethings wrong not from the athletes site.....
motivation can't take you very far if you don't have the legs

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

swinter wrote:BTW, can anyone actually read my post? in my browser it is for some reason showing up as empty.

Blank for me too........
I just thought you were speechless.
MyGiant! MyScalpel!
".....but our amps go to eleven"

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

pinkpanther wrote:Keep reading it gets very interesting. I read it all before one week ago and it says some interesting things. As for the test results you have to decide for yourself what to believe.
For me somethings wrong not from the athletes site.....

Not only the test results but the whole system. 65 people went to arbritration and not a single one was overturned. I base part of my opinion also on what type of person I think Floyd is. At the very least the system is really f****D up.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I thought the first 2/3 of the book was good but the last part about the testing and laboratory and legal stuff was brutal to get through. My opinion is the system definately needs work and I think Floyd felt that he had lost the tour on that stage and he knew his career was in jeopardy due to his hip replacement and saw this as last resort. I think he did it. I wonder how he would have road that stage 17 (I think) if the Doctor or Trainer just used some sort of placebo.

swinter

by swinter

Very few arbitration decisions in any field are overturned. There's nothing unusual about that.

I find it depressing that people are so snookered by stardom and hero-worship that facts don't seem to persuade them. The fact is that Floyd tested positive for exogenous (i.e., not made by his body, synthetic) testosterone. That test was done by a different lab, with no procedural irregularities. (Floyd actually won his challenge to the original French lab findings based on the failure to follow protocols.)

He doped. He got caught. He continues to deny. And some of you believe him.

Maybe a jail term for a prominent cyclist caught doping would do us all some good.

swinter

by swinter

CaptainWilier wrote:I just thought you were speechless.

I did consider that response. It would be appropriate, too. :wink:

Gregorio

by Gregorio

swinter wrote:He doped. He got caught. He continues to deny. And some of you believe him.

Maybe a jail term for a prominent cyclist caught doping would do us all some good.

Friends of mine think he is innocent and I do not understand how they could possibly see it that way.
Jail time would be a great and I wish it would be the standard.

amos

by amos

Gregorio wrote:Jail time would be a great and I wish it would be the standard.

Now that Marion Jones has been sent to jail for lying to a grand jury maybe we can start hauling guys like Floyd and Tyler in front of one to see if that makes them change their tune.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com